Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Left hand fingertips keep "cracking"

Default Help! Left hand fingertips keep "cracking"

Hi all,
    Any advice is appreciated - my left hand fingertips keep, well, for lack of a better word, sort of "cracking." I get little cuts in the areas near the end of the fingernail, then it sort of spreads to the tips or pads of my fingers. I use the Purell type of hand cleaners a lot, so I always follow that up with a good hand lotion (usually medicated). I've tried using bandaids over the hand lotion, and bandaids without lotion. I've tried New Skin and Super Glue. Nothing helps. About the time my little "cuts" and cracks seem to go away they then reappear. I've played very little mandolin for the past month and I hate that! I've tried playing with a bandaid on my middle finger but you can imagine - that doesn't work.
    I'm really frustrated. Any advice would be helpful. I know I should go to a dermatologist?
    I live in San Diego so it doesn't really get cold here.

Oddly enough my right hand has no issues. (And yes I am right handed.)
    I'm on some weird medications for a heart condition and I wonder if that is a factor? Meanwhile I just look at my mandolin in its case....
    Thanks,
    Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

Blog Entries

Default Re: Help! Left hand fingertips keep "cracking"

This is a common problem for musicians. First advice is to wash your hands as little as possible, given whatever your sanitary needs are (e.g. health care work, etc.). Use vinyl gloves to avoid the need for washing. All washing removes oils that do not really get replaced by lotions. Purell is alcohol-based and probably strips oils as much as water and detergent.

Urea-containing creams soften callus tissue and can help, but closing the crack with Super Glue or NuSkin is necessary pretty often. If you can apply a little drop on the right spot and keep it closed it can heal.
    Bandcamp -- https://tomwright1.bandcamp.com/
    Videos--YouTube
    Sound Clips--SoundCloud
    The viola is proof that man is not rational

Jill - I literally feel your pain. I often experience the same issue, especially in the winter, when it's dry here. I work in an environment where I use hand sanitizer and wash my hands a lot, and with two kids under age three, I wash them a lot at home. I've tried everything from Tiger Balm, Bag Balm, every lotion, even Corona, which is meant for horses or livestock. Nothing worked. All I do now is use Neosporin to help them heal more quickly. Those little suckers hurt, worse than a paper cut by far. The triple antibiotic, sometimes covered with a bandaid, seems to make them last less long, and hurt less. Frank.
    FJ Russell

Es mejor morir de pie que vivir de rodillas. E. Zapata

I don't have that problem, but in winter, when conditions are dry (low humidity), the area around my fingernails is a problem; cracks, tears, that sort of thing. I've tried various lotions, bag balm worked better than anything else, but it's a little messy and smelly. Then I read about using Chapstick on fingers. I tried it and it works! I don't know if it will help your fingertips, but it might be worth a try to find out.

5. The following members say thank you to sunburst for this post:

hank 

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yup. Chapstick here, too.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

7. The following members say thank you to Ted Eschliman for this post:

hank 

Try the mini-bar from Climb-on. It's made for the calluses and cracking experienced by rock climbers, and works great on mandolin fingertips. I apply it several times a day, especially after hand washing.

9. The following members say thank you to Tobin for this post:

hank 

I've heard good things about Badger Balm as well. My daughter is using it to counteract the effects of winter dry skin.
    Pete Braccio

"The Rules: Play nice and don't run with scissors"
    http://www.braccio.me
    Check out my web site for:
    Jack Tottle music files
    BBC Virtual Session files
    O'Neill's PDFs
    ITM Tunebooks, and more

formerly Philphool Phil Goodson's Avatar

Bee-Bar is a similar product that works well when used daily. I used when when fly fishing a lot, with good results. And now I use it regularly in winter. Helps prevent those split cuticles too. Lots like chapstick (which I use on lips every day.)
    Phil

“Sharps/Flats” “Accidentals”

Chapstick is what I've used for years and it works well. Smear the Chapstick into the fissures and across the cracks before heading to bed and they improve by morning. Do it regularly and those cracks don't show up as often.
    Make America Grateful Again!

2013 Collings MF, 2017 Northfield NF2S, 2019 Northfield Big Mon F
    1968 Martin D12-20, 2008 Martin HD28, 2022 Martin CEO 7
    1978 Ibanez Artist "Flying Eagle" Masterclone Banjo

A friend advised trying "Desitin", yep the cream used for the baby's diaper rash. It will give amazing results overnight, LITERALLY, and then for reducing the occurance, using "cold pressed coconut oil" is very beneficial for me. I have read many good things above but this is what worked for me, as these get worse for you, you will try anything, I hope this or something you find will work for you!!!
    "It ain't knowin' so little that causes nearly so much trouble as knowin' so damned much that just ain't so".

14. The following members say thank you to pickit007 for this post:

hank 

Yes, I had a lot of success with that Climb On stuff. I don't know what's in it.

