Thread: Speaker considerations & recommendations

Default Speaker considerations & recommendations

Recently, I purchased an Eastwood Mandocaster online. Not long after, I found a pretty good deal for a Two Rock EXO 15 amplifier head (15watt, tube rectified, Class A/B, 4,8, & 16ohm outputs), and pulled the trigger.

Now, I need advice on a speaker. I've read the some threads here, and there is a lot said about choosing 8 or 10" over 12".

Considered starting off with a 4x8" Blackstar cabinet. Have also been emailing Earcandy, about building a 2x8 cab, with the option of running either one speaker at 8ohm, or both at 4ohm.)

I'm honestly not sure what I need, and could use some input.

I'm only playing at home, a condo with fairly close neighbors. I haven't modded the Mcaster yet, and am not sure which way I will go with pickups and pots yet, but I imagine I'll get something from Mooncaster in due time.

I can read a frequency response chart, but know that in the real world... pretty much meaningless.

Where to start....?
    Last edited by journeymanjohn; Dec-19-2014 at 6:34pm. Reason: typo

Blog Entries

Default Re: Speaker considerations & recommendations

Best bang/buck are 12" cones, I'd say. And 15 watts is low power needing a large cone. A single 12" can be compact or large-box, and light or heavy, but will be all the speaker you need and probably cost less than 2 good 8" speakers. A really nice design is the Mesa Boogie open-back cab for one 12".

For tone, the Fender/Jensen design has a dull but warm high end and tight bottom (high resonant freq). Decent efficiency (volume). Wants a large cabinet. Sweet overdrive tone because it will mellow the crackle.

The Celestion speakers have beautiful bell-like highs and compliant low-resonant freq bottom. They make a nice neodynium-mag speaker, the Century Vintage (4 lbs.). Very good efficiency. The Classic Lead is heavier )10 lbs.) and darker in the highs. I get gobs of volume out of a cramped little open-back box (former practice amp) with a Celestion Century crammed in it.

The Eminence line is probably in between the two, with good efficiency and interesting highs, and neodynium-mag designs available. In smaller cones, the Eminence Beta 8a is nice for 8", but efficiency will not be anywhere close to a 12". The smooth freq curve means smooth overdrive tone, but a little less interesting than a Jensen 12".

The info that helps to make frequency-response curves more useful is the Thiele-Small parameters that are listed on some sites---US Speaker is good for this (full line of Eminence). Celestion also lists its numbers. Efficiency is rated across the freq curve, and the resonant frequency is really indicative of how generous the low end will be in smaller cabinets.

I am using a tiny 6.5" speaker from Eminence (Alphalite neodynium), that is notionally a mid-bass woofer. I chose it because only woofers are high-power and not tiny/tinny in tone if small. I wanted small and light, and that item weighs 2 lbs for 100 watts RMS rating. Its resonant freq is 130, roughly the same as the C on my 5- and 10-string mandos. I made a tiny box using an online design app (KB apps). Works ok but likes to be on the floor for decent bottom and needs that 100 watts to push it to performance volume.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

3. The following members say thank you to Tom Wright for this post:

That's another good point, about the wattage. A friend of mine, recommends having somewhere around 800-1200% wattage on the speaker, as output wattage on the amp, especially for a sure to be overdriven tube amp. The reasoning I was given is that distortion (clips and spikes) are the main cause of speaker failure. So with a 15w amp, that puts me in the 120 to 180watt range.

Seems like a whole lot to me. What opinions due the members here have?

I'm actually beginning to lean toward a 2*10 setup though. Browsing the celestion site, I ran across the G10 Vintage, which sounds like (from the marketing ) that is what I'm looking for. I didn't check, nor am I sure I understand the Theile-Small info. I imagine I could learn to make sense of it though... with enough time and an internet connection. .

I'm certain that if I mention moving up to a 2*10 to Earcandy, he is going to start selling his 10" Jazz speakers, but at something like 300 watts for the pair, I'm not sure my little 15watt amp would drive them?? And he publishes no real info on 'em. Not that all the tech specs does a lot for me....

I use a 15 watt amp and a 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex. It's made out of hemp....the kind you don't smoke. I love the speaker. It has a real nice laid back smooth feel to it. Here are the specs. http://www.eminence.com/pdf/Cannabis_Rex.pdf
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

6. The following members say thank you to Michael Weaver for this post:

The eminence Cannabis Rex 12" is a good match depending on the tone you want. Fender were putting these speakers in a custom Blues Jr. they built for and sold through Pro Guitar Shop and were highly regarded. You might still be able to hear them on Pro Guitar Shop's video website.

8. The following members say thank you to Mark Christensen for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Christensen View Post
    The eminence Cannabis Rex 12" is a good match depending on the tone you want. Fender were putting these speakers in a custom Blues Jr. they built for and sold through Pro Guitar Shop and were highly regarded. You might still be able to hear them on Pro Guitar Shop's video website.
    That's exactly what I have. Sounds really good.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

10. The following members say thank you to Michael Weaver for this post:

I think you need to decide what tone you want, then go for equipment matching that. Also, do you play 4, 5 or 8 string. Are you looking for an amplified acoustic sound or a true electric sound?

I have found 15" speakers work best for my situation, as I hear a better midrange sound. This is the pitch range where the mandolin. I look for a darker speaker that doesn't hype the A and E strings too much. I play a 5 string, so I want a full C string sound, without being to boomy/flabby. I am also a 50s era Jazz player so I want that type of tone.

My favorite two speakers I use recording and around the house are a late 50s Jensen P15N (alnico) and an early 60s Jensen C15N (ceramic). My gigging amp is a Quilter MicroPro with an 8" speaker that is amazing in how clear and present it makes the instrument (Mann EM5) sound. Plus at 19 pounds, I only need one trip to and from the car!
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

I'm only playing at home, a condo with fairly close neighbors.
    given those limitations .. consider wireless headphones, and speaker emulating types of circuits . in your practice amp (Roland does that)

Condos with Neighbors you have to live with, may make concessions necessary..

One of my Friends built a Room within a room .. with a foot of dead air space between them
    & inner and outer Doors .. to be able to keep his concert Piano Dynamics range
    in practice.. ( and teach Piano lessons )

and it was a Separate Garage-studio conversion , in a Neighbor hood of separate Houses ..

Of course Mandolin in the treble clef wont shake the walls like a Booming Bass ,

perhaps hanging drapes on the walls , (like tapestries were used in stone Castles )

will absorb the sound reflecting off the walls and not have it heard so clearly on the Other side.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

14. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

I'm not a fan of 8's. I find they tend to sound "boxy". I favor 10's followed by 12's. 10's tend to be a bit punchier [faster attack] but still full. I have an amp with a 6" and it sounds really nice.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

16. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

Well, this weekend I purchased an unloaded 2x10 cabinet. I still haven't decided on speakers for it yet though. Right now I'm leaning towards the Eminence Lil Buddy. I like the warmer, mellower tone, than the other 10" I listened too, but how much can one tell by judging the sound of a speaker, by listening thru another speaker (computer and headphones)? Who knows how many times I'll change my mind before actually buying....

Have pretty much decided to wire the cab so as to have the option of running both speakers at 4ohms, or either speaker at 8ohms.

Quote Originally Posted by journeymanjohn View Post
    Well, this weekend I purchased an unloaded 2x10 cabinet. I still haven't decided on speakers for it yet though. Right now I'm leaning towards the Eminence Lil Buddy. I like the warmer, mellower tone, than the other 10" I listened too, but how much can one tell by judging the sound of a speaker, by listening thru another speaker (computer and headphones)? Who knows how many times I'll change my mind before actually buying....
    The Lil Buddy is a fabulous speaker. One of my rigs is a 2x10 but each in separate cabinets. One has the Lil Buddy and the other a Weber Alnico Silver Bell. They sound a bit different from each other, but that adds a nice level of complexity to the tone IMHO.
    VerneAndru.com | oKee.ComX

- ---==< V >==--- -

19. The following members say thank you to Verne Andru for this post:

No close Neighbors , so I use a Small Mixer input and NHT A10 Studio Monitor .

6" + a Dome Tweeter Each.

Un completed Project : a QSC 15" Co-Ax.. horn Tweeter Driver is hiding behind a Mesh center Dome .

a Flat pack floor wedge , precut pieces, would be good to find ,

since I dont have any shop Space to DIY one.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

21. The following members say thank you to mandroid for this post:

Well, made my final decision and placed orders for one each.... Eminence Lil Buddy and a 50 watt Weber 10F150H.