Thread: D'Addario Releases Mandolin String Set Inspired by Chris Thile

Fetches news & information NewsFetcher's Avatar

Default D'Addario Releases Mandolin String Set Inspired by Chris Thile

The Mandolin Cafe has posted the following news release:
    D'Addario Releases Mandolin String Set Inspired by Chris Thile

D'Addario is proud to introduce EXP74CM, a new custom medium coated mandolin set inspired by mandolin virtuoso Chris Thile. A giveaway of string sets and other gifts will be announced in the near future by D'Addario and the Mandolin Cafe.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply.
    Posts belonging to this account are created by a software task, not a human. Don't understand what that means? This information will explain how this post got here.

2. The following members say thank you to NewsFetcher for this post:

Question Re: D'Addario Releases Mandolin String Set Inspired by Chris Thil

According to the tension charts on D'Addario's site, the D strings at .026" are stated to string up to a different tension load depending on the set of which they are a part: 74, 75 and 74CM.
    I wonder if this is related to the tension of the rest of the strings in the set, or are they all 'different' .026" PB strings?

Default Re: D'Addario Releases Mandolin String Set Inspired by Chris Thil

Quote Originally Posted by mandopixie View Post
    According to the tension charts on D'Addario's site, the D strings at .026" are stated to string up to a different tension load depending on the set of which they are a part: 74, 75 and 74CM.
    I wonder if this is related to the tension of the rest of the strings in the set, or are they all 'different' .026" PB strings?
    The mass of these strings must be different.

Are they Catholic strings, then?

Strange. I ordered a two sets of these strings last week and they cancelled my order because they were out of stock.
    mandomurph

Joyful pickin'!

Quote Originally Posted by mandomurph View Post
    Strange. I ordered a two sets of these strings last week and they cancelled my order because they were out of stock.
    Guess I got lucky. I placed an order for 2 of the new sets with Strings and Beyond on December 11. I couldn't find any other vendors with these strings in stock at that time. The 2 sets arrived in just a few days with a nice thank you and a cheery holiday wish from Wanda. I haven't put the strings on my mandolin yet.
    "I yam what I yam"

Same here, ordered two sets and my order was cancelled.
    2009 Ellis A
    2015 Weber Yellowstone 2-Point Octave
    1984 Flatiron A5-2
    1952 Martin A Oval
    1912 Martin Bowlback
    1915 Washburn Bowlback
    1910's Lyon and Healy Bowlback
    3-1900's European Bowlback's

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdegree View Post
    Same here, ordered two sets and my order was cancelled.
    Did you order from Strings and Beyond as well? And was there any explanation? I was thinking about getting a couple sets myself esp with their free shipping offer running currently.

just talked to strings and beyond yesterday... they ran out of stock but just got a new shipment in as of yesterday. they said they were fulfilling all orders they were placed.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    The mass of these strings must be different.
    A different mass D string for each set, or the rest are different? I'm still confused by this.

Blog Entries

Just got the green light from my contact Don at D'Addario. We're going to hold a giveaway linked from the Cafe home page starting Christmas Eve and we'll select five winners one week later on New Year's Eve. Each winner receives:

5 EXP74CM string sets
    D'Addario Mandolin Strap
    NS Micro Tuner
    Mandolin Capo

That's a pretty nice chunk of change there.

Yea, yea, hold the capo jokes please. D'Addario makes then and they have their place on banjos. Never been one to get hung up on their use. Don't use one myself but would never begrudge anyone that did.

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scott Tichenor For This Useful Post:

"Guess I got lucky. I placed an order for 2 of the new sets with Strings and Beyond on December 11. I couldn't find any other vendors with these strings in stock at that time. The 2 sets arrived in just a few days with a nice thank you and a cheery holiday wish from Wanda. I haven't put the strings on my mandolin yet."

Bummer! While putting on the first set one of the E strings broke. I had to open the second pack to remove one of its E strings to use as a replacement. This E string also broke while installing. The last remaining E string was put on my A5G without incident but that left me with 3/4 of a set of strings. I ended up ordering 8 additional just-in-case single E strings in this guage for future use. I couldn't find any areas on the nut where the strings were sticking in the slot nor burrs on the tuners. Still, it certainly could be installer's error. However, am I correct in recalling that there once was a problem with E string breakage in similar sets not too long ago?
    "I yam what I yam"

Smile Re: D'Addario Releases Mandolin String Set Inspired by Chris Thil

Quote Originally Posted by biologyprof View Post
    However, am I correct in recalling that there once was a problem with E string breakage in similar sets not too long ago?
    Yes, you are, there was, and it did. I suffered. Oh, how I suffered (J75 sets) - but Uncle D'Addario made it all better by sending replacement strings, and a few sets thrown in for good measure.
    Thanks again, Uncle D. for being so right on. Now, that's what I call customer service.

17. The following members say thank you to Paul Statman for this post: