Thread: NMD: Gibson A5L

Smile NMD: Gibson A5L

I had a new addition to the family this week. I bought a 1993 Gibson A5L from Greg Boyd's House of Fine Instruments in Montana. They took good care of me and had great service. It arrived at my house on Thursday morning. It's in great shape for being 21 years old. It has a couple of spots where the finish has checked, either from drying out or temperature fluctuations, but overall, it's beautiful. It has a wonderful dry, woody, and hollow tone. I love it! I'll be using this mandolin as my "multitasker" and reserve my oval holed Weber Bitterroot for classical and celtic.

I love the history behind the A5L in that it's based off the Ms. Griffith Loar, the only Loar signed A5. It's neat that basically all of the A5s that followed have DNA from that instrument. It's a shame Gibson doesn't make them anymore. I understand that there just isn't a high demand, but that doesn't change the fact that they're wonderful instruments. I'm so happy with mine, and I've only had it two days.
    Last edited by Whittle; Nov-22-2014 at 4:11pm.

Default Re: NMD: Gibson A5L

That's a beauty. I was eyeballing that 95 A5L that hit the classified today. But can't acquire a new instrument right at this current moment. Its crazy that these sell to 1/2 to 1/3 of a price of the F style ferns. People are paying a lot of money for the scroll.

Beautiful mandolin, the photo makes a nice desktop background.

I would love to have a Gibson A5L.. Currently trying to save up for a Kenntucky KM900.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I had a '93 Steve Carlson signed that was my main Mandolin for years, loved it. Great feeling neck, probably the best neck I've owned for my hand size and I regret trading it off. If it's my old one you got a great mandolin but the few others I've played have been as good too, enjoy.

Great looking mandolin. Congrats.
    "Mongo only pawn in game of life." --- Mongo

Darn it Whittle,
    I was going to be at Greg's on Tuesday and I wanted to try that one out.

Oh Well, A day late and $2,000.00 short.

Thanks everyone! It really is a treat to play. I've had a very hard time putting it down. Mark, mine was signed by Phil Brug, but they might be from the same batch if they're the same year. I totally agree with you on the comfort of the neck. It's the most comfortable mandolin I've ever held, bar none. I have small hands so the meatier shoulders and radiused fingerboard of my Bitterroot cause occasional cramps after playing for a couple of hours. I haven't had a single problem with the A5L. Very, very comfortable to hold; and so easy to play. Greg Boyd does a good setup.

Also, Sorry George! They had it on layaway for me for the past few weeks so I could space out the payments. I was originally going to have it shipped the first week of December, but I decided I couldn't wait any longer.

I love the look of the A5L.

I keep seeing 'NMD', but can't work it out. New ManDolin, maybe?

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ron McMillan View Post
    I keep seeing 'NMD', but can't work it out. New ManDolin, maybe?
    New Mandolin Day!
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

11. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Blog Entries

In about six months it will stand for "ooh thats nice - I Need More Dough".

Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA has a '95 A5-L. Info and pics at their website. NFI.
    John A. Karsemeyer

Awesome! I'd really love to have one myself. I've grown to really like a5s and I don't think I'll buy another f5. Too much value lost on that scroll

You actually have one of the older ones with the accurate, loar a5 body shape. I personally like that shape much better than the newer "modern shape"
    "When you learn an old time fiddle tune, you make a friend for life"

15. The following members say thank you to LongBlackVeil for this post:

Whittle-

Looks like a sweet mandolin. May you enjoy many years together!

George- If you do get to Greg Boyd's on Tuesday I hope you will check out the two Tolley A5s I saw on their site. The sound clips on these (especially the later model ) sounded really nice to me. I ended up going with a Pava from TMS with absolutely no regrets, but Tolleys work looks to be worth checking out.

Scott

17. The following members say thank you to Grommet for this post:

Scott,
    They are on my list. I love it when I go to Missoula as I always stop in to say Hi top Greg and Chad. I am especially happy this tine as it is my 8 week check-up on my knee replacement.

I prefer the older, loar A5 shape with the slimmer neck block as well. That's one of the reasons I looked for an older A5L. I'm planning on holding onto this one for a long, long time.

It looks like the Music Emporium has a 1994 A5L in stock if anyone is looking for one.
    http://www.themusicemporium.com/prod...-a5l-1994.html

20. The following members say thank you to Whittle for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Whittle View Post
    I prefer the older, loar A5 shape with the slimmer neck block as well. That's one of the reasons I looked for an older A5L. I'm planning on holding onto this one for a long, long time.

It looks like the Music Emporium has a 1994 A5L in stock if anyone is looking for one.
    http://www.themusicemporium.com/prod...-a5l-1994.html
    What years are considered the Loar A5 shape?

Here's a thread that talks about that a little. http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/sh...y-Shape-Change

In the early to mid 90s the neck block was shaped like the original loar signed A5 (shown below). At some point, perhaps after the move to Nashville from Montana, they changed the neck block to use a dovetail joint instead of a mortise and tenon joint. In all honesty, it's not a huge change. I just happen to find the earlier shape more pleasing.

Here's the original signed A5:

And here's the later shape the A5L took:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5 loar.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	65.9 KB 
ID:	126831  

Thanks for that info. That is interesting. Looks like if I ever were to go with an A5l it woul be an older one also.