Thread: Looking for purchasing a mandocello

Ryan McMahon, SoCal CA

Default Looking for purchasing a mandocello

Hey there cafe!

It has been a while for me on here, but I was thinking about financing the Weber Gallatin F style mandocello from the mandolin store. I was just wondering if anyone had anything to tell me about it or just help me in any way! It seems like a wonderful beginner mandocello, and Weber has a great reputation. Also this will be my first financing purchase so if you have any advice on that, all is welcome. Thanks so much!

Weber page :http://webermandolins.com/instrument...tin-mandocello

The Mandolin Store :http://www.themandolinstore.com/scri...idproduct=9691

Default Re: Looking for purchasing a mandocello

Good luck, the Webers were little out of my range when, I bought my Mc. Would love one. Hope you enjoy your purchase. Mc' s are not for everyone or thing, but an awesome instrument. Hope you have as much musical enjoyment, as I do with mine. Welcome.

I've never played a Weber 'cello, but I'm sure it would be high quality like everything they build. That is a great price on one, too. I can say I'm very happy with my recently bought CricketFiddle 10 string mandocello which I got for about $1500 less than the cost of that particular Weber. I've also had an Eastman Guitar bodied mandocello for the past five years which I've really enjoyed. For well under $ 2k this is truly the best option for an entry level mandocello IMHO.

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

On my fourth or fifth year with my Weber vintage oval, and there's not a day I don't open up the case and absolutely love everything about it. No, not cheap, but still thrilled with my purchase.

I have a Gallatin F mandocello as well. I love it. Sad to see (for you) the price has jumped $1000 since I bought mine. I got it from the same store about a year ago.
    J Wynia - Minneapolis, MN
    Mostly Irish traditional tunes

Weber Gallatin A Oval Wide Nut
    Eastman MD514
    Kentucky KM-174 stays in my office for taking a break
    Weber Gallatin F Mandocello
    Blueridge BR-70T Tenor Guitar

Quote Originally Posted by McMahon View Post
    It seems like a wonderful beginner mandocello, and Weber has a great reputation.
    I wouldn't call it a "beginner" mandocello, and Weber deserves their great reputation. I've had my Gallatin F for nearly six years, and I've played probably a dozen other 'cellos --- more and less expensive ones --- along the way. The only one I could get a better sound out of was Mike Marshall's Monteleone. So, for me, the Gallatin is a lifer.
    still trying to turn dreams into memories

Blog Entries

Of course if you have a wood shop and the willingness to adventure -- you can always get into the mandocello game by rolling your own to speak.

This is a keeper mandocello made from a 1942 Gibson L-50 guitar -- now called a K-50. It sounds very good and I would really like to have someone like Mike Marshall play it and get his assessment or recommendations for improvement.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K-50 collage.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	90.1 KB 
ID:	126979  
    Bernie
    ____
    Due to current budgetary restrictions the light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off -- sorry about the inconvenience.