Thread: Kay Mando

Default Kay Mando

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161561196412?rmvSB=true

I've never seen one or played one. What are they like?
    Cheers,
    Dale

Default Re: Kay Mando

That's a real good looking one. Most are not that snazzy! I'm in a minority on this forum--I like 'em and think they are a great deal if they are playable. That one looks like it is in good condition. They don't seem to bring much money. $300 seems fair for a 50+ year old instrument. A lot of people think they are overbuilt and dull sounding, but I've had good luck with them. I'd rather have something like this for the money, than what $300 would buy in a current import. Cool mandolin, IMHO.

I had one for a while. Very tubby low-end due to the thickness of the body (about 3 inches!) which may or may not suit an individual's taste. Properly set up, an okay instrument for the price ($200-300.)

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Yeah, as the others say, if they're in good shape, they're fine. I have one, and it's, umm, fine. If it stays at that price, you're ok. They are cool to look at, and they make good kids' or beginner instruments, as they're pretty easy to fret compared to some of the cheap stuff out there, but you won;t consider it a main instrument for ver long. Tuners can get a little slippy on them, making it tough to hold tune.

Seller says "slight gap at [neck] heel." Careful.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

I found one in a Pawn shop in Chicago and picked it up for about 100.00 dollars almost twenty years ago. Got it home and thought it didn't look quite right and found out I had a Mandola ... 15 1/2 inch scale. The bridge wasn't set up for the C tuning and when I finally got it sorted out, it became a nice alternative to my other 'dola's. I still have it and it is in a Travelrite case with a custom bridge on it ... the case and the bridge cost as much as the instrument. At this time, the neck joint still looks tight and the frets, while bar type, are still level. It doesn't have a huge sound, but it is nice to play and a real conversation piece.

This type of instrument is around ... condition is everything. If you need major repairs, it's hard to justify the cost on a such a modest model.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

I owned one, played it a lot, also performed with it many times. I spent some money to get it fixed up :: new frets, reset the neck-to-body joint, radiused the fingerboard, carved a padauk pick guard. Finally sold it. It wasn't the loudest mandolin, but the tone was clean and rich.

Lately, I've been starting to look around for a new one, mostly because I need something inexpensive to take traveling.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Seller says "slight gap at [neck] heel." Careful.
    Kay did an awful job with their dovetails over the years. Loose necks are really common. I agree with Allen, be cautious. Don't me mesmerized by the shape and age. They made this same model for years. Some might be decent, most that I've seen haven't been and I've seen quite a few.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

9. The following members say thank you to MikeEdgerton for this post:

When I was a kid...in the 50's, as a wanna be guitar player, I would have never been seen with a Kay. Not "cool". Now all these years later as a wanna be mandolin player, I find myself looking at old Kay mandolins on ebay a lot. Don't own one but I have been tempted several times. Seems there are still a ton of them out there. I think it would be "cool" now.