Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bill Monroe's Lloyd Loar Mandolin #73987 Returned Post-Repair

Default Bill Monroe's Lloyd Loar Mandolin #73987 Returned Post-Repair

Chris Henry posted this on the Monroe Appreciation Society FB page. Its the audio track from when Bill got his mandolin back for the first time after its event . What a treasure !

Thanks Chris !

https://www.dropbox.com/s/c8fc0orzvy...ry%20again.mp3

Happy New Year !
    Last edited by Scott Tichenor; Jan-02-2015 at 8:58am. Reason: title edited to improve searchability

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to palosfv3 For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

Default Re: Bill Monroe's Lloyd Loar Mandolin #73987 Returned Post-Repair

This is one of those bits of historical information I've decided needs to be safely archived on this site. I just listened to this after downloading the MP3 a few days ago and it's fascinating. Other reason I'm storing it here is so it can be found in the future as I'm adding a more appropriate title, some keywords and a few pointers. I worry that things like this posted on Facebook or someone's DropBox account are less than desirable, will either be lost or eventually disappear, unlike long-term plans for this site which are set to last beyond my ownership and time on the planet.

Not sure who all of the voices are here but Charlie Derrington and Bill Monroe are obvious in discussing Lloyd Loar F-5 #73987 that was smashed with a fireplace poker on November 13, 1985. The instrument was returned to Monroe on February 25, 1986 so the recording is from around that date but there's no evidence I hear that puts it on that exact day. Making a guess this is James Monroe doing much of the casual discussion with Charlie but maybe others can substantiate that.

MP3 archived here. You'll need Adobe's Flash player to stream it above.

4. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Blog Entries

This post above will pair nicely with the following MP3 clip which in itself is a little more entertaining but no less historically significant:

The story of Monroe's gouged headstock, in his words

Thanks to Bruce Harvie and the Mandolin Archive for the following audio segment of Bill Monroe talking about acquiring his famous mandolin and subsequent relationship with Gibson over the years when the headplate was replaced.

[mp3=2]http://www.mandolincafe.net/mp3/73987_monroe_mandolin_story.mp3[/mp3]

The clip above appeared previously on the Cafe in our 10 Questions for Laura Weber Cash interview from August 3, 2010. She and husband John Carter Cash are the owners of Monroe's gouged headplate.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

The main voice in the first post... that voice is familiar to me... not Charlie, but the one who seems to be holding and playing the mandolin.. Is that Marty Stuart? I feel I know that person. Oh, I see where you are wondering if that's James..doesn't sound like it to me, but, who knows?

Priceless! Thank you Scott! I bet Marty would like to add that one to his collection.

Sean

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    Priceless! Thank you Scott! I bet Marty would like to add that one to his collection.

Sean
    Later in the recording, it does not sound so much like Marty... but, I feel I know that person. Tom!! who is this do you think?

I thought I heard George Gruhn in there... saying a couple of lines around the 23 minute mark... great stuff this! Many thanks for the post.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Tichenor View Post

Thanks to Bruce Harvie and the Mandolin Archive for the following audio segment of Bill Monroe talking about acquiring his famous mandolin and subsequent relationship with Gibson over the years when the headplate was replaced.

[mp3=2]http://www.mandolincafe.net/mp3/73987_monroe_mandolin_story.mp3[/mp3]
    For the record, this was recorded at the Soft Rock Cafe in Vancouver, BC, Canada
    November the 3rd, 1980...
    I'm pretty sure Bill then plays the definitive version of "Evening Prayer Blues"...

