Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tuner button screws

Default Tuner button screws

Looking for a couple tuner button screws for a 1970s Alvarez F5 style mandolin. Searched the web and forum and didn't find much available for just the screws. Any help is appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Don.

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

Default Re: Tuner button screws

I just replaced all the gold colored ones on my 70s Washburn Jethro Burns with stainless ones (it was missing 2 when I got it and couldn't find them anywhere). From what I have read, my Washburn and your alvarez might have come from the same factory. I could send you my old gold ones on the chance they would fit. PM me.
    By the way, I had to order my new ones from Fastenal to get the right size.
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Hey! I've got one of those too. Great mandolin. I can't imagine the reproductions from a few years ago, being anywhere near the quality of those mandolins. My JB was made in 1977-78, near as I recall. At the time, I tried doing some research on who actually made the JB. Don't remember specifics, except that it was possible that Sumi may have worked where it was built. Anyway, back to this Alvarez. I'll try to figure out how to PM.

Trying to pm you, but getting an error message about incorrect name or something. I'll try again.

Finally got it right. PM sent.

Unfortunately tuner shafts, knobs, screws, etc. vary greatly between manufacturers (tuner manufactures that is, no mandolin mfrs make their own tuners). You can find out who made the tuners to find screws that fit; or just remove one and take it to a good fastener store or machine shop and they can get replacements that match up.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

IMO your best bet is to remove one of the screws from the mandolin and take it to a hardware store or a Fastener store like Fastenal and purchase a complete set. I have not been able to find good information on screw sizes , threads or thread pitch regarding instrument hardware on the internet. Luck .... R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

I sent Don the 5 screws I had, so if they work he'll be set.
    When looking for my replacements, no hardware store had anything that small, even the 100 year old local place that has EVERY weird piece of hardware I've ever needed. I finally went to Fastenal and they ordered me some, although they are stainless instead of brass like the originals.
    I even went to a few local luthiers/instrument repair places and they didn't have any that fit either. I was amazed at how difficult they were to find. You'd think they would be more standardized.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Old music shops and luthiers often have a "possibles" box that contains many useful items. Just not always the ones you need. I found a screw to fit a Martin mandolin tuner gear at a local store once myself. It was kind of you to send Don your extras. I hope they work for him. R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Just got a PM from him. Bummer but they did not fit.

van1684 was kind enough to send screws he had, but they were too large, so I returned them. He mentioned Menard's having some small screws, so went out and checked on them. They had a couple drawers marked for "miniature screws" or something like that. Brought home a couple candidates that might work, except they're too long , and the wrong color. One has a diameter a couple thousandths smaller than the original and the other is a few thousandths larger. Don't think the larger will work. The smaller might, but will have to be cut. But, I contacted St. Louis music and spoke with a very helpful guy named Tom. He has some screws from the 1980s and is just going to send me a couple. He wasn't sure about them working or not, but it's a shot, and if they don't work, there's no loss. But, I got a hunch they'll work. I'll post when the screws arrive.

Fooey. Already lost another screw. Oh well.

Well, the screws from Tom At St Louis Music arrived. They are a little smaller in diameter than mine. So, I just got busy with my measurements and figured out what size screw was called for. My screws are .086 diameter and the shaft length is about 5/16 inch. What I came up with, on the metric side , was a M3 x 8. I checked , among other places, ebay. Ordered 25 stainless and 25 black steel.
    Looking forward to seeing them one day next week.

Don, I hope they fit. If not, call Fastenal. If anyone can get them, they can

I'm such a dumbass. An M3 is not what I need. The diameter of the M3 is .114, which is way too big. Don't know how I got onto the M3 thing. The .086 diameter converts to something like 2.2mm. Gonna try to cancel the ebay order for screws. John Wayne was reported to say "Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid." LOL,

Just checked the Fastenal website. Looks very promising.

And so it drags on. The ebay people I was going to order from contacted me in response to my request to cancel my order. They tried to find a correct screw size for me, with no luck. They asked did I want to cancel the order or try a different size screw. I asked them to cancel the order, so , guess it's cancelled. Turns out we have a Fastenal store here, so I called, then went over. The young fella had a screw gauge, but the results were kinda iffy. In any case , they don't stock screws that small. they have to order them in. I came home and googled my best guess as to screw size. Found some anodized brass #2-64 x3/8 on ebay and ordered them. Hope they fit. I'm tired of chasing after screws.

Fastenal also had to order mine, and sizing was iffy there too. They came in within a few days and they did fit so it was all good. The screws were only a few cents each, but the shipping cost me about $8

Yes, I noticed that about the shipping. The screws ordered from ebay were more in line with what I was looking for than what Fastenal had, so decided to just take the chance. I'll know in a few days. Saw the same spec screw, as far as dimensions and thread, on Amazon. They were black plastic and you get about 100 of them for about $5. That would be the way to go, if they were the correct screw. Wouldn't have to be concerned about stripping threads. Anyhow, if these brass screws are the correct ones, I've got some hard to find screws.

Well, the screws arrived. Their diameter was .080, which is about .006 smaller than the originals. The screw heads are slotted and seem just a tad smaller than the originals.The thread seems to be correct, they screwed in without a bit of problem. Looks like they are gonna work and that works for me.

Glad they work. Amazing how hard to find they can be.

Put a drop of "loctite"on them before you install them, that may help. If I had looked at this earlier I might have been able to help, my Alvarez original machines are around the house someplace would have been happy to help. Might take some time to find the box with that"stuff" in it but, let me know if the ones you have don't work out.
    BTW, I use that John Wayne quote on my regular e mail account, always liked that line!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Thanks Steve, for all the support. Thanks Tim, for the suggestion and the offer. I'm thinking these screws will prolly be ok. Hope so, I'm tired of foolin' with it.

Don.

If you don't want to use loctite fingernail polish will work just as well and still let you take the screw out.
    THE WORLD IS A BETTER PLACE JUST FOR YOUR SMILE!

Well, finally got around to ordering those black plastic screws off Amazon. They came in and they look good. Measure .080 diameter. The head of the screw is much larger than the brass, but they screw in and look great. If I had it to do over, I think I would order the black plastic screws and be done with it. A hundred screws for about $5 is hard to beat, especially if they work. These were the #2-64.
    Looks like I'm set for screws for awhile.
    Don.