Thread: Difficult tailpieces

Default Difficult tailpieces

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I thought I'd share my preferences for tailpieces as in "ease of string-changing". This does not reflect on the builders or the quality of their instruments. I'll start with the easy ones:
    All ball-end ones,
    James, Lyon & Healy - both can clamp the strings and frees up both hands for winding and tying etc.
    The stamped Gibsonesque tailpieces, cloud tailpieces - the tines tend to hold the loops, specialy if one places the side of one's foot against the tailpiece...
    Allen, Ashton Bailey et al. - the loops tend to slip when the string has the "winding slack" still in it
    Eastman tailpieces - difficult not to scratch the top under the tailpiece and sometimes the end of the instrument.
    Weber are similar to Eastman and vice versa...
    My absolute most problematic is a cast, but shaped as if it is a stamped tailpiece cover with hooks under the leading edge in pairs... A nightmare to even get the loops on the hooks, which then fall off if the string is slack. I had to use a capo to clamp the strings and fit them from the center out so I could see the hooks....
    Actually using a capo to clamp the strings is handy with any restringing...

Default Re: Difficult tailpieces

I had a similar issue once. Wound up sending that instrument off to the Home for Wayward Mandolins.
    -Jim

Slide the paper envelope the strings come in under the tailpiece to protect the top from being scratched during string changes. I also have some small rare earth magnets that I use on tailpieces that are made of ferrous metals to hold the strings in place when restringing.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MikeEdgerton For This Useful Post:

I have one of the semi-difficult tailpieces on my Lebeda, a heavy casting where the strings have to be fed through holes in the front. I think it might be a custom casting Jiri had made; I haven't seen another like it except on other Lebedas, but maybe they're more common. Looks a bit like an Allen AR-2.

I say "semi-difficult" because it does need an extra snip with the wirecutters to remove strings, but I can still string up my mandolin fairly quickly, and I change strings about once a month. I don't use a capo when restringing, because I can do it just as fast holding some finger pressure on the string at the nut, while looping around the post. I also use Mike E's method of placing one of the paper envelopes behind the bridge to prevent scratching. This tailpiece hasn't bothered me enough to swap it out for something different, and it looks nice on the mandolin.

Now if you want a nightmare of a string changing job, try restringing an old guitar with a slot headstock and ultra-narrow slots, like one of my old 1930's Dobros. That thing is a nightmare.

I have played mandolin for fifty years, owned many mandolins and thought there had to be a better way to string them. About three years ago I started fooling with a fiddle,now a mandolin is a breeze to string.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mandoplumb For This Useful Post:

Thank you Bill James.
    Steve
    Steve Sorensen
    Sorensen Mandolin & Guitar Co.
    www.sorensenstrings.com

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve Sorensen For This Useful Post:

I just put a small kink in the loop end so it points and holds down to the tail piece base, I then just use the lock/twist at the tuner end so as not to get loads of string wraps.
    I never fail at anything, I just succeed at doing things that never work....

Fylde Touchstone Walnut Mandolin.
    Gibson Alrite Model D.

Just stick a small piece of Blue-Tak onto the string pin,that's what i do on my Lebeda & Weber. It's never come off, & both hands are free to do 'whatever'. I even have to use Blue-Tak on the A & E strings of my Ellis, as the James tailpiece doesn't clamp them as it does the G & D strings - it's no problem & it always works. Using the string packet to protect the top is a very good idea as well.
    The Lebeda tailpiece is very much modeled on the Monteleone t/piece,it even had the Monte.screw hole spacings,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenS View Post
    Thank you Bill James.
    Steve

Amen!!!

Blog Entries

I use the paper packet under the tailpiece trick like Mike for my Eastman/Weber style tailpiece. I cheap with banjo capo to hold the strings while I get the post squared away to the loop doesn't come off. Don't judge. I don't change strings that often.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I use all 12 tines on the stamped tailpiece and find that this makes life easier.

f-d
    ˇpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

The tailpiece on my National RM-1 is particularly annoying. I was always tought that designers design for designers and this one has been designed to look the part with little thought about how easy it is to change strings.

A tip from John Hamlett on his tailpieces that can be used on many others: Wedge a tooth pick in behind the string loop. One can modify this idea by plugging in the holes where the strings go thru on Allen and Monte tailpieces when slack has been taken up....and also crimp the loop some, which helps, too.

Once i started using the tooth pick, i found the Hamlett tailpiece to be the most elegant "string organizer" out there. It's also lighter than the other cast tailpieces.

It seems strange to me that you have to place a piece of paper under the tailpiece (which I used to do with my Weber tailpiece) and then have to fumble with the string to hold in place while getting it into the tuner post. Or using a toothpick, blu-tac, a capo or some other weird tool. I fixed all that with my James tailpiece, a thing of wonder.

OP wrote above:
    [[ Eastman tailpieces - difficult not to scratch the top under the tailpiece and sometimes the end of the instrument.
    Weber are similar to Eastman and vice versa... ]]

This problem is quickly and easily solved by slipping an envelope or piece of cereal box cardboard under the strings between the bridge and tailpiece.

Once done, I found the Weber tailpiece to hold the string securely while I worked it up at the peghead end.

Having that piece of cardboard might not work in an on-stage situation...

19. The following members say thank you to J.Albert for this post:

G7MOF 

I think there's no such thing as a "difficult tailpiece". However, there are some mighty difficult methods of putting strings on that people will resort to.

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

NF tailpiece above.

just recently i've come in contact with the best solid TP i've had hands on-its on a NorthField. Not sure who makes it, but i have an email generated to Peter Bagale at NF asking. This tailpiece allows easy running of the strings thru and to the tuner post, the little TP posts are angled and very smooth and have a small area behind the post removed so the loop end goes down smooth and locks in-i still use blue tape across as i change each string-but i don't need the capo with this one. it looks very nice as well.

webers: i pull the string thru, while holding at the first fret i put a capo around the third fret-that gives me loose enough string to work at the tuner and keeps the loop end on the weber tailpiece post.

collings cast tp: same as above.

d

I love the look of my National RM-! esp the antique brass look but I do recall it is a royal pain to string it -- you need a few extra hands and also have to thread it under the bridge cover -- unless I take the cover off and risk losing the super-allen screws.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I've done one string change on my new Collilngs so far and had to wonder why they couldn't put some teeth for the string loops to grab onto? Changing on the Eastman is a breeze. My son's Paris Swing is a flat out nightmare. But I always use a capo no matter what. I always figured everyone did. Mike's suggestion on the sleeve to keep from scratching the top is genius. Talk about a Doh! moment for me. Why didn't I think of that?

"My absolute most problematic is a cast, but shaped as if it is a stamped tailpiece cover with hooks under the leading edge in pairs..."

One of my mandolins has what was described to me as a Dr. Gary Price prototype tailpiece. It is shaped like the old style traditional piece but built out of heavy welded steel stock, and feels like a cast tailpiece. It has the hooks under the leading edge in pairs, and yes it is difficult to change strings. The only way I have found to do it is with a very tight capo holding it in place. If there is any slack at all the loop drops off the hook easily, very frustrating. It had one of his tiny finger-rests with the little hook on the bottom end too.
    ===================================
    ... I'm a California Man!