Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hand-Splitting Maple For Mandolins...

Default Re: Hand-Splitting Maple For Mandolins...

This is too cool. Spruce, do you have an inexpensive piece of lumber suitable for a violin top? Ive got this project that needs a new top, but the arch is very flat, so the piece doesnt have to be very thick, 3/4 inch at most. If you have something like this Id rather support a fellow cafe member than buy on Ebay. The violin isnt anything real special, so Im it doesnt have to be the most desirable wood..

Yep...
    PM me...

Thanks spruce, pm sent!

Quote Originally Posted by Spruce View Post
    The "problem" with hand-spliting is that it's very wasteful, both with conifers and hardwoods...
    Sawing-from-the-log will yield you about 1/3 more wood (that's a guess)...
    This is a bit of a Frankenthread, but I'm curious about what kind of saw you use to cut billets. Chainsaw? Wood-miser? Big ol' buzz-saw?
    And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by s1m0n View Post
    This is a bit of a Frankenthread, but I'm curious about what kind of saw you use to cut billets. Chainsaw? Wood-miser? Big ol' buzz-saw?
    I use the equivalent of a Woodmiser, but the optimum way to mill hand-split billets into sets is with a good upright bandsaw...

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spruce For This Useful Post:

First time poster here! What a read, I was just wondering if these pictures were still available? It says they were moved or deleted? They idea of being able to cut your own wood fascinates me!

Adrian Minarovic

Quote Originally Posted by Seoras View Post
    What a read, I was just wondering if these pictures were still available? It says they were moved or deleted?
    the pics were linked from Photobucket but few years ago they made steps to prohibit such linking (so that they could earn on advertising or payents from users) so many of the older pics are now dead.
    More than few makers prepare thair woot themselves. It's just matter of finding the right log and have enough time to wait till it dries once cut and stickered in your shed. Most makers prefer buying ready-to-go blanks from reputable wood cutters (like Bruce Harvie - Spruce, the OP)
    Adrian

That’s what I figured but thought I’d ask! We got a whole lotta woods behind us here in Pei and figured it would be fun to use some fallen trees if I can get the right size. Is it best to dry in just a shed? I’d imagine you wouldn’t want them to let the moisture out to fast and could end up cracking eh?