Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidification Results from a Skeptic

Default Re: Humidification Results from a Skeptic

[QUOTE=sgrexa;1367418]I live in the Northeast USA just outside of Philadelphia with hot, damp summers and relatively cold, dry winters. I have historically never followed the "proper" humidifying recommendations in 35 years of owning guitars and mandolins of all kinds. Knock on crack free wood, I never had any problems other than minor action adjustments during severe cold spells with lots of dry, forced air heat. I generally keep all my instruments in their cases when not in use and use a small room humidifier in the room I store all of my instruments only occasionally when I feel things are getting really dry in winter. I do not recommend this of course, but it has seemed to work for me. If I lived in the desert, I would surely think and act differently.

Sean (QUOTE)

Totally agree, it is something nobody ever thought of until somebody started marketing humidifiers back in the 70's/80's. Doubtful if Bill Monroe gave a rat's rear end to humidification (and he did pretty well......)

Of course, museums have known about it for years....

Is is necessary? I don't know. Can it give you peace of mind? Possibly.

[QUOTE=Jeff Mando;1367429]
    Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post

Totally agree, it is something nobody ever thought of until somebody started marketing humidifiers back in the 70's/80's. Doubtful if Bill Monroe gave a rat's rear end to humidification (and he did pretty well......)

Of course, museums have known about it for years....

Is is necessary? I don't know. Can it give you peace of mind? Possibly.
    But then Bill had Gibson around to fix his Loar, even when it was smashed to pieces. If I had that kind of service, I wouldn't worry about it either. I will say that despite the fact that I've always at least tried to humidify, the top on my Old Wave oval sank and the luthier who fixed it said it was most likely due to (lack of) humidity. That's enough of a lesson for me.

[QUOTE=John Flynn;1367455]
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Mando View Post
    I will say that despite the fact that I've always at least tried to humidify, the top on my Old Wave oval sank and the luthier who fixed it said it was most likely due to (lack of) humidity. That's enough of a lesson for me.
    Old Wave instruments are built in northern NM (Caballo) which sits about 2000 feet lower than my hometown. But it's pretty high and dry and I would expect the humidity there is much less than Richmond. Hard for me to believe conditions at your place were ever any drier than where it was built. If your luthier is correct I would expect sinking tops on many old waves then.

My Grandpa's violin, built in Germany in the 1880's, spent most of its life in and around Raton NM, with forays into Colorado and Idaho. It has never to my knowledge been intentionally humidified. Crack and sink-free so far. It does sound warmer and better now that it spends most of its time hanging free in 50% humidity, though.

Humidification is a slow process, like heating and cooling. It takes a few days to bring a room and its contents up to a stable value. Now I check on the hygrometer every morning and evening, and periodically throughout the day (if I'm home). If it's getting above 55% I shut off the humidifier; if less than 45% I turn it on low. This is just a normal bedroom with one outside wall with double paned windows and a door to the hallway. The humidity stays pretty constant, again because the entire room and its contents act as a "sink" to offset rapid changes.

As always, its not so much the absolute value of the temperature or humidity that can cause damage but rather a sudden change in either (or both). I just didn't expect to hear and have friends corroborate an improved volume and tone.

I think another point that this discussion brings out is that some people "like" to maintain their instrument as part of their hobby. Nothing wrong with that. Others, just grab theirs and play--again, no problem. Some people have a cleaning ritual. Some restring on a regularly scheduled basis. Others are fine with old strings for years. Of course, we have talked about picks and what they will do for your sound. Tonegards, armrests, straps, etc. All are part of the hobby. I would suggest maintaining humidity is just another part of that, for a certain personality. For others, not so much. No right or wrong, just different approaches.

5. The following members say thank you to Jeff Mando for this post:

sgrexa 

I find that my older instruments are much less sensitive to changes in humidity. Perhaps the wood becomes less absorbent over time?