Thread: 1918 Trap-Door Gibson Banjo-Mando (With a Catch ...)

Default 1918 Trap-Door Gibson Banjo-Mando (With a Catch ...)

A nice Gibson MB-4 Trap Door Mandolin Banjo from 1918. The catch is the guy is selling his whole collection of seven Gibson trap door banjos, and you can only buy all seven together for $25,000.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0banjo-trapdoor3.jpg 
Views:	676 
Size:	128.9 KB 
ID:	126872Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0banjo-trapdoor9.jpg 
Views:	282 
Size:	90.0 KB 
ID:	126873Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0banjo-trapdoor1.jpg 
Views:	365 
Size:	145.7 KB 
ID:	126874

Vintage Gibson Trap Door Collection Banjo Guitar Mandolin Tenor Cello Original
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/111469230796

Default Re: 1918 Trap-Door Gibson Banjo-Mando (With a Catch ...)

$20,000 when I looked. The catch is, they might be worth $20k to a lazy collector or at least in the mind of the seller as a collection but sold individually they are not. A mandolin much like that recently sold on ebay for about $1300. I remember it because I thought $1300 was more like a dealer price than an ebay price and was surprised when it went that high. I don't follow banjos with less than 8 strings so I'm not sure of their value,but I think the date of that mandolin sounds too early by maybe 5 years. "Boomer retiring" going to see a lot of that. Get ready for the flood!

I saw that, what an easy way to become a "collector"! Interesting bunch of banjos.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Having money was always an easy way! Kind of takes the happiness of pursuit out of the equation which is always a problem for people with capital. For the rest of us we are at least guaranteed that in the Constitution.

I think this has been recycled on eBay a few times. Collector mentality is that the collection is worth more than the sum of its parts and that we pay the premium (he thinks) for all the work that was done to assemble such a set. The reality is that unless the person has exactly the same passion as the seller, it is unlikely that they would even want all these at one price. So, it goes.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1