Thread: GC Potential Issue

Default GC Potential Issue

I recently bought a KM-380S from the Guitar Center website, used, and it has a couple of what may be minor issues that I thought I'd put up here and see what others have to say about it.

GC has a five-level grading system from "excellent" (grade 1) down to "poor" (grade 5.) This instrument was listed as "great" (grade 2.) The price was pretty decent. Unfortunately, GC is notorious for poor or missing photographs. Most items have a single, often blurry, photograph to accompany them, and descriptions of used items is minimal. It's the sort of thing I wouldn't dare do as a seller on eBay -- I always include plenty of photos and err on the exhaustive side when describing an instrument. Not so GC, apparently.

The instrument has several nicks in the top, as shown below. They only show up under certain light angles, so maybe they missed them, but it was not clearly noted in the description.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando-km380a.jpg 
Views:	147 
Size:	143.0 KB 
ID:	129425

The other issue, which I've never seen before, are these strange dark markings on the fingerboard binding. They are not pencil lines though they look like it. I tried cleaning them up but they are not surface blemishes, but some sort of cracking in the binding itself. They are only on the side shown, not on the other side. Has anyone else ever seen this sort of blemish?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mando-km380b.jpg 
Views:	184 
Size:	128.6 KB 
ID:	129426

In addition, the "Kentucky" inscribed tailpiece was nicked and sufficiently scratched up to notice. I posted a query about getting a replacement in the Equipment sub-forum, in the event I decide to keep the instrument, but I am contemplating returning it. I have already sent GC a short email note explaining my concerns, stating that I think they were being over-generous to themselves by giving the mando a grade that I think was at least one level higher than justified. I mooted the possibility of a partial refund or else a return (which they allow, but is a pain in the butt.)

I've had used instruments before -- in fact, my instruments are almost exclusively bought used because it's the best way to get a deal -- and I've never seen a nearly-new instrument with these issues (I've had very, very old instruments that were basket cases, but this one is not in that category.)

The question is, am I being overly picky and obsessive about these issues, or do you think I'm in the right? I can overlook one or two little nicks on a used instrument, but these marks are pretty blatant.

Default Re: GC Potential Issue

Those binding marks are pretty common. I believe you are seeing checks in the finish over the binding.
    I'd say this instrument is in pretty good shape for the shape it's in. :-)
    That's to say, not great shape for a new instrument, but fine for one that's been around the block for 10-15 years. If it was for a good price and it sounds and plays well, I'd be happy with it.

10-15 years?!

I think it is a question you have to ask yourself, as far as what you are comfortable with. It sounds like you don't like it and want to send it back.

With a new purchase, we know what to expect. With vintage, again, well, it's vintage! But with recent/used items I ask myself what does a new one cost and what percentage of new am I getting for the price I'm paying. If it is close to mint and I am paying 50-75 percent, I feel that is a good deal. However, if it is beat, then there is the issue of resale to consider. While some people like a beater, others won't touch one, making it harder to sell, even for an attractive price. I personally will buy a beatup instrument if it is dirt cheap. I just bought a used Yamaha FG-460SA guitar that is beatup, but plays and sounds great for $100. Nicer ones sell on eBay for $325-450, so I feel I have the sound of a $450 guitar for $100, which I'm happy with. But, if I want to sell it, there won't be as many people who are looking for a beat one as a nice one, but I'm not planning on selling it. But that's just me.

Yep, exactly my thoughts. I'm getting pretty experienced with used because that's all I can afford. But I do think they are usually good deals, and I've rarely gotten burnt (burned?) There's that moment of anticipation when the FedEx man shows up at the door then you get the box inside and open it up, it's that first view either makes it or breaks it and you know if it's a keeper or not. Most of the time I either give it a "thumbs up" or a "qualified thumbs up." This one got a qualified thumbs up. But it does play nicely and the sound is good.

I'm just a little miffed that GC's standards for selling their own used stuff on the web is lower than your average eBay seller. I would never list an item and provide only a single blurry photo and generic one-line description. If I had expected the dents and scratches (and worn-out strings) in advance, I wouldn't be surprised now.

Anyhoo, I've got 30 days to decide. Not gonna lose sleep over it. (It was $235 with shipping, BTW, FWIW.) It's embarrassing to say it, but my KM-150 for $99 was in better shape (like new, really) than this 380. I am tempted to return it and save up for a new KM-500 or 550 in a couple of months, after unloading one or two more low-end instruments that are hanging around unplayed.

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

If an instrument on Guitar Center's website interests you, whether due to price or the number of stars in its rating, I would recommend that you call the listing store directly and work with a Guitar Center sales representative. They'll generally give you a frank in-hand appraisal and will usually either e-mail or text you images if you ask. You could specify that you're interested in any areas of wear, damage, or repair to ensure that there are no qualified thumbs up experiences on future purchases.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

7. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

sgrexa 

So, how much was it?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by timbofood View Post
    so, how much was it?
    Quote Originally Posted by petrus View Post
    anyhoo, i've got 30 days to decide. Not gonna lose sleep over it. (it was $235 with shipping, btw, fwiw.)
    fwiw...!
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

If it deeply offends your sensibilities, send it back. If you like the sound and can live with the blemishes, keep it.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

