Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E String Loops Slipping at Tension

Default Re: E String Loops Slipping at Tension

Forty plus years and I have not had an issue with either GHS or D'addario strings. For me, it speaks volumes to have D'addario representatives weigh in here, a company who believes in it's product and, is willing to do what it takes for customer satisfaction is refreshing!
    Having had personal dealings with Mr. Dave Holcomb at GHS years ago, their commitment to satisfaction was equal at every turn. I am always surprised when I hear people having so much trouble with strings, I have changed thousands of strings between my personal instruments and store stock, so few string related failures tells me that these folks understand what they are doing.
    Thank you Mr. Dawson for your attention on this issue.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

2. The following members say thank you to Timbofood for this post:

Kowboy 

From Timbofood - "...was equal at every turn.". Was that just on the 'wound' strings ?. Sorry about that Tim.
    I totally agree with your comments regarding manufacturers backing up their products & it does give one a large degree of comfort to know that they're aware of our concerns,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

4. The following members say thank you to Ivan Kelsall for this post:

Kowboy 

For what it's worth, I also had this issue with 2 sets of Elixir strings a few years ago. I reported it and they were nice enough to send a few sets to me. I experienced it on a Gibson tailpiece as well as a James. It was really apparent when I tugged on the string and watched the loop close up like a noose. Soldering the loop would certainly prevent the issue but that's kind of an extreme measure.

6. The following members say thank you to Jeff Budz for this post:

Kowboy 

I had the same issue with some Martin strings a few months ago. I went through about 5 E strings before I finally gave up and took my mandolin to the shop. He was able to put one on without any trouble. He also told me that if they come unwound you can re-wind them (they are just loops after all). I wish I had known that before I went through 5 sets.

I don't think I ever figured out exactly what the problem was, but I don't buy Martin strings any longer. I use the D'Addario J74's now. I haven't had any problems with them.
    Weber Bitterroot A
    The Loar LM-400
    Bernard Allen F-style

Lord of All Badgers Lord of the Badgers's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vulpes_vulpes View Post
    It's hard for me to believe that the chain music store where I buy my strings is selling counterfeits, but it could be...
    tell that to the aircraft industry
    My name is Rob, and I am Lord of All Badgers

Tenor Guitars: Acoustic: Mcilroy ASP10T, ‘59 Martin 0-18t. Electric: ‘57 Gibson ETG-150, ‘80s Manson Kestrel
    Mandolins: Davidson f5, A5 "Badgerlin".
    Bouzouki: Paul Shippey Axe
    My band's website