Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Instrument you wish you'd never sold/traded away?

Default Re: Instrument you wish you'd never sold/traded away?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Greenspoon View Post
    Jerman #11. I don't want to talk about it.
    Um.... where may the serial number be found?

I have a very similar-looking Jerman, although it may not be the selfsame one, since it has a coil tap switch.

http://s568.photobucket.com/user/ema...?sort=3&page=1

Last edited by mrmando; Nov-25-2014 at 4:22am.
    Emando.com: More than you wanted to know about electric mandolins.

Notorious: My Celtic CD--listen & buy!

Lyon & Healy • Wood • Thormahlen • Andersen • Bacorn • Yanuziello • Fender • National • Gibson • Franke • Fuchs • Aceto • Three Hungry Pit Bulls

Ive bought some that just didnt get played. A couple of bowlbacks that i woyld have liked to keep, 2 waldzithers i should have kept and a Buchanan bouzouki i never ever should have sold. But as the man says, we are just renting them. I had too many that didnt get played enough so im downsizing to a Stuart zb8 and hopefully an Andylin in mid next year. Im done after that.......

I have way too many instruments that I don't get to play (or don't know how to play) and no time to do so. I have lent some out to people who need them but in the long run it would make more sense to de-access. I have the collector mentality big time but I am realizing that it would be terrible to leave this de-accessing to my wife and kids. I did love some of the instruments that I sold years ago but the money is also useful for many things. In addition, I will reserve some of the proceeds for other new instruments.

Actually I have been thinking about what all this means. Essentially, we are owning these tools for a short time to make music which is a time-based experience. If we don't play these they are merely objects. The experience of playing can be joyful while we are doing it but otherwise it becomes just a memory. We might say we regret selling an instrument but in reality we still have the memory of it that is prob even better than the experience of owning it.

I realize that this is prob one of the reasons why I never name any of my instruments. I am not really emotionally attached to any of them -- certainly not in the way I am with my dogs. When my dogs die I already know that I will be heartbroken.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jim Garber For This Useful Post:

Regrets? Oh, yes.

The 1952 Telecaster I bought for $100 and sold for $500 thinking the market had peaked.
    Same goes for the '59 LP Jr. I played for years. Bought for $350, sold for $750.... now how much do they bring?
    Bought a sweet LP Black Beauty once for a grand, the former owner wanted it back a year later, so I sold it back to him for a grand.

Had over a hundred guitars and basses through the decades... only regret the money I lost on them.

As a good friend of mine who has become a big name dealer used to say (prob still does): "It's all just meat on the rack."

The only things that are truly gone is the imagined profits if we had them stored under the bed and/or the fantasies that these were the dream instruments and were actually better than they were -- otherwise we would still have them in most cases (except for ripoffs and near poverty life situations, of course).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

two t's and one hyphen fatt-dad's Avatar

I took a chance to double my money on a Stiver I'd bought. Stupid me! That was a great mandolin! Yeah, the nut was a touch narrow, but. . .

f-d
    ‘papα gordo ain’t no madre flaca!

'20 A3, '30 L-1, '97 914, 2012 Cohen A5, 2012 Muth A5, '14 OM28A

Blog Entries

Well, while my Pope instruments and the waldzither are not $8000 Brian Dean pieces, I'm not going to be selling them anytime soon (well, maybe the 3 course....for one of those Cricketfiddle pieces!).
    =============================
    Apollonio Acousto-electric bouzouki (in shop)
    Mixter 10 string mandola (still waiting 2+ yrs)
    Unknown brand Mandocaster (on the way!)
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

Quote Originally Posted by NotMelloCello View Post
    Regrets? Oh, yes.

The 1952 Telecaster I bought for $100 and sold for $500 thinking the market had peaked.
    Same goes for the '59 LP Jr. I played for years. Bought for $350, sold for $750.... now how much do they bring?
    Bought a sweet LP Black Beauty once for a grand, the former owner wanted it back a year later, so I sold it back to him for a grand.

Had over a hundred guitars and basses through the decades... only regret the money I lost on them.
    So your regret is that you didn't sell high enough... Tricky that, considering you have to sell before you go but to eke the highest price you'd have to be pretty close to going... Try the Stock Market, but remember to buy low and sell high...

Now lets get back to instruments we'd still like to be playing ...

This thread is timely for me; I sold my beloved Stiver F5 last week... It was the one mandolin I said I'd never sell... I miss it already.

But... with a new baby in the house I had nowhere to play, so I sold the Stiver, threw everything out of the game room, bought a couch + TV to make a music room, and then I bought a PA system for the jazz trio I play in... we're starting to get work.

Hopefully the Stiver $ will turn into a lot more "actual music" being made... I sold it to a friend so I know I'll cringe every time I see it. At least he's a better player than I am... The Stiver is probably enjoying its new owner...

My 71 fender jazz bass. it was a blond. I also had one of the first casio midi guitars made and it still had features my new roland stuff doesn't. it was a very cool guitar and played "like butter" (couldn't resist after reading another thread here hehe)
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

Mandolin Botherer Shelagh Moore's Avatar

An Andy Manson Kingfisher 0-21-style guitar. It was a beauty.

I had a Gibson Hummingbird guitar --late 50's vintage--I think around '57 or so. Sold it in '63 to put together funds for a diamond engagement ring. Well we have been married 50 years now and I still miss that guitar.

Gibson ES-325. I picked it out in a used music store as a teenager, and my parents bought it for me as my first guitar. Sold it for $450 in 1990. Not a particularly great guitar, but now wish I still had it for nostalgia purposes.

Since I never get rid of anything, few regrets. Every instrument I've traded away has been for a better one. I do have a bit of nostalgia for my early '20's F-2, but couldn't have swung the F-5 without trading it. Then I got a three-point F-2 that I like even better.

Some regrets about being a bit of an "instrument hoarder." I make an effort to get each instrument out every few months and use it in some program, or just play it for my own enjoyment, but there are some that probably haven't been played in over a year.

Not to worry, when I'm gone they'll all go back into circulation, and some other musicians will play them and enjoy them. I've taken decent care of them, and they've got many years left -- at least I hope so!
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Hey NMC: how many Studebakers did you sell over the years? Any 1950 Commanders or Avantis?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lazystude.gif 
Views:	71 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	126903
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Not to worry, when I'm gone they'll all go back into circulation, and some other musicians will play them and enjoy them. I've taken decent care of them, and they've got many years left -- at least I hope so!
    That how I feel about Dean #41, it went to a fellow who loved it, and last time I checked with him, he was still playing it daily in his little jam sessions. I just got rid of my ukulele and dulcimer so that someone else can enjoy them, as I wasn't even taking them out of their cases.
    "Doubt begins only at the last frontiers of what is possible." -- Ambrose Bierce

18. The following members say thank you to Rob Zamites for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    ...so that someone else can enjoy them, as I wasn't even taking them out of their cases.
    Bravo! I cringe when I read about instruments being left in their cases. Play them, or move them on to someone who will.

Blog Entries

I am guilty, however, of not playing my 3 course as much as I should, but Dd-aa-dd doesn't seem to really be my thing, and I'm more about playing my soon-to-arrive cittern and waldzither. I might be kicking myself if I sell this one though...

Hey NMC: how many Studebakers did you sell over the years? Any 1950 Commanders or Avantis
    I've sold three. No bulletnoses or Avantis. I made money on all of them...

My first was a '52 4 door Commander (stodgy), then a '49 4 door Champion (slow, but sexy in black), and recently sold my '66 Wagonaire (with the sliding rear roof). The ladies COULD NOT get enough of checking it out, sitting behind the wheel, or going for a quick cruise with the roof open.

Currently searching for the right '57 Silver Hawk... soon?

22. The following members say thank you to NotMelloCello for this post:

80ties Hamer Firebird
    Vox AC 50 Bass Amp (I guess from the 60ties)

I got both pretty cheap and sold them pretty cheap. But I was young needed the money :-(

I've only sold one instrument, an Ibanez musician electric guitar.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1010017.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	130.1 KB 
ID:	126922

Truly a great guitar, but I just wasn't playing it, and I was able to sell it for 3X what I bought it for. I don't regret it as I've never really been an electric guitar player.

As I read thru the posts on this thread, I'm thankful I haven't done too much impulse buying and selling. I do have a starter mandolin and OM that I never play as they have been replaced by better instruments; tried unsuccessfully to sell here on the classifieds. I also never play my Eastman mandocello anymore since I got my new 10 stringer, but I worry I may regret selling her so I probably won't. I have done long-term loans to local friends of mine that I play with that are interested in one of my neglected instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Zamites View Post
    I am guilty, however, of not playing my 3 course as much as I should, but Dd-aa-dd doesn't seem to really be my thing, and I'm more about playing my soon-to-arrive cittern and waldzither. I might be kicking myself if I sell this one though...
    Selling already? U fancy a brand new gdad Apc

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Im done after that.......
    Wanna put money on it???
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

I've sold three. No bulletnoses or Avantis. I made money on all of them...

My first was a '52 4 door Commander (stodgy), then a '49 4 door Champion (slow, but sexy in black), and recently sold my '66 Wagonaire (with the sliding rear roof). The ladies COULD NOT get enough of checking it out, sitting behind the wheel, or going for a quick cruise with the roof open.

Currently searching for the right '57 Silver Hawk... soon?
    I am not much on old cars but if i could afford one Studebakers really appeal to me. Sorry to derail this thread.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Lindsay View Post
    Wanna put money on it???
    Well my girlfriend has said ive been talking about Davy so much its like im having an affair and that when i get thw zouk im done with upgrades. Did you sell you're getting a new cittern from Fylde? Man id love an mandola like your Sobell