Thread: Thanks to robster

Smile Thanks to robster

I want to say a special thanks to robster (Rob Meldrum) for making his excellent PDF on set-up available to us all.

Last year I bought a bottom-of-the-line that I fine-tuned using his directions plus a few of my own inventions, but decided to sell today. Well, 2 couples tumbled out of the van.

The “buyer” picked it up and said “it’s not as loud as yours” to the “expert”. But he was happy enough, so I asked the expert what he played and he said “Loar”. Well obviously pressed spruce can’t compete with a carved solid top when it comes to sound.

Then the “buyer” suggested the “expert” try it out for fun. Some 20 seconds of first-rate playing then a very long face: “this has better fingering than mine”.

It can be done folks. That last quarter mile in the set-up dept. Wins the race every time.

2. The following members say thank you to buchrob for this post:

Blog Entries

Default Re: Thanks to robster

What a wonderful story! And I agree, the best instrument in the world can be horrible if the set-up is poor. So, when you buying your next $60 mando to set up?

=============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    =============================
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

I would also like to thank robster (Rob Meldrum) for his book How to set up a mandolin

Smile Re: Thanks to robster

Another big Thank you to Robert Meldrum here.
    I very recently purchased an Epiphone MM30 as a first mandolin. By the looks, I think the local store did little more than unpack it from the box, tune it and hang it on the wall. The action is not too bad, but intonation has lots of room for improvement. Probably going to wait until I change the strings, for a more thorough setup.
    Last edited by donaldrstewart; Jan-27-2015 at 2:21pm.

buchrob, great story! I get a big smile when I hear from folks who have improved the playability of their instruments. As you noted, an inexpensive instrument with a good setup will play more easily than an expensive instrument with a poor setup (or not set up, just pulled from the factory's box).

The ebook is still free, just email me at rob.meldrum@gmail.com, put Mandolin Setup in the subject line, and ask nicely! Post a thank-you in a thread on this site and it will bubble the thread up so new visitors can find the thread more easily! Rob

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Meldrum For This Useful Post:

Mr. Meldrum:

I keep sending people from reddit to get the setup ebook, it's really helped a lot of people. Thanks again for writing/photographing/formatting/editing it.
    Kentucky km900
    Yamaha piano, clarinet, violin; generic cello;
    a pedal steel (highly recommended); banjo, dobro don't get played much cause i'm considerate ;}

Shopping/monitoring prices: vibraphone/marimbas, rhodes, synths, Yamaha brass and double reeds

Gtani7, thanks for the compliment. Keep sending folks to me and I'll keep sending the ebook. :-)

Rob

So, I email Rob too and within 6 hours he replies.

It doesn't get much better.

Thank you

You are right about that last bit being important. I kept at it until my MK played as good as my Silverangel. As I was very conservative, it took a lot of hours and a passel of e strings, but I'm pretty happy now. About the only thing now is that I thinned out the Florida, but as I've seen on other scooped Floridas, many pull two more frets so the scoop is longer, and I think I will do that because I think my mandolin's sweet spot is right about where my scoop starts now.

Everyone needs Rob's book so they can properly evaluate their mandolin, even if they don't want to do their own work.
    Silverangel A
    Arches F style kit
    1913 Gibson A-1