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

The clip above appeared previously on the Cafe in our 10 Questions for Laura Weber Cash interview from August 3, 2010. She and husband John Carter Cash are the owners of Monroe's gouged headplate.
    These are some photos of the item, saved when it was the subject of much discussion when it was coming up for auction at Cnristie's several years ago - 12/3/2009, to be exact. There's a better version viewable via Bill Graham's article. Suitable for framing. The unframed version may show the coloration the best.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73987 HiRes.jpg 
Views:	517 
Size:	191.4 KB 
ID:	128329 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73987 HiRes Face Plate.jpg 
Views:	843 
Size:	88.9 KB 
ID:	128330 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	73987 Face Plate HiRes.jpg 
Views:	685 
Size:	150.0 KB 
ID:	128331
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to journeybear For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Waltham View Post
    The main voice in the first post... that voice is familiar to me... not Charlie, but the one who seems to be holding and playing the mandolin.. Is that Marty Stuart? I feel I know that person. Oh, I see where you are wondering if that's James..doesn't sound like it to me, but, who knows?

Could it be Ricky Skaggs?

Blog Entries

What an amazing piece of audio. I wonder how Chris Henry came to have a copy? For certain we are all in his debt for making it publicly available.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Quote Originally Posted by George R. Lane View Post
    Could it be Ricky Skaggs?
    I would bet the farm that is James Monroe talking with Mr. Derrington. (Charley's voice sounds a little 'Skaggs-like' maybe.)

(I don't actually own a farm, so I'm safe either way.)

18. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Bernie Daniel View Post
    What an amazing piece of audio. I wonder how Chris Henry came to have a copy? For certain we are all in his debt for making it publicly available.
    His post on the MMAS FB page from a couple weeks ago .

Chris Henry
    December 20, 2014 at 6:48pm · Gore, VA

OK neighbors - some interesting Monroe news - I have made an appointment with the treasurer of Bill's personal collection of reel-to-reel tape, Mr. Peter V. Kuykendall of just outside Marshall, VA. We shall endeavor to digitize a portion this coming Tuesday. The material was retrieved from the floor of Bill's barn some years ago. No one knows what all is there, but we'll take a look. It could potentially reveal some wonderful listening. We've been heading towards it for about five years, but we've got it on the books now - I'll keep y'all posted.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to palosfv3 For This Useful Post:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by palosfv3 View Post
    His post on the MMAS FB page from a couple weeks ago .

Chris Henry
    December 20, 2014 at 6:48pm · Gore, VA

OK neighbors - some interesting Monroe news - I have made an appointment with the treasurer of Bill's personal collection of reel-to-reel tape, Mr. Peter V. Kuykendall of just outside Marshall, VA. We shall endeavor to digitize a portion this coming Tuesday. The material was retrieved from the floor of Bill's barn some years ago. No one knows what all is there, but we'll take a look. It could potentially reveal some wonderful listening. We've been heading towards it for about five years, but we've got it on the books now - I'll keep y'all posted.
    Thanks for that information palosfv3!

I have not looked at his Facebook page in quite a few months -- I used to look at it from time to time to see what he was up to.

In my humble opinion Chris Henry is an incredible singer and picker and I really can't understand why he isn't more prominent in bluegrass circles and have his own name band and a bunch of CD's. He certainly has the talent I think. This was great effort in preserving BG & mandolin history -- kind of a Marty Stuart like move!
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jan-03-2015 at 12:17am.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bernie Daniel For This Useful Post:

Sounds like Sonny Osborne to me.
    Hughes F-5 #1
    Hughes A model #1
    1922 Gibson A-2
    1958 Gibson A-5

It sounds like there are different sections to the audio. I just got off the phone with John Hedgecoth who worked at Gruhn's at the time. We agreed that it must be him doing a lot of the talking at the beginning. He said that he went to Charlie's bench before Mr. Monroe got it back. They were talking about the repair and Charlie (prankster) told John stories about all the people he had super glued. For instance Charlie super glued one of the repairman's shoes to the floor when he was not paying attention. Sounds like Charlie. He said later Chet was there and at some point played a number or two with Bill. He said Bill played a tune that he wrote like Ozark Rag and Chet messed up because he didn't know the changes. Good stuff.

