Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hardanger or Hardingfele (fiddle, no mando content)

Default Re: Hardanger or Hardingfele (fiddle, no mando content)

I don't think so... hardanger fiddles have those overlapping f-holes and I think that may be what you are seeing.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

I wrote an article on carving hardanger soundboards with the overlapping f holes for the GAL's American Lutherie a few years back. I found a few photos on a Norwegian builders website when I couldn't get my head around the sequence of processes involved and wrote it all up with a bit more detail. I can send a pdf or put it up on the website if anyone is interested, though you should all be members of the GAL if you make instruments anyway

cheers

3. The following members say thank you to Graham McDonald for this post:

gtani7 

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Just curious... what are these tunes that Caoimhín Ó Raghallaigh plays? Are they original compositions? They don't sound like Norwegian or Irish to me.
    Extended improvisations? The piece in 1/5 sounds like maybe a composition-

There's some real nice trad stuff on utube too - some of which now seems unavailable though..
    Last edited by catmandu2; Dec-20-2014 at 10:45pm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Graham McDonald View Post
    I wrote an article on carving hardanger soundboards with the overlapping f holes for the GAL's American Lutherie a few years back. I found a few photos on a Norwegian builders website when I couldn't get my head around the sequence of processes involved and wrote it all up with a bit more detail. I can send a pdf or put it up on the website if anyone is interested, though you should all be members of the GAL if you make instruments anyway cheers
    Any thoughts on what is gained by overlapping f-holes -- maybe better for expressing the sympathetic vibrations?

Or is it perhaps that is how a Hardingfele fiddle is made -- no reason needed.

I was going to look it up but what is the origin of the two different names?
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

Others will know...I think there's a region - or particular lake?- in norway from whence it derives. Probably is trad pronounciation - modern convention, etc..

There is Hardangerfjord near Bergen, and I always thought the Hardanger fiddle is the English version of Hardingfele. I think that the origin of the Norwegian fiddles might lie with the early German Stainer school of violins which have very steep arching and an almost flat centre section (a bit like Orville G's early mandolins!) s well as a squarer outline like some of the older Hardanger fiddles. I suspect the undercut f holes were because they could Don't think they were being that analytical about the acoustics

cheers

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham McDonald For This Useful Post:

Brief but informative article here. I don't really see any resemblance to Stainer violins which have an unusually high arch. I believe the hardanger fiddles are actually flatter in profile.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

10. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

It was more the shape of the arching, rather than the height I was thinking of. The two plans I have seen of Hardangers use a fairly standard 15mm arching height, though I haven't done any research on the older ones with the squarer body shape. Somewhere along the way I have come across some early (16th /early 17th century) German fiddles with a similar older shape and that steeply rising by flat across the top arching and that seemed like a possible influence for that old Hardanger shape as a folk fiddle. Could be entirely wrong of course

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Brief but informative article here. I don't really see any resemblance to Stainer violins which have an unusually high arch. I believe the hardanger fiddles are actually flatter in profile.
    The link on the page to nice selection of playing styles is pretty interesting too.
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.

I've got a Chinese hardanger made by Mr Song (the maker whose work normally turns up on eBay). I acquired it from a friend who was needing to thin the herd. It's well enough made and sounds the part, with enough drone from the sympathetic strings.

It's built to the same length as a standard violin and is of heavier construction than most genuine hardangers. It supports modern strings rather than requiring gut. It also looks the part - at a distance you'd easily think that it was the genuine thing. It doesn't retain any significant value; I picked this up at around half the eBay price. It comes in a nice case (a BAM knock-off).

I also have a Norwegian hardanger which cost me around ten times what I paid for the Chinese one (and continues to do so in restringing costs). For the times I simply want to play Scots or Irish tunes with added drone the Chinese instrument is the easy choice.

I wouldn't have contemplated buying from eBay though. Overpriced (to me), and not the sort of instrument to buy untried. You'll not find it too easy to sell on if you don't like it.

Even more info on this 4+ year old thread on hardanger fiddles.

Also: here is a page on how one experienced maker makes the f-holes.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Anyone in the US seriously interested in the Hardanger fiddle should consider joining the Hardanger Fiddle Association of America, if only for the easy access to proper strings.

Quote Originally Posted by houseworker View Post
    Anyone in the US seriously interested in the Hardanger fiddle should consider joining the Hardanger Fiddle Association of America, if only for the easy access to proper strings.
    I've also gotten their instruction books which are pretty helpful considering there is next to nothing else out there on the subject!

Thanks to everyone for the info. Proof again that this is the best forum on the net. I posted the same question on the fiddle hangout and got...3 responses.

hi i bought one of theses chinese hardangers from song musical ebay and have done a sound clip. is there a way of loading it up on
    here? or maybe i will have to put it on soundcloud or something any suggestions? thanks oh and these are beautiful fiddles!

Click on the Go Advanced button, then Manage Attachments and upload the sound file. Post some pictures of the fiddle at the same time.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hadanger pic 1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	142059hardanger mp3.mp3ah ha thanks for that so here it is not the best quality recoding just improvising and the best bit is the last 10 sec! took a
    while to warm up but the actual live tone is deeper and very resonant and sweet highs but you'll get a good idea anways.
    the pic is a very similar one to mine same maker song musical. the pegs wiil need ajusting by a luthier a are a bit tight when new.

Quote Originally Posted by hahadanger View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hadanger pic 1.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	58.0 KB 
ID:	142059hardanger mp3.mp3ah ha thanks for that so here it is not the best quality recoding just improvising and the best bit is the last 10 sec! took a
    while to warm up but the actual live tone is deeper and very resonant and sweet highs but you'll get a good idea anways.
    the pic is a very similar one to mine same maker song musical. the pegs wiil need ajusting by a luthier a are a bit tight when new.
    oh and these are cheap factory strings on it i will replace with a set of fanitullen strings
    i got from norway from Con Arco and will record again when they settle to see if there is any difference in tone.