Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Instrument you wish you'd never sold/traded away?

Default Re: Instrument you wish you'd never sold/traded away?

Truly a great guitar, but I just wasn't playing it, and I was able to sell it for 3X what I bought it for. I don't regret it as I've never really been an electric guitar player.
    Owned a couple of Ibanez Musicians - GREAT guitars!

If you ever hanker to sell your Eastman... I'm your first call, OK?

Quote Originally Posted by garryireland View Post
    Well my girlfriend has said ive been talking about Davy so much its like im having an affair and that when i get thw zouk im done with upgrades. Did you sell you're getting a new cittern from Fylde? Man id love an mandola like your Sobell
    Yes, I called in with Roger Bucknall in the summer on the way through Cumbria, had a great tour of his workshop which he took time personally to show me around. Fell in love with the Ken Nicol Signature guitar but in the meantime have ordered an archtop cittern with a few personal tweaks, to be ready in about six months. Some day I’ll call in with Stefan Sobell if in that area but these visits to the instrument toy-shop can be quite expensive…
    As regards the original topic, here’s one I’ll miss until I get my Fylde version… my Freshwater cittern, sold a few years back. Very solidly built for the price and a nice tone.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCF4678.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	42.6 KB 
ID:	126959  
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post

I realize that this is prob one of the reasons why I never name any of my instruments. I am not really emotionally attached to any of them -- certainly not in the way I am with my dogs. When my dogs die I already know that I will be heartbroken.
    I wonder if this isn't another difference between mandolin culture and guitar culture. Both cultures have acquisition issues, but I know a lot more guitarists who get very emotionally attached to a particular guitar that has perhaps seen them through some bad times or been there when needed or what ever. Not so much with mandolins.

Maybe its just that guitars are so big you really are hugging them more intimately when playing. I dunno.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am also at the point when I need to make room and solidify my collection. There are certainly some wonderful instruments that I let go but frankly I can't really think of any that I seriously regret selling.

OTOH stay tuned... there may be some coming...
    So, put me on your speed dial. And if I buy one of your instruments you can call and get updates on how the little guy is doing, heck you can have visitation rights.
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Blog Entries

I had a Collings MT that was exceptional, a 2008-9 vintage. Great mandolin...I think I sold it to buy a flatiron? Both are gone but I still miss that MT.
    There are three kinds of people: those of us that are good at math and those that are not.

1) 1909 Martin Bowlback
    2) Rickenbacker guitar
    3) Leo Kottke Taylor

All of them were bad ideas. I've sold/traded a lot more but those are the ones that bring a little tear.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post
    Both cultures have acquisition issues
    Was it Ralph McTell - he of Streets of London fame - that said: “If you know how many guitars you have, you haven’t got enough?"
    "Danger! Do Not Touch!" must be one of the scariest things to read in Braille....

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Lindsay View Post
    Was it Ralph McTell - he of Streets of London fame - that said: “If you know how many guitars you have, you haven’t got enough?"
    Certainly was Ralph. Unfortunately ive had to sell to finance other things. If i had the money id never stop buying

So, put me on your speed dial. And if I buy one of your instruments you can call and get updates on how the little guy is doing, heck you can have visitation rights.
    That I like... The best thing for me is to sell my instruments to friends who will appreciate them. I have gotten some from friends and it feels good to pass them on.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Weaver View Post
    1) 1909 Martin Bowlback
    2) Rickenbacker guitar
    3) Leo Kottke Taylor

All of them were bad ideas. I've sold/traded a lot more but those are the ones that bring a little tear.
    Just curious... if they were all bad ideas than why would they bring a tear -- even a little one?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

11. The following members say thank you to Jim Garber for this post:

Oops I think I worded that wrong Jim. I meant it was a bad idea selling them.
    The Favs
    2013 Jacobson Nautilus #23 Semper Concinentī
    2007 Weber Custom Yellowstone
    2003 Gibson A9
    2013 Godin A8
    2007 Martin 000-18 Norman Blake #62 of 134
    2000 Heritage Millennium H-155

Maybe its just that guitars are so big you really are hugging them more intimately when playing. I dunno.
    The type and quality of interaction we have with an instrument - and music itself - is interesting to view.

I have emotional affinities with musical instruments - certainly much moreso than with any other "inanimate" object--easy to develop an emotional attachment with a wind instrument, IME--tactilely, emotionally...working the bellows on an accordion on your chest is a robust experience too...and harp absorbs you. But after ww, high above the rest is the double bass: nothing like the sheer corporeality, feeling of this instrument--the strings in the hands--vibrations going through the body..

There is, in my experience--something to the sheer mass and volume of an instrument...piano and harp, these attributes, furniture--the ergonomics of living with them, sharing space, transporting them, etc...the bass strings on these is huge (if you have a big harp).

I did, one night about 20 years ago, slide out of bed to my knees in a sleep, and awoke caressing my double bass on the floor next to my bed--thinking it was my girlfriend (who was not with me)-

Last edited by catmandu2; Nov-29-2014 at 12:58am.

Sure wish that video had subtitles... LOL!

bratsche
    "There are two refuges from the miseries of life: music and cats." - Albert Schweitzer

GearGems - Gifts & apparel for musicians and more!
    MandolaViola's YouTube Channel

15. The following members say thank you to bratsche for this post: