Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Looking for a "beater" to take to a festival/campout

Default Re: Looking for a "beater" to take to a festival/campout

Janet Davis Music has a Rover 25-S and a 50B (both all solid, the latter in black) for 99 and 129 respectively. I've bought a cheap open back Gold Tone banjo from them in the past, and was/am well pleased with their set-up, even on that entry level model. Especially if you call and tell them your preferences, I suspect they'd take good care of you. So, for < 150 bucks you can get a beater than sounds OK and is set up well without elbow grease from you...that's the kind of deal I'd be looking for! NFI, btw, just a satisfied first hand customer. All of the Café sponsors I've played instruments from do a great job at set-ups!

My true beater is a Kentucky 675-S that was my first mandolin and an eBay disaster. I now let people I play music with autograph it Marty Stuart style, and, honestly, only play it in the worst of conditions with the highest risk of damage, which admittedly, doesn't happen terribly often. I have a Flatiron 1N that's my "go to" beater, but it's a little out of your range. Most of the time I take my Silver Angel Econo model. It's my best mandolin, by far, heck, probably my best instrument by far, but I got it used for 900 dollars, so I don't worry a ton about it. I'm very careful with it, and would be very sad if I lost or destroyed it, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Rob, I was able to get your e-book from a fellow Café member's post, but have been unsuccessful with probably 3 email attempts and a pm (maybe 2, haven't tried to reach you for several months). It's a very good resource, and, coupled with frets.com, can really help you maximize your mandolin's playability! If you've blocked me for something I've said or done, sorry! Probably didn't mean it (or, if I did mean it, would love to discuss further, pm me!). Or, maybe I was using an old email from an outdated thread. Just letting you know I've had trouble reaching you in the past...and, thanks for the resource!
    Chuck

Quote Originally Posted by Don Grieser View Post
    Hey Clef,

I've been going to Pagosa and camping is fine there. I stash my mando in my truck. Put some shade up in your windows and leave them cracked, cover the case with some stuff and it doesn't get too hot to go see a couple sets of music. There's usually someone in the camp area where I camp (near Gregg). No big deal to bring a good instrument and pick. Lots of good jams late at night--great reason to camp. Stop by and pick one with us.

Don
    Thanks Don. Hopefully I'll get a chance to pick with you and Gregg in Pagosa at the next bluegrass fest. I'm still a mandolin student of Gregg's and it's going well. Although I do more group jam classes than private lessons these days. He got me jamming with others more and spending less time practicing alone. I've been eager to start bringing a mandolin to bluegrass fests.

Regarding beater mandolins. I was inquiring about getting one when I was at The Mandolin Store in AZ. They guys there said, "you don't want to do that. Once you play the good stuff, you don't want to play anything else." I had my Gibson with me and they really liked it.

After this thread, I'll look into getting a decent second mandolin as a travel instrument. Once I get comfortable jamming at fests, then maybe I'll bring my Gibson on occasion.
    2012 Gibson F5 Custom Goldrush (Harvey)
    2014 Rover RM-75 F
    bowlback mandolin (1890's to 1900 era)

Was thinking this over while at an annual Christmas party last night. I take along my Larrivee (my good guitar) and lead carols at this party each year. The placeis full of kids and people crammed in everywhere. It just makes me more careful with my old prized guitar.

As I was playing last night the Larrivee sounded absolutely glorious: fresh strings and everything was just going right with my playing too. I started thinking how taking my Takamine (out of fear of harming the Larrivee) would've lessened the experience. I had people tell me afterward how nice the guitar sounded and how it filled up the room.

At least from my perspective, the whole point of having nice instruments is to put them to use and enjoy them. That's the whole reason I bought the thing! Playing a good instrument when it's time to play makes playing better. YMMV.

[QUOTE=Caleb;13542
    At least from my perspective, the whole point of having nice instruments is to put them to use and enjoy them. That's the whole reason I bought the thing! Playing a good instrument when it's time to play makes playing better. YMMV.[/QUOTE]

Can't argue with that!