25. The following members say thank you to mando1man for this post:

Blog Entries

Any idea who was doing the picking on it before Mr. Bill arrived? Charlie Derrington perhaps? I'll bet Charlie was very apprehensive the first time he strung that mandolin up -- and just as worried when he first took a pick to it!

I like the comment about putting it back in its case before Bill got there. Monroe was very generous with his praise of Gibson I thought. Wonderful bit of mandolin/Gibson/WSM history captured by someone with plenty of forethought!
    Last edited by Bernie Daniel; Jan-03-2015 at 1:55pm.
    Bernie
    ____

Well, whoever it is talking with Charley Derrington in the first segment seems to be quite familiar with the way the mandolin sounded as well its condition before the vandalizm episode. I figured it was James because of that, and also because the depth of voice and some speech patterns (slightly slurred 'esses') sound similar to James'.
    Right around the 44 second mark, it sounds like he says a short phrase with the word 'Daddy' in it. Unfortunately, just about that moment, somebody starts shooting compressed air in the background.

I believe that they are no longer married. Mike Compton brought that framed headstock plate to the show at Carter Vintage during the last Monroe Mandolin Camp. He credited Laura for allowing him to bring it along if I remember correctly. I guess she got custody.

28. The following members say thank you to FLATROCK HILL for this post:

This is such an amazing to have preserved here! Scott, Chris, thank you so much for the foresight to preserve this critical historical information! Strong work!
    The framing project was done by my guitar players brother when he and I worked for different picture frame shops here in Kalamazoo, I worked for "Suzanne's" , Brent Spink workd for "Labadies".
    My guitar player "Curly" Spink, works for Heritage as a binder in the old Parsons street location, interesting how things come around sometimes, isn't it?
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Blog Entries

I was my understanding that a Gibson fella named Richard L Doan, who was working with OR for Charlie in the '80's was given the
    repair assignment. How much if any of that is correct?
    Nothing difficult is ever easy.

--------------------
    Heiden F5
    1981 Gbson F5-L
    '62 Martin D-18

[QUOTE=mando1man;1358623]It sounds like there are different sections to the audio. I just got off the phone with John Hedgecoth who worked at Gruhn's at the time. We agreed that it must be him doing a lot of the talking at the beginning. He said that he went to Charlie's bench before Mr. Monroe got it back. They were talking about the repair and Charlie (prankster) told John stories about all the people he had super glued.
    That could be who it is. The man in question understands the repair, and techniques used. Definitely not Ricky, and not George.
    I'll bet it's John.

I recognized John Hedgecoth's voice. Called him up and played a little for him to confirm.

These photos of Charlie with the mandolin on his bench have been floating around for years.

Name:	MonroeF5_6.jpg 
Views:	4920 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	128436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonroeF5_11.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	128437

Name:	MonroeF5_7.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	128438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonroeF5_9.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	128439

33. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mando1man For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by mando1man View Post
    I recognized John Hedgecoth's voice. Called him up and played a little for him to confirm.

These photos of Charlie with the mandolin on his bench have been floating around for years.

Name:	MonroeF5_6.jpg 
Views:	4920 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	128436Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonroeF5_11.jpg 
Views:	999 
Size:	83.1 KB 
ID:	128437

Name:	MonroeF5_7.jpg 
Views:	812 
Size:	80.1 KB 
ID:	128438Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MonroeF5_9.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	81.0 KB 
ID:	128439
    I thought it was John too but wasn't certain. I was absolutely sure it wasn't James Monroe, he sounds just like his Daddy, same cadence to his speech.

A few things I wonder are who the "he" is that gave Charlie that special varnish he liked so much and what it was and the epoxy he used that was thin. Also I wonder who it was that Bill was wanting to buy that "banjer" for, that was mighty thoughty of Bill to do that.
    Last edited by Tim W; Jan-05-2015 at 9:21pm.

Mandolin addicted...So? Pete Counter's Avatar

I believe when Chris first posted this he said that was his uncle.

This thread is solid gold.

37. The following members say thank you to Austin Koerner for this post: