Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My wife doesn't believe there is such as thing as MAS

Default Re: My wife doesn't believe there is such as thing as MAS

As weird, middle-aged hoarding behavior goes, I tell my wife that this is fairly harmless. Instruments mostly hold their value, as noted before, and mando's aren't that big. Still, sometimes I look at the pile of cases and see a trip to Italy not taken. Then I trade some more.

My wife's idea is that we should have a club that buys great and interesting instruments, and that we all pay a subscription to join, and then get to "check out" a Nugget, an Ellis, a Kimball mandola, etc. each month. Sometimes we could pay membership with an instrument if we find something cool.

I like this idea, but I think it will not work. I suspect too many of us like the horse trading/hunting as much as the sampling and ownership.

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    I am lucky my spouse plays guitar,
    OK ...

has learned a few chords on the mandolin
    Even better ...

and likes to go fishing,
    OK ...

and also wants a banjo
    Uh-oh! She needs help - fast! Before the damage is permanent. Better call somebody!
    Last edited by journeybear; Feb-18-2015 at 9:36am.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

3. The following members say thank you to journeybear for this post:

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Shoes and Handbags are the more common acquisition syndromes among the fairer sex ....... SSAS and CHBAS Sexy Shoe Acquisition Syndrome and Cute Hand Bag Acquisition Syndrome ....... no cure is in sight .... not sure anyone is looking ...
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darrylicshon View Post
    I am lucky my spouse plays guitar, has learned a few chords on the mandolin and likes to go fishing, and also wants a banjo
    Does she have a sister??
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

mandolin slinger Steve Ostrander's Avatar

MAS is a fever, and the only cure is more mandolins!
    Living’ in the Mitten

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ostrander View Post
    MAS is a fever, and the only cure is more mandolins!
    More and more mandolins is treatment there is no cure

I've got BAS, too. That's Bicycle Acquisition Syndrome. Life's getting expensive...

Blog Entries

I find there is relief from MAS. Its not a cure, but complete and total, albeit temporary relief.

And that is to play the darn thing. I get so much fun out of playing I forget all the mandolins I don't yet own. Its worth a shot anyway.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

10. The following members say thank you to JeffD for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Baldridge View Post
    This is simple; divorce her.
    Not a good idea if she ends up with half the instruments.

I've checked out other forums around the webz and it seems that fill-in-the-blank acquisition syndrome is a widespread phenomena, exacerbated with instruments (and other doodads) that are conveniently small, show wide variety of styles-shapes-sounds, and affordable for the average income.

The only other item I ever got really passionate about collecting was comics, and then regular books, and now I have maybe 60-70 of those cubical U-Haul boxes full of books -- occupying about half a room and stacked such that I can't even access most of them without first moving a bunch of boxes out of the way. I promise myself someday I will "thin out" the library but every time I pick up a book from my endless stacks I can find an excuse to rationalize keeping it.

I've got a few hundred CDs too but thankfully I never got bit by the audiophile bug; I don't get all sentimental about vinyl or most of my CDs and when I can rip one to a digital file I'll usually discard the disk.

I've found that the way to avoid MAS is diversity. I play a lot of different instruments on a regular basis and have never had more than 2 of any one of them at a time (harmonicas don't count because you have to buy so many keys). The amount of time I spend with each instrument is reflected in the order listed:

Mandolins: 1 F-style(22 yrs), 1 8str electric(7 yrs); Guitars: 1 dreadnaught(20 yrs), 1 travel (1 yr); Banjo: 1 resonator(21 yrs), 1 open back (10 yrs); Harmonicas: 1 in each of the major keys and most of the minor keys; 1 Fender Precision bass(40 yrs), Keys: 1 weighted 88 (~15 yrs), 1 melodica(1 yr); Drums: Moroccan bongos (10 yrs), maple snare(15 yrs).

I admit that I miss having an electric guitar every once in a long while, and from my recording days I have more mics than I should, so I may be in denial, but name your acquisition syndrome and it's more about impulse control than anything else.
    Steve Lavelle
    '93 Flatiron Performer F
    Customized Eastwood Mandocaster (8str)

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkwood View Post
    I've found that the way to avoid MAS is diversity. I play a lot of different instruments on a regular basis and have never had more than 2 of any one of them at a time (harmonicas don't count because you have to buy so many keys). The amount of time I spend with each instrument is reflected in the order listed:

Mandolins: 1 F-style(22 yrs), 1 8str electric(7 yrs); Guitars: 1 dreadnaught(20 yrs), 1 travel (1 yr); Banjo: 1 resonator(21 yrs), 1 open back (10 yrs); Harmonicas: 1 in each of the major keys and most of the minor keys; 1 Fender Precision bass(40 yrs), Keys: 1 weighted 88 (~15 yrs), 1 melodica(1 yr); Drums: Moroccan bongos (10 yrs), maple snare(15 yrs).

