Thread: Best placement spot for an external piezo pickup on A-type?

Default Best placement spot for an external piezo pickup on A-type?

OK... I have been playing mandolin a month or so now and am actually working from a bare bones budget, [which is why I have begun with a Rogue A-100] and have acquired a super cheap disc-style piezo pickup (advertised for guitar, mandolin, violin, uke) "at a comparable price"- (I do intend to eventually upgrade all this- this is just for starters)
    I want to know where is the best placement spot for this - on the outside, under (or take off?) the pickguard, inside one of the f holes, que esta? I'm moving it around a lot with some masking tape until I come to some sort of decision where it ought to get mounted permanently but could use some first hand advice for those who might have been familiar with this before. On guitar it is easy enough to just put one inside the soundhole (because the hole's large enough to get inside) but mandolin has the 2 f holes, so... what exactly works best? (I'm eager to hear how this reacts with effects). It's going to go through a preamp first as well.

Default Re: Best placement spot for an external piezo pickup on A-type?

typically you would use 2 one inside each f hole near the end of the bridge.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Behind the bridge about yay far and under the E and A strings.

4. The following members say thank you to Eric C. for this post:

mvlh 

OK External = you can move it around .. and try what place it sounds best to Your ears

given its slightly different in various parts of the soundboard.. .
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I have set it "just yay behind the bridge" as suggested. One problem however, and this wasn't the case when I had it placed inside the f hole, is that there, it transmits a great deal of "pick attack" noise along with the string tone. (in the other position it transmitted a lot of "tape buzz" from the masking tape, and besides, it couldn't easily be mounted flush inside the top of the sound board). It might be something to take off the pickguard also since a fair amount of "clicking" gets into the signal too. But I can't have everything, esp. at the price I paid for it! The stickum on the thing is SERIOUS and moving it at all again involves some serous prying; and fingers-under-strings manipulation.
    The problem with the "two pickup, one in each f hole" solution is that it really isn't, for this sort of pickup. It's got its own jack and so two would require a split signal output cord (possible) or wiring two pickups to each other Without crossover or separate volume and tone controls that's not really feasible, and besides this is just a stick-on pickup, not a Heathkit project! But for now it'll do. eventually I plan on getting an acoustic-electric mando for "a few dollars more" than the Rogue but what will be a more serious acquisition. For now, this is actually fine. And some of the effect are just wicked!

If you are just going to stick it on top get some putty that teachers use to stick paper onto things. It will hold the pickup and easily remove so you can find the best spot. Double sided tape like a thin transparent type will also work and is much recommended over masking tape. Oh and you can just put both transducers to the same jack they are working as one and no need for a "heathkit" project, that's how it is done. In guitars you put three to the same jack if you are installing the K&K.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

8. The following members say thank you to pops1 for this post:

mvlh 

Quote Originally Posted by pops1 View Post
    If you are just going to stick it on top get some putty that teachers use to stick paper onto things. It will hold the pickup and easily remove so you can find the best spot.
    I use blu-tak putty for my under the soundboard "permanent" mounted pickups. It's held for over 5 years on some of my instruments; others just haven't been on that long.

Well I did try it between the A and E and you know what? I like it much better between D and A. MUCH less pick clatter and it sounds like there's "more breath" to it. I think that's gonna be the keeper. More centered laterally and also straight on the center of the bowl. A big improvement.

11. The following members say thank you to mvlh for this post:

Here's my JJB Twin installation on the outside of a Kentucky KM-340S using Blue Tak putty which I like using much better than two sided tape.

Attachment 129842

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

lenf12 - can you re-post your photo? I can't see it.
    Sheryl --- Me

K&K has the following guide for locating external pickups
    http://kksound.com/support/pickups101/sweetspot.php

15. The following members say thank you to Elb2000 for this post:

mvlh