Thread: Why do sellers make things so difficult?

Default Why do sellers make things so difficult?

Here's another mis-spelled title: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281565260869...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A nice one-owner Strad-O-Lin but he badly mis-spelled the title making it hard for someone looking for one. I admit, I have been the lucky beneficiary of several items with bad titles or listed in the wrong catagory. Good luck and best wishes to the seller above.
    Jammin' south of the river
    '20 Gibson A-2
    Stromberg-Voisinet Tenor Guitar
    Penny Whistle
    My albums: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/album.php?u=7616

Blog Entries

Default Re: Why do sellers make things so difficult?

I noticed one for sale local while browsing all listings on CL a month or so back. When I went back to check on it was not listed in my search.

After he sold it I found it by browsing all listings again. 'Straud a lin'

After reading :
    ...a nice sounding mando which will stand up favorably against many new $500 mandos.
    I'm ok with the misspelling.

Blog Entries

Buyers can be worse to deal with! If ya buy,sell and trade a lot you'll learn this. Time WASTERS most can be!

I've found a few good "manolins" with this thing:

What is TypoHound? Many eBay auctions contain typos in the listing title. For example, 'toshiba' may be spelt 'toshia'. This means that when someone searches for 'toshiba', the misspelled auction is not shown. Thus no bids are placed on it. TypoHound generates common misspellings of the keyword you enter. Few people can find these auctions to bid on, so you can bag incredible bargains!
    http://www.typohound.com

(Actually just typing "manolin" occasionally turns up a find.)

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Petrus For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

How many people post about the "awesome Collins mando" they saw or bought here on the cafe, more than you think.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

7. The following members say thank you to JEStanek for this post:

OldGus 

Recently I've been looking at a Webber mandolin....it even comes with a Carleton case!

Or maybe I'll just buy a Silverangle...

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    I've found a few good "manolins" with this thing:

http://www.typohound.com

(Actually just typing "manolin" occasionally turns up a find.)
    Me too. Sometimes I just search Gibson -Les -Paul -Melody -Flying -knobs (filter out guitar text strings) and hopefully somebody forgot to include the word mandolin

hey, I have trolled classifieds in buy and sell magazines or kijiji or craigslist for decades now. the best deals are often from misspelled things. the seller doesn't really know what they have. I got a misspelled "linber lute" made by Robert lundberg, who literally wrote the book on renaisaince lute making. the seller didn't know anything about lundberg. he made his student lutes to the same standard as his presentation models but with no ornamentation, and I got a great bouzouki, by stathoupoulo--a real antique, that was mislabelled as a mandolin. they said long neck. I jumped at the price of 90 bucks. stathoupoulos are worth thousands --depending on condition. and a few other finds. from people who didn't know the instruments. so hooray for missssspellings!

This is too bad. Someone comes up with a easy way to hunt miss listed items. So the lazy people get to horn in on one of the ways that people who wanted to do the work and get the possible rewards for the work! It's like bicycles that are so well made that fat out of shape people can climb steep mountains! I have come up with some of the best deals by doing the research and it can take time and effort do it. The best deals come,I have found from amateur sellers that often have no idea what they have and haven't bothered to do the research on the thing that they have to sell, do a bad ugly listing with not very good pictures, don't have much feedback, misspell the items or put them in the wrong spot or my favorite is a listing that ends at 3 am on a Monday night or some other odd time when most people are asleep on both coasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstring View Post
    Recently I've been looking at a Webber mandolin....it even comes with a Carleton case!

Or maybe I'll just buy a Silverangle...
    Actually there are Webber mandolins out there... I have seen a few and if this person is 86 I'd say that alone is a good accomplishment, at least you are not seeing it in an estate sale...

Quote Originally Posted by Capt. E View Post
    Here's another mis-spelled title: http://www.ebay.com/itm/281565260869...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

A nice one-owner Strad-O-Lin but he badly mis-spelled the title making it hard for someone looking for one. I admit, I have been the lucky beneficiary of several items with bad titles or listed in the wrong catagory. Good luck and best wishes to the seller above.
    This one is relisted with the spelling corrected: Strad-O-Lin
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Some people just can't spell. Friend of mine, who does a lot of ebay, used to search ads to find words, sentences or phrases that he wanted, would then cut and past to his own ad. He had absolutely no confidence in his composing/spelling.