Thread: Grisman

Is anyone aware of availabilty of any/all tunes on the original DGQ album in tab and chords? Haven't had any luck searching so far. Thanks.
    j pickens

You can find some in Tabledit on the Madozine site, transcriptions of some of the solos even.....then of course you can find the head and chords of several of the tunes in the David Grisman instruction book & CD's put out by Homespun. David talks you thru the tunes on the CD's, highly recommended if you want to play Dawg music.

I fine David's stuff really complicated. And a person will never sound like the Dawg himself. And yes mandozine has a good bit of Grisman. Him and Thile and Bush know how to make some tunes as hard as they can.

I wish i could do that.

Every tune on the first DGQ record is a gas. Robert Bowlin laid out a gorgeous twin to Opus 57 years ago, basically a tenor harmony to the minor head, for all 3 parts. That chit is fun to pick.

And many of the tunes aren't as hard as PGA mandobro thinks they are......now I'll agree the solos those pros take are difficult, but the basic head and chords aren't any harder than some fiddle tunes or BG instrumentals. Opus 38 was my first tune, and several of the first album tunes aren't so bad if you slow them down to puppyDAWG speed. EMD only has 5 chords that repeat, isn't even a bridge, and it might be chords like Emin7th, but G pentatonic licks fit pretty well over them......and EMD has a groove at any speed, it is a FUN jammin' tune.

If you can play something like Sweet Georgia Brown, you certainly could learn one like Dawgmatism or Dawgma....the head chords of those ones are similar to Autumn Leaves. Opus 38, the head chords are similar to Lonesome fiddle blues. And just the Dawg versions of standards like Soldiers Joy, or Red Haired Boy, or Boston Boy make you sound hip compared to some of the tamer versions. Look into finding 10 Tunes in 9 Keys by Grisman for those standards.....all in tab. There is a misconception about these tunes, sure some of them are harder than others...but the pickers in Grisman's band & the alumni are SUPER pickers, they can make anything sound fabulous, & their improvisations are advanced, but you don't need to be Mike Marshall to play Cedar Hill. The head & chords of these kinda tunes aren't any harder than Django tunes or, Swing tunes. And I'll tell ya, like AlanN says "That chit is fun to pick!"

ashemando- IMHO, your best bet by FAR is the Grisman homespun recordings- Dawgtracks and the Dawg mandolin series. Not every tune on the first LP is there but I'm guessing there's more than enough there to keep you busy for a while ; ). Not aware of any free tab for these tunes. My experience is that dawg music is a big pool with a deep end.

Arthur's advice is right on, and there is much pleasure in the shallow end (like memorizing the chords to EMD and a single version to play), but it's hard to ignore the fact that you can't really improvise over the changes in most of his tunes without learning basic jazz theory. That said, do as Mistah Stern suggests- slow your favorite tune down (Blue Midnight at 1/2 speed anyone?) and have at it! Post a tune you want help on and I bet you find some love here... : )

Anybody know where I can find the Tab or Tabledit for Grisman's Telluride?

Treblemaker