Thread: New player string question

Default New player string question

Just got my new [used] mandolin this week. It came set up nicely and the intonation is great, but it could use a new set of strings. I'm just looking for some recommendations... I was looking at some D'addario EJ74s. I like D'addario strings on my hollow body guitars, but don't know anything about their mandolin strings. Thanks, guys!

Blog Entries

Default Re: New player string question

What kind of mandolin?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

EJ74 are the standard in mandolin strings and a great place to start.

With that being said.. I tend to like a rounder tone and use Daddario EFW74 flatwounds as they give me the tone I am after.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Blog Entries

Most people will assume you mean an archtop modern mandolin. The EJ74 are a normal place to start. I also like the flat wounds and even the Silk N Bronze or Silk N Steel for a warmer sound than the brighter EJ74s. Finding a good mix of string and pick material is a fun and potentially inexpensive way to change the voice of your mandolin.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Don't laugh, but it's a Hohner HFM-100. I got it for $200. I've been playing guitar for 20 years, but I'm new to the mandolin. I'm really impressed with the set up and play of this Hohner; especially since it's on the lower end of the spectrum quality wise.

I'm not a fan of flatwounds on guitar, but I wouldn't rule them out on the mando. I want something that will sound good, but be conducive to learning the instrument and fret board (more like transcribing) all over again.

A digital caliper can measure the existing string thicknesses , to have a frame of reference .

Set Spec short hand is the thickness of the G and E strings 40-11 heavier 36-10 lighter
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Judging by what I like on guitar, the 40-11s are more my speed...

new mandolin, new strings, now it's time to get some new picks. let the fun begin.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackgaryk View Post
    new mandolin, new strings, now it's time to get some new picks. let the fun begin.
    This may sound ignorant, but is there a big difference between picks? I've been using regular guitar picks to fool attend this week. I like my picks on the thicker side. I typically use Dunlop 73s for guitar (88s on an acoustic).

I am fairly new to the mandolin myself. It will be a year next month since I started. Thanks to The Mandolin Café I have learned so much. Yes...I believe there is a big difference in picks. Search around in the cafe forums. There's tons of info on picks. I have been having a lot of fun trying different picks.

Blog Entries

I think picks make a much bigger difference on mandolin than they do on guitar. Not sure why. Maybe because the mandolin being smaller and so tightly strung, everything seems to make a big difference.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post

With that being said.. I tend to like a rounder tone and use Daddario EFW74 flatwounds as they give me the tone I am after.
    I thought J74 strings were the standard. What's the difference between the two?

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

Grossly simplified, mandolin players are divided in two categories: those who like Ring-a-ding sound and tend to use sharper picks and new roundwound strings, and those who like a drier Regg-a-degg sound achieved with stubbier picks and old or flatwound strings...
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I guess I fit into the first category. That sound is what got me wanting to try mandolin. I do some recording, and though I'm not a Bluegrass gut, I love that sound and it's potential to be used in different styles of music.

I had to Google that particular make of mandolin. Looks cool and nothing to be ashamed of. For starters on string/pick combination (which is a WAY bigger deal on mandolin than guitar) I'd go with EJ74s and a standard heavy guitar pick. Try using the rounded edge of the pick rather than the pointy end. You'll play faster and smoother, and it'll just sound better. Try it and you'll see. Have fun.

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by banjoboy View Post
    I thought J74 strings were the standard. What's the difference between the two?

EJ74 is the new name of J74.
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

D'Addiario EJ74 or 75's are a fine place to start, DR is another string brand to investigate ..check out http://Juststrings.com. IMO a thicker pick is needed to drive the shorter string ...... check out a Wegan 1.2 ...... pick shape will require some experimentation on your part...... and many players use a teardrop shaped pick .... take your time and enjoy the hunt ..... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...