I have three mandolins:
    A ten-string Sobell (my main stage instrument with a good pick-up) which would be difficult to replace, and anyway I've been playing it for thirty years.
    A Collings MT. A good mandolin, but it's not that hard to find a replacement.
    An Encore, which is a cheap Korean thing I've had for over twenty years.

I don't have a problem with taking the Sobell to gigs. That's what it's for, and I want to sound my best.
    The Collings is great for parties, pub things, travelling.
    The Encore is fine for travelling when you're not sure where you're going to find yourself but you want an instrument with you. It plays OK - sounds quite nice actually. It probably wouldn't hold its own in a big bluegrass jam at a festival but if you're planning a trip to Costa Rica and might be white water rafting with it, then it seems a good choice!
    David A. Gordon

5. The following members say thank you to Dagger Gordon for this post:

Jim 

How about an old Gibson A model --a jr or a plain A. $600 might get you one if you enjoy the hunt. That way you have both a replaceable "beater" and a pretty good mandolin in the same package. It's a value thing, to some people a couple of hundred dollars is as high as they are willing to go if they think there is a potential risk by taking their instrument someplace and for others it might be a couple of thousand or more or even a lot more. Someone complained about "lugging" their mandolin. Not that much lugging involved with a mandolin, now if this was the upright base Cafe I could see your point. Banjos can definitely feel like luggage but a mandolin is pretty easy to carry around and you can always get one of those backpack type cases. I had an old Lyon and Healy G model once, it didn't weight much more than my Iphone! We are talking about a music festival here,not a mountain expedition. If I were you--or rather if I was me, I'd take my good instrument.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Gordon View Post
    Can't argue with that!

I have three mandolins:
    A ten-string Sobell (my main stage instrument with a good pick-up) which would be difficult to replace, and anyway I've been playing it for thirty years.
    A Collings MT. A good mandolin, but it's not that hard to find a replacement.
    An Encore, which is a cheap Korean thing I've had for over twenty years.

I don't have a problem with taking the Sobell to gigs. That's what it's for, and I want to sound my best.
    The Collings is great for parties, pub things, travelling.
    The Encore is fine for travelling when you're not sure where you're going to find yourself but you want an instrument with you. It plays OK - sounds quite nice actually. It probably wouldn't hold its own in a big bluegrass jam at a festival but if you're planning a trip to Costa Rica and might be white water rafting with it, then it seems a good choice!
    Dagger, I'm curious, how common is a Collings instrument where you live? Did you buy yours online or play it first? I've never played an MT that didn't impress me, and a few have really blown me away.

Hi,
    Yes, you can get them.

http://www.themusicroom-online.co.uk...37_265_543_640

However I bought mine in person at TAMCO in Brighton. I did not specifically go to the shop to buy a MT. I just liked it and it was in my price range.

Edit: Although you can get them, it is the case that I haven't seen anyone else with one in Scotland. Doesn't mean there aren't any, of course. I have occasionally seen a Collings guitar.
    Last edited by Dagger Gordon; Dec-21-2014 at 11:33am.
    David A. Gordon

I guess I like the idea of putting your best foot forward and taking your good mandolin. Just be aware and be careful. Don't let it out of your sight, in other words.

There's always the classic case of oneupmanship, as MAD magazine would have called it years ago. If you bring a beater to a gig, somebody will show up with a brand new Gibson, to show off. If you tell them, but wait, I have a Gibson, too! They will say, oh yeah, where's it at? At home, you reply. Yeah, right! That's what I thought! And walks away. And ya can't really blame 'em, can ya?

For Jams and Festivals I'd bring my good instruments. I do have a Beater for camping where playing isn't the focus and conditions are worse than most festivals. I might leave it in a tent or the back of the pickup while hiking, fishing ect. That one also has been my main travel instrument and has entertained me in airports and hotel rooms. It's of the Johnson level of quality but has had the action tweaked for 12 years or so and plays quite well. I'd miss it if stolen or broken but would replace it with a low end Rover or Kentucky in a minute.
    Jim Richmond

Dagger, I have Collings in stock now.
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

Quote Originally Posted by trevor View Post
    Dagger, I have Collings in stock now.
    Hi Trevor,

Yes, that's good to know. Thanks.