The binding issue could be what Marty says. However, I've seen these lines before on a Saga kit. I radiused the rosewood fretboard with the binding on, then carefully dyed the board with black leather dye. These lines appeared overnight. Very disappointing. I took the binding off and discovered that it was cracked in many places on the glued side. The dye had run down into those cracks and showed through the plastic. Don't know why, but the plastic binding was in this condition at the factory. I guess it could show up on a Kentucky.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Timbofood View Post
    If it deeply offends your sensibilities, send it back. If you like the sound and can live with the blemishes, keep it.
    Thus the dilemma of the paradoxical conundrum in which I find myself.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pheffernan View Post
    If an instrument on Guitar Center's website interests you, whether due to price or the number of stars in its rating, I would recommend that you call the listing store directly and work with a Guitar Center sales representative. They'll generally give you a frank in-hand appraisal and will usually either e-mail or text you images if you ask. You could specify that you're interested in any areas of wear, damage, or repair to ensure that there are no qualified thumbs up experiences on future purchases.
    I bought a higher end mandolin, used, from a Guitar Center in another state, some 600 miles away, sight unseen. I called them up had a great conversation with their guy, who was a mandolin guy as it turns out, and he described it in complete detail. We negotiated some. Long story short, I bought it, they sent it and it was everything they said it was and a little more.

I forget how much time I had to return it, but it was very reasonable, and as soon as I started playing it I knew I will never, ever, part with this mandolin.

Its a much nicer mandolin than one would expect to find at a Guitar Center. But there you go. I have nothing but praise and good expectations for GC.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

I also have found some great deals at GC, sometimes their corporate-ness works in your favor for certain items, such as vintage and nearly vintage items such as Japan made Fenders and such. Supposedly, they have vintage experts located in California that they are supposed to call when something older comes in, but in reality, if they make a seller a cheap offer and they take it, a lot of time it just goes out for sale locally.
    Last edited by Jeff Mando; Jan-25-2015 at 2:13am.

I'm also a support of GC most of the time. I've gotten some very good deals from them ... my last three mandolins I got from their online site (a KM150 and two Fender electrics) were perfect and fantastic deals. This one was still a good deal and I will likely resell it and break even or even pull a small profit if I'm lucky ($30-40 or so.)

I've got my eye on a KM-500, new, at a very good price from a different retailer. I may have to sacrifice one or two other items though (my De Rosa violin bass in the corner is looking a little nervous right now.)

Can you return it to your nearest GC store, or do you have to mail it back? With new instruments and stuff, I've ordered online, and returned to the local store if I had to.

I should report back that I did have a satisfactory experience with their customer service. They put me in touch with the local shop guy who did reiterate the point that they will send additional photos and/or on-phone descriptions of the instrument if you are interested. You do have to pay return shipping if you mail anything back, but if there is a local GC in your area you can return it to them in its original packaging and you will not be charged return shipping.

I decided not to return it (I never liked the mojo of returning stuff, having been on both ends of that at one time or another) so instead will eBay it. Needless to say I'm including plenty of detailed photos of the instrument so make sure prospective buyers can see the minor damage and make their own decision about it. I should break even, and I'll have another good rating on my seller account, so it's better than returning it.

A friend of mine recently bought a nice Eastman 305 at a GC. She saw the 305, picked it up and played it and decided to ask about the price as it was unmarked. Apparently no one at the GC knew what it was selling for, and after 20-30 minutes of confusion, the salesperson told my friend that the price was $129.00. Needless to say she whipped out her credit card. I'd say she got herself a really good deal, but it leaves a question in my mind as to the mandolin knowledge of the salespeople at GC.

I have gotten some incredibly good deals at my local GC. I hadn't bought any significant musical instruments in person in so long that I was pleasantly surprised to find a rather beat, but lovely 1936 Martin 0-17 hanging around with the new Gibsons and Taylors on a stand. They had a 1934 0-17 locked in a glass display case that was in no better shape really and priced at $3,500. I got the '36 for less than half that and they through in an almost new Silver Creek shaped HS case. A friend of mine has worked there for years and told me what they pay for used pieces, and needless to say, you would be amazed at what a lot of people will accept for quality pieces. He sends me emails periodically when something interesting comes through the door, with detailed photos, etc. They are willing to negotiate too, which is nice but as far as mandolins go, they are generally clueless and don't really deal with them much at all.

Sean

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CelticDude View Post
    Can you return it to your nearest GC store, or do you have to mail it back? With new instruments and stuff, I've ordered online, and returned to the local store if I had to.
    I was told you can return it to your local GC, regardless where you bought it.

One downside - if you buy from a remote GC, via phone or on line, you have to pay local sales tax because there is a GC in your community.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    ... but as far as mandolins go, they are generally clueless and don't really deal with them much at all.
    That is likely more true than not, but the fellow I dealt with was a real mando guy, and could answer my questions very specifically. I was impressed. And he was willing to negotiate. Hard not to like.

The entire staff
    funny....

I decided to not return it as I noted, but I put it up on eBay and if it sells I'll be happy, if not I'll hang onto it a while longer till I outgrow it. Funny thing, in the process of taking some nice photos for the listing and writing the copy for the description I sort of sold myself on its upside features and I feel a lot better about owning it now. I often note that when I put something up for sale my attitude about it changes as I sell myself on my own pitch. Seems to be a common phenomenon.