Wow, thank you all so much. I have Chapstick so I applied that right away (my hands now smell like strawberry LOL). They already feel better. Will get the Bee-Bar, Climb On stuff, Desitin, and cold pressed coconut oil too. Yes, I'm eager to try it all.

So with any of these products, including the Neosporin, should I apply then cover with a Band-aid, or is it better to just let the healing begin without covering my fingers?

I can't thank you all enough for the advice. I waited for weeks for my fingers to heal and just when I thought I was out of the woods they cracked and split again. I was beginning to think I was not going to play the mandolin for months - at least now I have hope!
    Jill
    Very Grateful in San Diego
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

but that's just me Bertram Henze's Avatar

All this sounds like the first generation of callus to me - thick and easily cracked open. This is the skin's first line of defense. After playing for a few years, the second generation of callus will develop: smooth surface, looking like normal skin but much harder, much more tough. I never had such problems with those. Keep on playing, it's coming your way.
    the world is better off without bad ideas, good ideas are better off without the world

I've always heard that after you apply the heavy-duty moisturizers at night, to wear plain white cotton gloves, if you can stand warm hands. Maybe just the fingers would be sufficient? Another good skin product is Aquaphor. I first got it from my dermatologist because he said it's the only thing that increases the speed of healing after skin cancers are removed. I use it for a lot of things now.
    "The Truth Shall Make Ye Fret" -- (Terry Pratchett, The Truth) R.I.P. and say "ook" to the Librarian for me.

19. The following members say thank you to Ellen T for this post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Hey Jill!

LMK how the climb on stuff works...just super-glued a cut on my left index fingertip tonight, and all's well, but would like to check out another more preventative remedy...didn't know it was so common...thanks for the thread...will see ya soon hopefully!
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Blog Entries

Not being one for creams and loitions'n'potions I just rub the fingertips along the outside of the nose, under the ear or on the centre of the brow. As long as you've not been getting rid of all the natural oils there too there should be plenty to work into your fingertips. The added bonus is you know what's in it's not going to cause any reactions or knock-on issues. Once you've got them healed up you may want to try similar to keep things stable, It's free too.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

22. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

hank 

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

If the meds for your heart condition include a diuretic like Lasix, that could be drying you out.
    Keep the callouses in the corners of your nail filed down with an emery board, then use any of the softening suggestions people have given. Callous free skin is less likely to crack. You can leave the callouses on the tips of your fingers-- just file the area near the corner of your nails.
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I sand mine down often, especially around the edges, so they don't get too thick and unruly. When you bathe/shower use a moisturizing soap instead of deodorant soap. Soft callouses are much better than hard dry one.

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    Yes, I had a lot of success with that Climb On stuff. I don't know what's in it.
    The ingredients are on the bottom of the container. They are: unrefined yellow beeswax, apricot kernel oil, grapeseed oil, virgin wheat germ oil, essential oils of citrus lemon, vitamin E, and lavendula.

www.skinourishment.com

I think it is just a matter of time and the build up of good callouses. Initially when I started mando I had the same problem for about a year, if I recall. But eventually I developed solid callouses and have had little or no problems since then. But I think it is partly because I play every day so my callouses remain in good condition I am not sure that would be the case if my playing was sporadic.

I also get cracks on my fingers in cold weather. Try using lanolin- the smallest amount possible directly on the crack. Smells like sheep, but works great.

Thanks again everyone.
    So Saturday night I tried the Chapstick, knowing I was going to play the following morning (we provide a worship service at a nursing home every Sunday). And, eureka! My fingers were almost totally healed! At least healed enough to play for 30 minutes. I can't wait to get back to practicing and playing. Finally! Chapstick - who knew? (Well, you guys knew!)

I'm intending to get the Climb On stuff to have available, as well as Desitin and all the other recommendations.
    Thank you all so much. I'm only sorry I didn't ask sooner ;-)

Jill
    Jill G
    Weber Bridger F
    Weber Aspen 2

The best in the bee family. It is good enough for ceramics workers who work with clay all day!
    http://www.bbhoneyfarms.com/store/p-...d-cream-lotion

I would use Carmex, a brand of lip balm that seems to really accelerate healing. Apply liberally, and cover with rubber gloves for a few hours at a time. I'd also eat jello a few times a week, as a preventive measure. It is good for nails, hair and skin, in my experience. How encouraging that your fingers are improving already. Good luck, Jill.

i use a medicated eczema soap made by some gypsy lady I met in Salida, CO and its the greatest thing in the world. My hands crack in between fingers and no lotion helps but this soap works wonders. I have tried to find it online and cant and I really worry about the day my bar runs out. Need to last until FIBark Fest 2015 where I found her last time.
    Arsenal:
    Turkey Creek #63 | Gibson F-5 MSC | Martin D-18 GE | Eastman E20D-tc