Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1924 Mando Bass

Default Re: 1924 Mando Bass

It would be cool to try one, but I don;t know that I have to space to keep one.
    But if someone gave me one, I'd find room.
    Would it save you a lot of time if I just gave up and went mad now?

Quote Originally Posted by GstyleJ View Post
    You may be referring to this guy

http://www.mandobassman.com/Index.html
    No, I was referring to Gene Stephenson. Here's the thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...764-Mando-Bass
    See the discussion of the Gibson style J here:
    Yes, I've read that before. Was that supposed to clear up something? That article refers to the 1898 Gibson patent for instrument construction, and makes it clear that it's not a mandobass patent. Which is more or less what I already said: there's no patent specific to the Style J.
    Try internet searching "gibson mandobass" pdf, with some variation of plans, drawings, or diagrams between mandobass and pdf. If any style J plans are out there, this should harvest them.
    Have you tried that yourself?
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

I saw the Pittsburgh Mandolin Orchestra last summer. They had 3 bass players, two played upright but one had a mando bass. So there is one more group for your list.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

Quote Originally Posted by mrmando;1368857l

Yes, I've read that before. Was that supposed to clear up something? That article refers to the 1898 Gibson patent for instrument construction, and makes it clear that it's not a mandobass patent. Which is more or less what I already said: there's no patent specific to the Style J.
    Actually, the link reinforces what you said, which is one reason I included it. Probably the only definitive way to know would be to
    do an extensive (and time-consuming) search through http://www.uspto.gov/patents/process/search/ which I have no reason to do. I'm set as far as mandobasses.

[/QUOTE]Have you tried that yourself?[/QUOTE]

Cursory searches using all three terms, not viewing screens and screens of results. I just know that plans, etc. likely are hand-drawn and then scanned-in, and .pdf is the best limiting term to surface that type of document. Even with limiting, you still will get a lot of slop and irrelevance in a Google search. It's the nature of the beast; Google's relevancy rankings are nowhere near as precise and consistent as those used by commercially-vended databases.

I'm not saying that this search will absolutely turn up any plans, only that it is the best way to start.