Not exactly a 'beater' but they are replaceable and appear to be very consistent.

Have a good Christmas Trevor.

Dagger
    David A. Gordon

Peavey, comes with a case, looks cool, sounds pretty darn good for $149. Just got one on a lark and was impressed. Mine now comes to work with me so if I forget it at work (not likely) I can wait until next week to pick it up.

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

The Beater - my essay

I don’t like the concept! I recognize that some mandolins cost $20,000.00 and that’s a lot of coin for a casual stroll through a festival or airport. I also recognize that mandolins are available on the market for less than a hundred bucks and with a good setup can be quite playable.

Most folks that really want to bring a mandolin to a festival have enough experience to showcase a few tunes and chop a few chords along with others. I’d bet that most folks that want to bring a mandolin to a festival or on a trip are in it for the long haul. So, herein lays my overall perspective. Why buy a sub-par mandolin to accompany your journeys?

Ooh, now we have to address, what’s a, “par” mandolin? Well, beyond the setup, it has to have some measure of horsepower and a sound that’s acceptable. I’d seek out solid woods and, for an arch-top, hand-carved gradations, which are available from Eastman, The Loar, Kentucky, J. Bouvier and others. I’ve found my needs in my Flatiron 1N, which is a flat-top mandolin that’s available for about $600 or $700 bucks. It’s not a beater though. It’s an authentic mandolin – a mandolin that I’ve enjoyed for at least a decade. A mandolin that I have and will continue to built stories upon.

So, for the instrument that you take on trips, to festivals, camping and to the campfire, you are building stories. Each of these stories (to me) has greater value then the $50 dollar or the $1,000 dollar initial purchase price. I’d rather build stories with something that’ll I’ll cherish. And, that conflicts with the entire notion of a, “Beater,” which seems like something you’d leave out in the rain. . .

f-d
    Ąpapá gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to fatt-dad For This Useful Post:

AstroCalebjochemgr 

"“Beater,” which seems like something you’d leave out in the rain. . ." Isn't that the point? Its not a big deal if you do leave it out in the rain, or drop from your canoe or a bear eats it (might be worth it if you can watch).. etc., etc..
    Trevor
    Formerly of The Acoustic Music Co (TAMCO) Brighton England now retired.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trevor For This Useful Post:

JimPribar 

I think fatt-dad nailed it with the idea of "building stories" with an instrument. That's a really great idea and one that sums it up well. I have a lot more stories with my Larrivee guitar than with my mandolin, and those stories are part of what makes it special. It was there for a lot of the memorable moments of my musical (and otherwise) life. All the bumps and bruises are also part of the story. The big idea is living and enjoying life and the things that make up your life while you have them (both life and the things).

I don't disagree with F-D in general - I just don't agree with his definition of beater. No, I would not leave my beater in the rain. But if I did, one of 2 things would happen: 1) the laminate back/sides would help the beater actually survive, or 2) I would have to spend another $300 to replace it. Either way, I would have a story, and it would not be a tragic one. Now, if my favorite instrument, (after 30 years of searching!) was left in the rain, it would be tragic. I hate tragedies, so you can keep those stories.

Even though I do like my beater and find it's tone more than just acceptable, I still would take a better mandolin to a festival if I expected to jam. But I might not take my favorite. Which is kinda funny, because I would likely take a MORE expensive instrument than my favorite, because my fav mandolin is only my third most expensive.
    -Jim

Your best bet would probably be a used instrument. The Kentucky KM-150 is a playable mando that goes for $230 new, so you could definitely find that for a pretty low price used.

If you're looking for a beater with a bit better quality than that, you could consider a Loar 220 or an Eastman 305, which are both excellent mandolins that go for under $500 new.

Guitar Center had a used Rogue for $29.99 the other day, but it looks like someone snatched that baby up already. The good ones always go fast.

