Thread: new axe at the house

Default new axe at the house

i had recently been in contact with NF regarding the A style M they are building in the states-unfortunately at this time the only nut width offered is 1 1/8".

i had been looking for something different vs the tones of the Collings MT and Weber BitterRoot that reside at home. a friend emailed right about the time i got the message from NF regarding the M, and said there was a stellar NF FS5 at Tejonmusic. I like working with Sean and John(son and father)(this is where my amazing Collings MT came from, and its what everything gets compared to). called them up and had it sent my way.

i had previously played two older NF F5's and while good mandolins, neither did it for me.

This one has the wider nut width at 1 3/16", a one piece back, and has a well balanced warm punchy tone. Adi top and i'm not sure of the maple on the back. The fretboard has the "modern" setup with radius and larger fretwire.

A few things i really like about this mandolin:

The feel. I'm a diehard satin body type person, i like the looks and feel of a satin finish.
    The tuners(schaller is what is listed) are silky smooth with zero binding and no sense of loading up as you reach tune-they work and hold tune just right.
    The tailpiece. This is the best tailpiece i've changed strings on. The posts are angled slightly back, have a small detent area in the back, and the string loop slides easily down and latch onto the post. The strings pull thru each hole easily and handily. It looks good too IMO.
    The action came low and buzz free. I adjusted(removed) some relief(comes with a truss rod tool!) and found the truss rod nut area had excellent access for the tool-nut turned smoothly and adjusted instantly).
    The build quality is very very near perfect. I consider Collings the top tier in build quality and cleanliness. This NF is just about there. Only a few small finish areas under the elevated fretboard region draws the rating down. The finish thru out the top/back/sides is beautiful and without blemish.
    Came with a nice TKL hardshell case.

The mandolin begs to be played. That says a lot right there. You want to have it in hand all the time. The notes are thick and rich, and very clear. And it plays so easy.
    Thanks to Peter and team at NF for such a wonderful mandolin.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

Default Re: new axe at the house

went out to walk the dogs, returned home an hour later and found the neck gnomes had visited my house........................

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to darylcrisp For This Useful Post:

very pretty. congrats!
    --------------------------------
    1920 Lyon & Healy bowlback
    1923 Gibson A-1 snakehead
    1952 Strad-o-lin
    1983 Giannini ABSM1 bandolim
    2009 Giannini GBSM3 bandolim
    2011 Eastman MD305

"i had recently been in contact with NF regarding the A style M they are building in the states-unfortunately at this time the only nut width offered is 1 1/8". "

I did not know that National Freight built mandolins. And does James Bond know that an A-style M is available?

In other words who are you talking about? I can only speculate that it is Northfield (one word).
    Bill Snyder

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Snyder View Post
    "i had recently been in contact with NF regarding the A style M they are building in the states-unfortunately at this time the only nut width offered is 1 1/8". "

I did not know that National Freight built mandolins. And does James Bond know that an A-style M is available?

In other words who are you talking about? I can only speculate that it is Northfield (one word).

Blog Entries

If it begs to be played, shouldn't it have strings on it?

Looks like a great mandolin!
    Jason Anderson

"...while a great mandolin is a wonderful treat, I would venture to say that there is always more each of us can do with the tools we have available at hand. The biggest limiting factors belong to us not the instruments." Paul Glasse

Stumbling Towards Competence

Yay! So glad you like it. I love mine and haven't put it down yet!

Blog Entries

Most mandolins play much easier with strings.

Just sayin....

Looks amazing.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

its those neck gnomes, they took the strings off when they did the speed neck.

she's all back together now and sounds fantastic, this is one seriously nice sounding mandolin

thanks for looking
    d

You know, that back is beautiful! I like the finish too, mine has the varnish which I really like a lot, my Eastman had the satin finish. I had Northfield do the speed neck for mine which I really like. The neck on my Eastman had been getting very smooth from a combo of playing it and I'd take some sandpaper to it from time to time to smooth it out.

The scroll work and the sunburst are very nice! I see there is no inlay on the headstock except for the name but I think it looks elegant. I like the line down the back of the neck as well.

Are you going to put the pick guard on or leave it off?

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    You know, that back is beautiful! I like the finish too, mine has the varnish which I really like a lot, my Eastman had the satin finish. I had Northfield do the speed neck for mine which I really like. The neck on my Eastman had been getting very smooth from a combo of playing it and I'd take some sandpaper to it from time to time to smooth it out.

The scroll work and the sunburst are very nice! I see there is no inlay on the headstock except for the name but I think it looks elegant. I like the line down the back of the neck as well.

Are you going to put the pick guard on or leave it off?
    Diane

the back is very beautiful, there's a neat organic look to it. the whole mandolin has this "old world" look due to the color tone of the finish-i really like the looks.

not a pickguard type player-don't care for them, so its off for good.

when you have time, and if you don't mind, post a picture of your neck here-i'd like to see how it looks compared to mine.
    does yours feel as if its bare wood?

this was the first "speed neck" i've done and i'm pleased with how it turned out. i need to give Michael Lewis and Steve Sorenson a big thank , they both offered advise on some things to do and it turned out as an easy, very controlled job. whole thing took maybe 40 minutes.

here's mine, i may "blend" in the finish a little more at both ends, maybe not, its nice and works fine as is:

Hi Daryl, here's a few pics, kind of glarey on the kitchen counter, I can take some others if you'd like.

The neck is not bare wood, a very thin finish of some type is there, it's very, very smooth.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	149 
Size:	129.6 KB 
ID:	129595Click image for larger version. 

Views:	163 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	129596Click image for larger version. 

Views:	152 
Size:	178.6 KB 
ID:	129597Click image for larger version. 

Views:	136 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	129598

thanks BSG

those are perfect
    d

updated photo

Blog Entries