I admit that I miss having an electric guitar every once in a long while, and from my recording days I have more mics than I should, so I may be in denial, but name your acquisition syndrome and it's more about impulse control than anything else.
    what you have my friend is IAS

15. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Skunkwood View Post

nah...that never worked for me.

i've got 5 mandos

7 elec basses/ 1 upright

12 gtrs

1 vibraphone (after all...I vibe!)

1 marimba

1 malletKAT
    just groove, baby!

I still need your string labels!

Quote Originally Posted by Mandoplumb View Post
    what you have my friend is IAS
    Or just plain old Gear Acquisition Syndrome--because GAS sounds better...

I like variety--so any future instrument purchases will likely be things I don't have--like maybe a keyboard, a banjitar, a reso, a balalaika, a tres or something like that.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Remember that scene in the wand shop in the first Harry Potter book. "The wand chooses the wizard, Mr Potter" ? Well..... Does that hold true in mandolin shops? "It chose me, I had to buy it!"

Quote Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
    Remember that scene in the wand shop in the first Harry Potter book. "The wand chooses the wizard, Mr Potter" ? Well..... Does that hold true in mandolin shops? "It chose me, I had to buy it!"
    Never works for me, told my wife "it spoke to me I have to buy it" she says to tell it to shut up and come on home.

20. The following members say thank you to Mandoplumb for this post:

My wife uses the line, "If you really need it......." Catholic guilt normally kicks in then.

No Bill, your theory isn't true. I don't play my mandolin out in public much, yet less than a month ago MAS struck and before 6 hours were up, I had purchased another one. It didn't help that the seller advertised here on MC and was only a 20 minute drive from my house. And no, I can't explain why I felt compelled to look through the classified that morning went I hadn't done so anytime in the last six months. Needless to say, I'm jazzed about the Flatiron Festival I brought home.

And Jackgaryk, I've got one you need to buy and put in your camper! :-)
    Sheryl --- Me

23. The following members say thank you to Sheryl McDonald for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mcH View Post
    No Bill, your theory isn't true. I don't play my mandolin out in public much, yet less than a month ago MAS struck and before 6 hours were up, I had purchased another one. It didn't help that the seller advertised here on MC and was only a 20 minute drive from my house. And no, I can't explain why I felt compelled to look through the classified that morning went I hadn't done so anytime in the last six months. Needless to say, I'm jazzed about the Flatiron Festival I brought home.

hehe...i'll keep that in mind if I ever get a camper

If you are talking about my theory it clearly states that in person contact is not necessary. I expressly noted that visiting this forum was all the exposure needed to catch MAS.
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by RichardF View Post
    I've felt this with each instrument I've bought--and it's happened with many I haven't.
    but the ones I bought screamed, "Buy me!" the others whispered it.

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zedmando View Post
    I've felt this with each instrument I've bought--and it's happened with many I haven't.
    but the ones I bought screamed, "Buy me!" the others whispered it.
    I guess it works like that for me, too, but on a more subconcious level. When I need something new, no matter what kind of gadget/gear that may be, the following sequence unfolds:

1 - I have a perfectly working item I am happy with, but I keep myself informed about other options and what I would choose for a replacement if neccessary,
    2 - The perfectly working item promptly breaks down on me/gets lost/whatever,
    3 - The replacement I had in mind is readily available at a discount.

Creepy. Things not only call out to me, they even kill each other to be my own
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

Quote Originally Posted by Bertram Henze View Post

Creepy. Things not only call out to me, they even kill each other to be my own
    Hmm, in my case there's only ever been one per store that was screaming--but hey--if they fight for you--you have to buy them.

No Bill, your theory isn't true. I don't play my mandolin out in public much, yet less than a month ago MAS struck and before 6 hours were up, I had purchased another one. It didn't help that the seller advertised here on MC and was only a 20 minute drive from my house. And no, I can't explain why I felt compelled to look through the classified that morning went I hadn't done so anytime in the last six months.
    "Just keeping an eye on the market" (my favorite excuse for having a bunch of stuff on my Watch List that I really don't intend to buy, but maybe will.)

Blog Entries

I guess I'm lucky, I don't even own a mandolin. However, I have LTAS (Luthier Tool Acquisition Syndrome) - on the hunt for a bandsaw now!

(Although I do like my CBOMS)
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce