Thread: Can Someone TAB this Song for Me??

Default Can Someone TAB this Song for Me??

Hey all,

I have a Monroe song that I really want to learn. I want to play it and sing it, like he does. Naturally I ain't no Bill Monroe...

Anyway, the song I REALLY want to learn is Wayfaring Stranger, the version in this video from YouTube....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LI92oDdXazg

It doesn't look that hard to play. I wish it was easy to figure out how to play so I wouldn't have to ask for help with it. I wish I could tab it out, but I can't. I've been trying for over a week and nothing good has came of it, believe me. So many wishes....

I can get the words somewhere else so you don't have to mess what that part.

I would be willing to pay you for your time doing it too, if you would like. I know this is asking a lot, but I hope someone out there can do this for me and enable me to start learning to play it.

Thank you all again for your continued help and advice. I really appreciate it.

Nalajr

Default Re: Can Someone TAB this Song for Me??

Have fun learning.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wayf...r+mandolin+tab

And, in case you go to the link for Mandozine you'll need the free version of this...

http://www.tabledit.com/tefview/
    Last edited by biologyprof; Nov-23-2014 at 8:35am.
    "I yam what I yam"

I don't think any of those are going to be the version that is in that video. None of the ones I have looked at and listened to so far are even close to it.

Thanks anyway.

Nalajr

This song has 2 parts, the A part and the B part. He picks the A part, does not pick the B part. He plays the A part an octave higher after he sings the first verse, chorus. This version is in A minor. At the onset, the melody he picks relies on the A note (fret 2 on G string), the E note (fret 2 on the D string) and the D note (open D string). The higher melody is mostly the same notes (octave higher), with some double-stops and bleeding open strings.

The rest is up to you...

5. The following members say thank you to AlanN for this post:

hank 

Best way to learn is to sit down and figure it out. The more you do it the faster and better you get at it.

I possibly could get close in the first part where he starts with the slide to the 2nd fret on the G string and plucks it 5 or 6 times and then does a few other moves that I haven't got clear yet.

The 2nd part, no clue. I don't know about whether it's an A minor or what, I am not that knowledgeable to be able to tell that. If I can't tab out the first part, or am having trouble like I am, there would be very little chance of me getting the 2nd part correct.

GOD I would LOVE to have the talent and ear that you guys and gals are blessed with where I could watch that video and listen to what he does and after a couple trips through it be able to sit down and bust it out, but I can't. I'll never be able to do that or get to that part. I don't have those gifts. Our LORD, in his infinite wisdom, didn't see fit to give me that talent and ability.

I think I should just forget about this one and move on to something else that I can download a tab for.

Thank you all for your advice, but I'm gonna have to raise the white flag on this one. I've watched it and listened to it probably 100 to 150 times in the last week and I'm no closer to playing it now than I was when I first saw that song on YouTube and thought it would be awesome to learn to play and sing.

I appreciate your encouragement to try.

Have a GREAT Thanksgiving everyone.

MODS....please go ahead and close this thread.

Nalajr

You clearly have the desire to learn this number, and how to play in general. You need some basic training. See the home page of this site, Mike Marshall is offering up some free stuff as a way to introduce his Artist Works program. When you sign up for the free lesson, there's a drop-down picklist to state where you are at with your skill level. Pick the one that applies to you, get the freebie and then contact Mike for lessons, I think he does Skype. He can help...

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

Yeah .... you gotta walk before you can run. Take your time and learn good technique while you develop your ear. A good teacher can speed this process up. It's not so much talent as a want to learn and an unwillingness to give up..... Luck ..R/
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Like I said it takes time. I started in the sixties with lps so I know your pain but keep at it and you will be rewarded.

Lost my boots in transit terzinator's Avatar

I know you said to close the thread, but might I recommend an app called The Amazing Slowdowner? Mac/PC/iOS/Android...

If you've never tried it, it's pretty great. Slow down the track as much as you want without changing the pitch. It's how I figure out pretty much everything I want to figure out.

Good luck!

Nala, I remember many years back watching a Sam Bush training video about playing this song. Seems like there was something about Bills mandolin, a defect that caused an outside string to hang on a fret in a way that it caused the other worldly sound of part of this song. I'll have to see if I can locate it again and see if this is the part that seems out of reach to you. It is a cool song and worth our energy to make it easier for students to study. I'm playing around now with another song that has an alternate tuning "Get Up John" by Ricky Skaggs so your thread is of interest to me. I got to admit it's a fitting title because the song is like an alarm siren, not one to practice around the rest of the family, Ha,Ha!
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

FYI, Get Up John. Composer is Bill Monroe.

Sorry, my tablEdit by John Strong gives Ricky Skaggs, I guess it just meant it was Ricky's version of the song. While On this do you tune your G strings, outside string up to A inside dw to F# or the opposite, outside to F#, inside to A?
    Last edited by hank; Nov-25-2014 at 2:39pm. Reason: Typo
    "A sudden clash of thunder, the mind doors burst open, and lo, there sits old man Buddha-nature in all his homeliness."
    CHAO-PIEN

Thanks Alan for getting me looking in the right direction on Get Up John and back to some really good stuff I had forgotten about. I found it and Last Days on Earth on The Smithsonian/Folkways Recordings and Homespun Video's "The Mandolin Of Bill Monroe" DVD TWO A Detailed Analysis taught by Sam Bush. Wow, this is great stuff. I can't believe it's taken me this long to look at this! Anyway the tuning methods straight from the Father of BlueGrass are D for Get up John and Dm for Last Days on Earth.

D tuning as on Get Up John
    Outside G string dw to F#
    Inside G string up to A
    Both D string sets remain in D standard tuning
    Both A strings remain in A standard tuning
    Inside E string dw to A
    Outside E string dw to D

Dm tuning as on Last Days on Earth
    Raise both D strings up to A
    Both D string remain in standard tuning D
    Upper A string remains in standard tuning A
    Lower A string up to C
    Inside E string dw to D
    Outside E string up to F
    Sam mentions if your string gauges are light you may break one on that last one.
    The Chapter on the break down of "Last days on Earth" is 26(30).
    Bill Performs the song with a close up of his hands and mandolin as the last song on the video.

I haven't had a chance to check out DVD ONE with one on one with the Master himself hosted by John Hartford with special guest The Bluegrass Boys. This stuff is gonna keep me entertained for a long time. Thanks again Alan, not being a Grasser I'm always amazed at the magnitude of Bill Monroe's Legacy. Nalapombu you should be able to download these DVD's to your computer from Scott's On Demand library which I believe has been having a sale. Good luck, take your time and enjoy the ride. Music isn't a contest, leave that to the masses that are obsessed by some sort of ball.
    Last edited by hank; Nov-26-2014 at 12:33pm. Reason: Typo/editing
    CHAO-PIEN

Nalajr: Have checked out the Song of the Week group here at the 'café? There are still 8 videos of 'café members playing this song. That should be enough help to learn this song.