Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Free book of tunes for winter

Default Re: Free book of tunes for winter

"Dives and Lazarus" is No. 56 in the Child Ballads (Vol. II, p. 10). Unfortunately, the musical notation is not given. However, Child refers to two sources, Sylvester and Husk. I found Husk’s Songs of the Nativity online at the Cornell University Library (https://archive.org/details/cu31924073426169) and Sylvester’s Christmas Carols in Google Books under the title A Garland of Christmas Carols (http://books.google.com/books?id=kXM...page&q&f=false). In both cases, only the lyrics are given. I guess the tune was familiar and therefore not given.

Then I came upon this great website, which helps a lot: http://www.hymnsandcarolsofchristmas...nd_lazarus.htm. “Lazarus” is in Broadwood (pp. 102-103) and in Bramley and Stainer, Christmas Carols New and Old, Second Series (London: Novello, Ewer & Co., ca. 1871), Carol #39. The version in Broadmoor is much like “Kingsfold.” The one in Bramley and Stainer is another tune, and there is yet a third tune in Terry, Two Hundred Folk Carols (London: Burns Oates & Washbourne Limited, 1933), #33, pp. 58-59. I have attached Broadwood. All of them can be seen on the above website.

Thanks for bringing up the topic, mrmando. I always enjoy exploring these historical sources.

Evelyn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Dives and Lazarus Broadwood and Maitland English country songs.pdf  
    Harper (My other mandolin is a harp)

I found several small errors in the book and have corrected them. I also changed “Duck Us All in Bowls of Barley,” I hope for the better. The revised version is attached. I will try to delete the old version.

Here are the changes:

1. I put a D.C. al Fine and a Fine in “Apples of Winter.” This was not in the source notation, but it sounded like it needed it. Also “Apples in Winter,” should have had the harmony for mandolin, but I accidently used mandola harmony (transposed to D Major). The new version has the harmony line in G Major for mandolin.
    2. In “Bottom of the Punch Bowl,” I corrected the pick-up notes in the first ending of the B part, melody line, measure 17.
    3. “Canticle” is now described as an air from the British Isles, rather than from Ireland.
    4. I changed measures 10-16 of “Duck Us All in Bowls of Barley.” I think this sounds better than the original parts I had.
    5. In “Female Saylor” I deleted one note from the descant part, measure 17.
    6. The key signature label in the left corner of the page was wrong for 3 tunes, and they are now corrected: "Ding Dong Merrily on High," "Frost and Snow," and "Waltz for the New Year."

Regards,
    Evelyn
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Winter's tale revised 120814.pdf  

3. The following members say thank you to harper for this post:

Evelyn, thank you for putting this collection together. I printed off two copies and took them to our local session last night. Those of us who were reading the music were delighted, while the "ear" players seemed to have a bit less fun - probably because they had more contemporary versions of the tunes in their heads. Personally, I really enjoyed the sense of playing tunes that were familiar, yet different. I suspect a few of the less obviously Christmas tunes will end up in the regular repertoire year round. I'm looking forward to reading these more carefully with a group of all readers with music in front of them so we can sample the harmony lines more carefully.

Again, thanks for sharing your talents in gathering, researching and arranging these tunes. I envy your talent and raise a cup of Christmas cheer in your honor!
    Last edited by Connor; Dec-10-2014 at 8:37pm.
    Connor

Check out my new double-neck Mandolin:
    http://lee588.wix.com/mandoventure#!problem/mainPage

Conner, I've very glad your group is enjoying the tunes. My practice group just met tonight and we played through many. We especially like Canticle and Captain O'Kane, neither of which is a Christamas tune. I really like playing the hornpipes, Apples in Winter and Frost and Snow. I think these are fairly uncommon. At least I have not heard them played before.

Shortly I shall post a Hanukkah tune on a new thread, Sevivon.

Merry Christmas!

Evelyn

Blog Entries

Evelyn, thanks for these.
    I really enjoyed playing through them yesterday. They're really interesting choices and much better than just banging out the same ol same old.
    I played them in as many different styles as I could too which works really well for repeats.

(Also as an aside , my young harpist friend has chosen to do youe arrangement of "Tango de las Rosas" in a competition we're doing in March as a contrasting piece to Michel Corrette - Sonate in D Maj. So thanks again for that too)
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Thanks very much for all your great work.
    God Bless and Merry Christmas.
    John