Thread: Picking f5 vs f4

Default Picking f5 vs f4

Since getting the Ellis, I have been playing it almost exclusively. After getting off the computer this afternoon, I went to the couch both were on and grabbed the Hester F4 since the Ellis F5 was in the case. The sound I was getting was really poor, I figured it was out of key and spent time tuning it. It still sounded rough. Then my wife came home we had dinner and she went to bed early. I was really mellow and came up to the studio area again. Picked up the Hester playing really lightly and POW great sound was there. I realize that I was trying to drive the Hester the way I drive the Ellis. It really is not made for that. The Hester really responds more to a delicate feel and then really sings. My poor approach was what made the Hester sound so poorly in the afternoon. Music is so much fun.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

Default Re: Picking f5 vs f4

Fun Yes! Sometimes I get on an oval hole trip and play my A4 for a few days. Then other times I'll get the Goldrush out and do the same thing with it. It's so fun to feel and hear the differences. Both of mine can be played hard or soft but each really changes in tone and sound with all of the approaches you take with them. I feel I'm learning how they are and take advantage at times to play soft or hard driving depending on what embellishments I am attempting if that makes any sense. I put new strings on the F5 about 3 days ago and put it in the case and have been playing the A4. Now I'm thinking I better break-in the new strings
    I Pick, Therefore I Grin! ... "Good Music Any OLD-TIME"

1922 Gibson F2
    2006 Gibson F5 Goldrush
    2015 Martin HD28-V
    2017 Gibson J45

3. The following members say thank you to woodwizard for this post:

Funny, I too often struggle with adapting my playing style between my vintage F4 and my Ellis F5. Yes, they do take a different approach to bring out the best. The Ellis, of course, can be driven as hard as I like, or as softly as I like, and it will sound great either way. My F4 seems a bit moodier. Sometimes it only wants to be played softly. But other times, I can drive it pretty hard and it will sound pretty good. But of course, being an oval hole, it just won't provide the punch that an f-hole mandolin would.

5. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

I have found that even happens between two F-5 models, something about the conditions in the house and the weather, I know sometimes a mandolin will go sharp when sitting around and not being played for a day or so and then when it is put back in the proper tuning it will sound great....Just one of the conditions that makes mandolin playing a mystery....

We all need a change of pace now and then...Just enjoy the playing of both styles....

Willie

Registered User Atlanta Mando Mike's Avatar

Mandolins are more fickle than women

Blog Entries

I have and play both ovals and f holes. For most things I prefer the oval hole.

While it doesn't universally apply, I came up with this perhaps over broad generalization: when you want the mandolin to sound great, chose the f holes, when you want the music to sound great chose the oval holes.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JeffD For This Useful Post:

After writing the original post, I spent some time with the F4 and realized that the action had lowered and that was what causing the poor tone was not my "driving" the F4, but low action that caused a light string buzz. After raising the bridge twice, the tone came back. You can now "drive" the F4 just like you can the F5. That being said, the F4 does produce chop chords with the pop of the F5, but it really is not designed to.
    Tony Huber
    1930 Martin Style C #14783
    2011 Mowry GOM
    2013 Hester F4 #31
    2014 Ellis F5 #322
    2017 Nyberg Mandola #172

hey tony,
    this is embarrassingly "a first world problem",
    but the 4 that gail made me can stand up easily to a well made 5...
    and there are times i'm after one sound or the other.
    they are just different..
    like sometimes one wants beans and sometimes broccoli...
    both sweet with a different flavor..

now, when my A5 comes, i'll be able to send a report
    as to how those two compare, coming from the same bench..
    Tony Hannock
    ..long live the small fish..

gibson #28855 1916A
    hester #026 F4, hester true A5..#034

joe gallacher '1' size and 00-21 12 fretters.
    gibson lg-0 '68 (wood bridge, solid spruce top)
    eastman slope shoulder jumbo (E10SS)
    '63 strat, gibson '68 ES-335, guitar mill tele '53 Black Guard

Jeff,,,I find it really interesting what you said about F holes and the mandolin and a sound hole and the music.ive been thinking about this all night,sort of.you have a good point.its hard to explain,when I play my F hole mandolins,the sound like goes right into my ears,sometimes pierces them,my sound hole instrument,a 1918 A 4 ,I picked because of how loud it is.but its a different loud..the instrument is really responsive and the sound seems to fill the air,,it's like instead of in your face,the whole frequency of the instrument fills the room...

Different tools for making music. As you can see from my avatar, they're both in my herd...

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Last night at our gig, the first set was old timey with clawhammer banjo, I used my Poe F4. The second set was bluegrass with Scruggs style banjo, I used my Collings F5. It was nice to have the option to choose.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PoeAndCollings 02.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	281.2 KB 
ID:	133385  
    Old Hometown, Cabin Fever String Band

Sometimes "pulling" good tone from an instrument can sometimes surpass great volume derived from using large amounts of energy. I think of Ira Louvin and John Reischman and Tony Williamson regarding pulling great tone that surpasses powerful volume.
    Raphael Ciani Galiano circa 1920
    Gibson F-5G FB 2003
    John D'Angelico 1933
    Vivitone Acoustic #338 circa 1933
    Gibson F4 1915 Blacktop
    Shutt/ Harmony Viol Mandolin circa 1930