Thread: West Central Minnesota jams (Willmar)

Default West Central Minnesota jams (Willmar)

I have been spending some time in Willmar lately, for work. There is a music store there -Whitney Music- that hosts jams in the cafe right next door (Java N' Jazz). In fact, the same person owns both businesses. They host a general jam in the cafe on Mondays, 6-7 pm, and then a bluegrass jam on Saturday mornings, 9-11.

I don't attend the Saturday jam because I go back home for the weekends, but the Monday jam is nice, not too large (6-7 people, mostly guitars), and they appreciate a mandolin sitting in. No financial interest on my part, BTW. I was told that the Saturday bluegrass jam gets around 15 on average.

The first time I went to the cafe for dinner, there was birthday celebration for a guy who was 96 on that day. They had his photo up on the projection screen so I looked around the room (about 50 people in attendance) to see where he was. Well, the only one who resembled him was playing jazz piano! Sure enough, the 96-year-old was leading the jazz jam session on the piano! Totally amazing. I talked to the guy afterwards, and he said to me "Well, I started playing in 1935, and I think I learned something!"
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Default Re: West Central Minnesota jams (Willmar)

Can't help you on the Western MN scene, but hello from a fellow Minnesotan!

Greetings! What quadrant are you in, NW, NE, SW, or SE? I have family in the NE quadrant (Shoreview) and sometimes stay in the SE when I have a couple of days of training or meetings at company headquarters (U Ave in St. Paul).

For West Central, I wasn't complaining, just noting the one place where I know they have jam sessions, in Willmar. I wish there was something going on in Marshall, but haven't found anything yet.
    "Those who know don't have the words to tell, and the ones with the words don't know so well." - Bruce Cockburn

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

I'm in St Paul near Macalester/St. Thomas.

Occasionally we get a jam going in our building on West 7th in St. Paul. PM me and we can exchange emails and you can let me know when you're in town!

Blog Entries

The Homestead Pickin' Pallor in Richfield has great jam sessions all the time, different jams on different days or evenings. A great store with great people and everyone is welcomed.
    I think, therefore, I pick.

Whitney Music and Jazz-N-Java cafe of Willmar hosted jazz violinist Randy Sabien this past Thursday for a workshop and concert, one hour each. Sabien teaches at the McNally Smith College of Music in St. Paul, and he brought a couple of guitar-playing students along with to back him up. The workshop was very good, but only three of us partook (me on mandolin and two violinists). Whitney Music hosts jam sessions every Monday night (6-7 pm) and Saturday morning (9-11 am), with Thursday night sing-alongs.

Also, I talked with the owner of The Note Gallery (TNG) in Marshall, and she has added a second jam session monthly. Previously only hosting the first Thursday of each month, TNG has now added the third Thursday also, 7 pm.

So, if you have to hang out in Central or SW Minnesota for whatever reason, come on by these two establishments and help support local jamming!

No financial interest on my part in either case; only want to see jamming alive and well around here.