Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: mandola choices

Blog Entries

Default Re: mandola choices

You are right it certainly made me give serious reconsideration to at any rate, what kind of mandolas I will purchase. Here in SA I looked into mandolas, though I guess if there are limited mandolins, what on earth did I expect? Well I am considering the Girouard, however am tempted by some dolas in classified and also the Jbovier. Though for now I think I am going to hang back for the Girouard, though I am going to have an A-style. Ice blue? do you mean it is actually blue? Surely I am misunderstanding?

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016

I started this thread to help gather mandola info from other players. The Cafe excels at this task. Yesterday I finally pulled the plug on an instrument. It's a Bill Bussman 4 string with a pickup. Actually, it's a mandola with a notable provenance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	81675.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	106.5 KB 
ID:	127672

I had set out searching for an 8 string, f-hole because, these days, I mostly perform traditional tunes with a fiddle and two rhythm players. It didn't help that the current owner also made the request that I play it awhile before altering to an 8 string. He promised me it was a special instrument, and because it could be played with or without amplification, it could be used effectively in just about any kind of music.

The seller lives just a few hours away from me, and I always prefer to play an instrument before making a major purchase. Actually, my most-sober plan had been to go try it out, get it out of my system, and then come back home and buy the Collings F hole mandola from another guy on the Cafe who has been emailing back and forth with me over the past month.

I couldn't resist it. With a capo, it's quick to play it either as CGAE or DAEB. And after a few hours with it, I have no immediate intention to alter it to an 8 string, although this alteration would be very easy.
    Explore some of my published music here.

—Jim

Sierra F5 #30 (2005)
    Altman 2-point (2007)
    Portuguese fado cittern (1965)

Blog Entries

Congratulations Jim! Hope you will enjoy that mandola - I can't wait to have mine.
    Though it's a few months away!

Playing:
    Jbovier a5 2013;
    Crafter M70E acoustic mandolin
    Jbovier F5 mandola 2016