Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wegen Bluegrass picks

Default Re: Wegen Bluegrass picks

Interesting that for mandolin I do not like the Wegen Bluegrass Pick (small and pointy and seem to drag for me).

But I love the Wegen TF 140. So when folks say they like or don't like a brand, dont let it influence you too much. You also need to know the particular model. And there is always someone who loves the pick you hate and hates the pick you love. If only a few people like a pick, they wouldn't be making them. So I remind myself that although I may not like one, it may be perfect for others and visa versa.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    The 'new' Primetone picks are made from Meldin'
    I don't think that is right Ivan. Dunlop has said from the beginning that they are made from Ultex. If it was Meldin, I can't see how they could sell them for only $2 per pick.

I agree with your comments about the Primetones being brighter and more punchy. They definitely provide more volume than any other pick I've used. What I'm discovering I don't like about them, and this is just my experiences, is that while it has a punchy tone and lots of volume, it provides a very flat, fundamental note that has little or no overtones. So, while I would use them in a situation where volume was needed more than anything, I find the Wegen I use gives me close to the same volume but has a more complex, sweeter tone. Even the Fender 346 Extra Heavy that I used for years gives me a better tone than the Primetones. I keep going back and forth with the Wegen and the Primetone. I play the Primetone for a while then get the Wegen out and the sound is so much better to me.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

"The 'new' Primetone picks are made from Meldin''. You're quite correct Larry,Primetone picks are indeed 'Ultex' . I got it the wrong way around,the Blue Chip pick are 'Meldin'. Re. Wegen v Primetone preferences,use the one that sounds best to yourself - exactly what we all do. There's no 'right or wrong' about the matter,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Kelsall View Post
    There's no 'right or wrong'
    That's so true about so many things. Picks, strings, A vs. F, roundwound vs. flatwound. We can all be very helpful to each other with suggestions and why we like a particular product, but when it comes down to it, we have to decide for ourselves what works best.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Quote Originally Posted by timcw4 View Post
    ...I'm actually leaning towards Wegen because I really like the grip holes, but the BC has a brighter sound that's nice as well.
    I also like the holes, but most of my picks don't come with them. I just drill 3 holes spaced evenly near the center, ~1/8" diameter. I've done this on the JD tortex, ultex, my blue chips, and Wegens, etc. It is not a good idea on thin, brittle material like casein (Papa's).