Thread: Yet another pick question?

Default Yet another pick question?

I am currently using the Black Raven large triangle 1.9 pick and like it very much. I would like to try a different pick and am not ready to go for the Blue Chip. I've been looking at the D'Andrea Pro Plec, but I have only found it with rounded corners, which I don't prefer. Do they make a pick with pointed corners? How does that compare to the Black Raven? I tried the Golden Gate picks, which is how I realized I didn't prefer rounded corners. I really like the large triangle shape; does Wegen make that shape pick? Sorry if this has been covered ad nausea, I don't have much luck using the search engine on this website.
    Daniel Kaufman

Default Re: Yet another pick question?

D'you mean like these - http://www.wegenpicks.com/images/tf100120140.jpg

Then the answer is yes!

If the only thing you don't like about the pick is the corners, then sand the edges and points to the shape you want. Shouldn't take much more than ten minutes. Complete the sanding with a fine grade of sandpaper to eliminate pick noise you might get with a sanded surface.

Thank you. Can you tell me what the thickness of those Wegen picks is? I like a pick between 1.5 and 2.0.
    Daniel Kaufman

I recently switched from a Fender Extra Heavy 351 to a PaPa's faux IVOROID 2.2mm pick and really liking it so far!

The PaPa's pick glads over the strings and gives me a fuller tone with rounder highs but at the same time sound a tad bright.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Quote Originally Posted by FrDNicholas View Post
    Thank you. Can you tell me what the thickness of those Wegen picks is? I like a pick between 1.5 and 2.0.
    I love the Wegen TF140. Its 1.4mm and thats plenty thick because its stiff. You get 2 for 15 bucks.

Its easy to tell thickness with Wegen's because that is what the number is.
    No matter where I go, there I am...Unless I'm running a little late.

Try the Blue Chip, you can return it if you don't like it and they are offering free priority shipping today thru Wed evening. You'll most likely end up spending $5 to $10 on other picks anyway.

I also like Wegan picks, I like the CF model and you can get it directly from Chad at Greg Boyd instruments.

http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail...essory_key=971

Plays very nice and is nice to hold, I do still prefer the BC but the Wegan comes in a very close second.
    Last edited by bigskygirl; Dec-14-2014 at 12:18pm. Reason: Spelling add link
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Agree with big sky girl. My two favorite picks are the bluechip ct 55 (more triangular) and the wegen CF that big sky girl mentioned (more rounded). The cf is a custom made wegen pick that I believe only comes out of Greg Boyd's music in Missoula (they ship).

I would get the Dunlop 1.5 mm Primetone Pick. It's the same triangle shape as the BC CT55 and I sometimes prefer it to the BC.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Try the Blue Chip, you can return it if you don't like it and they are offering free priority shipping today thru Wed evening. You'll most likely end up spending $5 to $10 on other picks anyway.

I also like Wegan picks, I like the CF model and you can get it directly from Chad at Greg Boyd instruments.

http://gregboyd.com/accessory_detail...essory_key=971

Plays very nice and is nice to hold, I do still prefer the BC but the Wegan comes in a very close second.
    Doesn't the CF model have more rounded corners than the TF models? That would be the opposite of what the OP is looking for.

I have a Wegen pick that I had custom made thru Janet Davis Music. It is essentially the TF140, except instead of 1.4 mm it is 1.8 mm. And I had mine made without a beveled edge. I had two made for $15 each. Gives it a much deeper tone than the standard TF beveled model.
    Another pick I would highly recommend is the Dunlop Primetone Sculpted. They make one that is the exact same shape and size as the Black Raven you have now. It is only 1.5mm but is very stiff material and produces a ton of volume and a good full tone. They're only about $2 per pick.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

OK, I was wrong about the Wegen CF model. It's the same shape as the TF (346 shape) but it is smaller.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Here's a pic of the two picks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	127646  
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    If the only thing you don't like about the pick is the corners, then sand the edges and points to the shape you want. Shouldn't take much more than ten minutes. Complete the sanding with a fine grade of sandpaper to eliminate pick noise you might get with a sanded surface.
    Great advice...and with a bit more work you could just start making picks.

A cheap way is find some oversize pick of the material you like, and sand, file, grind, trim or whatever them to the size and shape you want.

I make my own guitar picks with a pick punch and sheets of delrin, ultem, or other materials. If they made a classical mandolin pick punch I'd be making them too.

Quote Originally Posted by bigskygirl View Post
    Here's a pic of the two picks.
    Those are very similar in shape, except for the one rounded edge on the TP-1R. The Wegen TF140 and the Blue Chip TAD60 are nearly identical in shape to each other and are the same size as the Black Raven. The Wegen CF and the Blue Chip TD might be a little difficult for someone more used to a larger pick. They are all excellent picks though.
    A couple of posts, including mine, have mentioned the Dunlop Primetone. Be careful. For some reason Dunlop has chosen to use the same name for a few different lines of picks. The one that is the same size and shape as the Black Raven is the Primetone™ Triangle Sculpted Plectra 513P. It looks like this.

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	230 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	127647
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

15. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

No affiliation, but Janet Davis Music also carries the Wegen CF's in 1.2 & 1.4:

http://www.jdmc.com/mm5/merchant.mvc...ield=&CpValue=

I found Wegens to be a "gateway pick". They showed me that there is a difference in higher end picks. I have my first two Blue Chips on order, but if I'm not overwhelmed by them, I could happily "settle" for Wegens. FWIW - I reshape and bevel ultem, tortex, etc triangles into the CF / TP shape for some friends and they're all hooked on the bigger than standard size now.

I just wanted to chime in on the Dunlop 1.5 Primetones. I have been using the ProPlec 1.5 from JazzMondo for a while and I wanted to try some other picks. I got the Dunlops in a 3 pack for under 6 bucks. I really like them so far. I use the ultex picks for my guitars and like them for that use as well.

Steve
    Kentucky KM-150

Views:	198 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	127751

So far this is doing a great job.
    Waterloo WL-M

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post

Views:	198 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	127751

So far this is doing a great job.
    Help us out a little. Which one is this? It would help to give a little info. Papas makes several variations of their picks. I will say that the one thing I don't like about the Papa's picks is that they only make one shape. If they made a 346 shape I would have tried one a long time ago.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    Help us out a little. Which one is this? It would help to give a little info. Papas makes several variations of their picks. I will say that the one thing I don't like about the Papa's picks is that they only make one shape. If they made a 346 shape I would have tried one a long time ago.
    It is a faux IVOROID 2.2mm pick and really liking it so far!

The PaPa's pick glids over the strings and gives me a fuller tone with rounder highs but at the same time sounds a tad bright over all.
    Waterloo WL-M