Thread: Eastman tuners, extremely hard to turn!

Default Eastman tuners, extremely hard to turn!

Hey all, ive been reading up on different reasons why tuners may be hard to turn. Ive done some careful lubricating, applied graphite to the nut and bridge, etc. Two of my tuners are extremely tight. My mandolin is an Eastman MD515. It has Schaller tuners. When i press on the tuning peg in the direction of the headstock, it seems to get slightly easier to turn the tuner. From what i've read, the problem could be a misaligned peg. Am i right to assume this? And should i return it to Eastman to get it fixed? Thanks for any and all input!

-Sergiu

Default Re: Eastman tuners, extremely hard to turn!

I would say yes and yes.

1. Figure out where the resistance is. That may take disassembly.
    2. If it's too much pressure on a bearing surface, bend, machine, shape or whatever to get the resistance right.
    3. Sometimes it's just polish needed.
    4. Sometimes it's bushing misalignment.

Just have to go through to find the problem. I've also run valve grinding compound in Schallers and then flushed. I am not recommending. I just have done it!
    Stephen Perry

Is it a new mandolin that warranty should cover? If not I would find a local repair person to have it fixed faster.

I've now got 3 Eastmans and all the tuners work perfectly, sounds like you got duff one, send it back.

Dave H
    Eastman 615 mandola
    2011 Weber Bitteroot A5
    2012 Weber Bitteroot F5
    Eastman MD 915V
    Gibson F9
    2016 Capek ' Bob ' standard scale tenor banjo
    Ibanez Artist 5 string
    2001 Paul Shippey oval hole

I'd loosen up the strings on the tight tuners and check the gear set screws. Maybe they are too tight. I had a set of schaller's where the screws were too loose and the mandolin would not stay in tune. I relieved the tension on the offending tuners and tightened up the screw. Solved the issue.
    Kenny B. Playing on a Stelling S-5Q #144
    Lakota Leathers strap
    Blue Chip CT55 pick & SR-50
    D'Addario J75 Strings
    Virtuoso Premium Polish / Yes I clean & polish my mandolin

The hole spacing mismatch can be more responsible than the tuners force-fitted in the headstock.

I have multiple Schaller tuner fitted Mandolins..

Bought a 3rd hand Mix, someone force fit Waverly tuners in .

damaged the tuners , [they were repaired /replaced at Stew Mac, The sold]

downgraded to more tolerant Stew Mac 'Elite' Tuners , and The mandolin worked better.

still use them to this day ..
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I find the tuners on my Eastman MD515 to be stiff. I wouldn't say "stuck" or "broken," but I think they are too tight. I am going to explore gear set screws that Kowboy mentions. I think it's easy enough to adjust them.

I don't know if that's your problem, especially since it's only 2 of them, but perhaps they are tighter than the others for some reason.

-Andrew

Mandolin & Mandola maker

I have been using Schallers for 20 years, so know them pretty well by now. Most likely the holes in the headstock have not been drilled accurately. The way to work out what is wrong is to take the tuners off and then see how easily they turn. If they turn easy then the headstock holes are the problem. If they are tight, then the tuners are faulty. Occasionally I do get a faulty set, although it is fairly rare. I have solved that problem by swapping the gears from another set. The first thing I would do is to look at the headstock from the side. All tuning posts should be vertical and equally spaced. If one or more is not quite vertical then that is the problem - the holes have not been drilled properly. Also, examine the bushings. If any are not flush to the surface of the headstock then that also can be causing a problem. The bushings should fit snug enough so they don't tip foreward from the string pressure, and it is not easy to get a fit tight, but not so tight that they are difficult to remove. Schallers are very sensitive to bad fitting. If anything is out of line then they won't work very well. When you remove the tuners, they should slip easily back in, without any bending or pushing. Note also that Schallers can be a bit stiff when brand new and newly installed. They do loosen up with usage, and after about 2 years should work nice and smooth. However, if they are so stiff that it becomes difficult to tune the mandolin then there is something wrong that needs to be fixed, and changing the tuners probably won't fix the problem.

From your description that pressure on the string post in the direction of the headstock makes it easier to turn I would say that the problem is almost certainly the headstock holes are mis-aligned. That can be permanently fixed by enlarging the offending holes with a reamer and gluing wood veneer on one side of the hole so as to move the string post to the vertical position so that everything aligns properly. It will then tune smoothly when strung up. A bit of lube every time they dry out and they should last for many years. My oldest mandolins still have the original Schallers working fine.
    Peter Coombe - mandolins, mandolas and guitars
    http://www.petercoombe.com

Mediocre but OK with that Paul Busman's Avatar

Even though you might be able to correct this, as long as the instrument is still on warranty I'd say return it and let them fix or replace it. You paid enough to expect the tuners to work!
    For wooden musical fun that doesn't involve strumming, check out:
    www.busmanwhistles.com
    Handcrafted pennywhistles in exotic hardwoods.

I have found over the years with open gear type tuners that as they begin to feel tight, and slight turn in the opposite direction will often reset the gear, and it will be easier. Binding in the gear itself is quite often the issue
    http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/My_Stringies.JPG
    Mandolins- Early 1900's A, Kentucky KM-350, GuitarWorks-A style, Fender MandoStrat 8gone, Alvarez A-800(gone)
    Banjo - 1980 Alvarez Silver Bell (tweaked to peak)
    Guitars- 1976 Martin D-28,1992 Taylor 420, RainSong H DR 1000, Gretsch Anniversary Model. (I'm the original owner of all the Guitars listed)
    Bible - NASV

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Busman View Post
    Even though you might be able to correct this, as long as the instrument is still on warranty I'd say return it and let them fix or replace it. You paid enough to expect the tuners to work!
    If you have a 515 that sounds great (to you), don't send it in and risk to have it replaced by another instrument.
    Sound characteristics among several instruments of the same model are not too consistent here.
    I had a (to me) great sounding 515 with hard-to-turn tuners, took them off, lubed them well: they still wouldn't turn easily.Finally replaced them with Grovers.
    I'm happy now
    :-)

On the Eastmans below the 800 series they use a cheaper Schaller model than is commonly available. My fix on my 604 was to simply replace them with Grover 309s. Problem solved.

I have drilled holes to install mandolin tuners ONCE and I found out that if the holes are not well aligned with the pegs (in a single row), then one of these tuning pegs will be hard to turn after installation. The huge friction of the shaft to the wall of the hole causes this issue. The simply fix is to identify the mis-aligned hole then widen it a bit (using a round file) to allow the shaft to go in / out smoothly. The tuning hardware is not the root cause in this case.