My beater story: after some catch and release I finally settled down to two great mandolins, a Weber Bitterroot A and a Breedlove FO. Two distinctly different but lovely tones. The Bitterroot sounds woody and the Breedlove brighter and nicely balanced, both loud enough to get the job done. But I had a seemingly innocuous incident at a gig resulted in a wing crack on the top of the Weber. A quickie repair by a luthier left me unsatisfied. The repair was sturdy but very visible. I ended up sending it back to Weber to have the repair done over and they made it invisible. Looks like it never even happened! Also had some upgrades done while it was there. Had the headstock decal replaced with pearl inlay. A detail for sure, but worth every penny. My Bitterroot looks factory fresh now and I try to keep both good mandolins that way. I only take them to gigs that will be indoors, temperature controlled, and spacious.

In conversations with my wife I expressed a desire for a "good beater". An instrument that I could take to outdoor and less than ideal gigs. One that didn't cost much but still looked and sounded good. Last Christmas she surprised me with a used Kentucky KM 600 from The Mandolin Store. It fit the bill perfectly! It has great tone, more akin to my Bitterroot, looks nice, and only cost 400 dollars. It sounds and looks so good a lot of people assume it's my good mandolin! For me it's the perfect beater.

If I'm on a picnic (my family goes on a lot of picnics if weather allows) I throw in my Martin Backpacker. No one mistakes that for my good mandolin, but it sure is fun to have along.
    Don

2016 Weber Custom Bitterroot F
    2011 Weber Bitterroot A
    1974 Martin Style A

I have been reluctant to weigh in on this but, here I go!
    I am not one to stockpile a roomful of instruments simply because I have never been able to afford it, I have had two (decent) instruments only twice at the same time. I have always taken what I had. It's not a it what your packin' but, more about how you play at the festivals I have been to.
    I started with a 60dollar Harmony, upgraded to a KM 11, sold the Harmony. Upgraded to my Alvarez in 75, sold the KM 11(should have kept it) got a good deal on an A-50, turned that in six months. Bought an A style Stiver, as nice as it was, I never really warmed up to it, sold that in 84. I've played the Alvarez with some very fine musicians, and very fine instruments, it has held it's own and surprised many at jams!
    Now, after reading this one mans story of mandolin deprivation, when you feel such pity just send all your money to me and I will upgrade to the Halsey F-5 with matching A-5 in double case and I will carry them with pride everywhere, sharing at any opportunity!
    Jaycat already sent the picture so, you can all just send Bill money and make it a real surprise! I have got to get out of the hospitality suite, I must be less than sober! Hahahahahahahahahahah!
    Birthday is in August, just there is some benefactor out there
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

Looks like this has been beaten to death, but I'll brush away a few flies hovering around the carcass.

I hear ya. I have a Collings MT, so it's not a priceless heirloom, and it could be replaced... but I think it's a really good example, and I'd be bummed as can be if anything happened to it. But I bring it to fests all the time, because it sounds great, and I like playing a good instrument.

I think the idea of going to this fest to get a taste of the place without your expensive mandolin isn't a crazy idea. You might be inclined to bring your good'un next time.

But bring a sub-$100 Mandolin-shaped object? No way.

Assuming you're not broke (you have an expensive custom mando, but that doesn't necessarily mean anything), if you aren't living from week to week, and if you have a few bucks available, here's what I'd do:

I'd find a used Kentucky KM-950. (Probably in the $700 range.) These are really, really nice mandolins for the money, and I don't think i'd be embarrassed to have one at a fest.

My philosophy around buying a used instrument is that they're kinda like a savings account you can enjoy in real time. Assuming you find a good deal, the KM-950 is fairly popular, and you could sell for what you paid for it pretty quickly. Not much risk.

Insure it if it makes you feel better.

Sell it if and when you need the money for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Petrus View Post
    Guitar Center had a used Rogue for $29.99 the other day, but it looks like someone snatched that baby up already. The good ones always go fast.
    I don't care what you play, that's funny right there.
    Charley

A bunch of stuff with four strings

I have an eighties aspen. a Korean A mandolin that was 185 cnd in a pawn shop. solid woods, but Asian woods. great sound for a beater. some of the eighties washburns A's are also great sounding. (you want to find one that doesn't need re frettin g--I re fretted mine but I play it busking, and I busk a lot some years) as was said. craigslist!!!