Thread: Where's Danny Roberts' Loar?

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Default Where's Danny Roberts' Loar?

His new video shows him almost exclusively on his Gil, save for the opening scene (which isn't his Loar).

Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

2. The following members say thank you to Andrew B. Carlson for this post:

Kowboy 

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Default Re: Where's Danny Roberts' Loar?

I heard a rumor (and I emphasize rumor) that he sold it...
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

wow , that speaks volumes
    that Gil has a certain 'sweetness' to it that is unique.

Dealt with him a couple of times while he was at Gibson and he is a really nice and helpful person.

5. The following members say thank you to stevedenver for this post:

hank 

Thanks for the video. A good insight into Danny Roberts. Sounds like a very interesting fellow. A lot more to him than I knew.
    Kenny B. Playing on a Stelling S-5Q #144
    Lakota Leathers strap
    Blue Chip CT55 pick & SR-50
    D'Addario J75 Strings
    Virtuoso Premium Polish / Yes I clean & polish my mandolin

I can't be sure where it is now, but he sold it back to Aubrey Haney (whom he bought it from).

Americanadian Andrew B. Carlson's Avatar

Wasn't it Charlie's Loar? (Derrington)
    Mandolin, Guitar, & Bass for Doug Rawling & The Caraganas
    www.dougrawling.com
    2008 Kentucky KM-1000
    2014 Martin D-28 Authentic 1937
    1964 Gibson LG-0
    2022 Sigma SDR-45VS

Blog Entries

Obviously can't speak for anyone else on this, but I can report from my own experiences with a quite a lot of "highly desirable" instruments over many years, that there can be times when that "object of desire", once you actually have it, may not be the "holy grail" you expected of it. This is in no way to imply that the instrument (or instruments) in question are not good.. they can be very fine indeed, but they just may not match your style, or your tonal preferences. You can also factor into the equation that the very best modern instruments are absolutely fantastic in their own right, and that much of the "vintage superiority" mindset arose during a period when they were very much superior to 99% of the modern instruments of the day (late 60's through the dark days of Gibson and low point of Martin, etc., until things started to pick up again quality wise in the 80's and 90's). No question a Loar could blow away an early 70's F-5 or an old 'bone could destroy a 1970 D-28 with rosewood bridge plate, etc. Now, however, put them up against a Gilchrist, Martin 'Authentic', Ellis, Heiden, Dudenbostel, Bourgeois, Hamlett (or take your pick from other first rate luthiers of today) and it is not so clear cut at all. You may quite simply find one or other of these "does it for you" and delivers the sound and playability you demand.... I have encountered that several times myself. I have had a few "holy grail" class instruments over the years, and simply ended up deciding I preferred to play something else. I am sure I am not the only one.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Ronnie McCoury is another player who seems to prefer his Gilchrist over his Lloyd Loar. He says that the Gil.has a more balanced tone that suits him more. I have no doubt whatsoever that many Loars are indeed exceptional mandolins,but, i also think that there's a lot of attraction in owning a Loar simly for the 'name',and,as Almeria says above,sometimes what you wish (hope) for isn't what you actually get - don't we all know it sometime or other !. I suppose that maybe i'd enjoy playing a Gilchrist if i were able to afford one,but right now,after buying my 'used' Ellis "A" style,i wouldn't be looking much further than Austin,Texas for an "F" style,
    Ivan
    Weber F-5 'Fern'.
    Lebeda F-5 "Special".
    Stelling Bellflower BANJO
    Tokai - 'Tele-alike'.
    Ellis DeLuxe "A" style.

Maybe it's purely an economic decision he has made. If or financial reasons I had to sell my pre- war D-18 and go back to the recent Authentic that I had before, I could do so and be very content. I would however badly miss that old D-18 every time I played the new one. Even though he has a great mandolin to play now, I wouldbe very surprised if he did not miss playing that Loar a ton.
    It doesn't matter . . . I'm going to WINFIELD!!!!!

Blog Entries

All I can say is I had a '38 herringbone - sold it, don't miss it. Also had a Loar some years ago - don't miss that either. I have still got some vintage instruments, and a couple of them I like a lot, but equally, just as happy with some of the modern ones. A good instrument is a good instrument, and you can find that in a new one or an old one, in my opinion.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Loarcutus of MandoBorg DataNick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by almeriastrings View Post
    All I can say is I had a '38 herringbone - sold it, don't miss it. Also had a Loar some years ago - don't miss that either. I have still got some vintage instruments, and a couple of them I like a lot, but equally, just as happy with some of the modern ones. A good instrument is a good instrument, and you can find that in a new one or an old one, in my opinion.
    Almeria,

I'm with you on that...although certainly a Loar (an exceptional one) is the standard, I have to believe that there are modern instruments that are hitting that mark (Gilchrist, Dude, Nugget, Gibson, Red Diamond, Monteleone, Duff, Heiden, Vessel, Ellis, etc)
    1994 Gibson F5L - Weber signed

"Mandolin brands are a guide, not gospel! I don't drink koolaid and that Emperor is naked!"
    "If you wanna get soul Baby, you gots to get the scroll..."
    "I would rather play music anyday for the beggar, the thief, and the fool!"
    "Perfection is not attainable; but if we chase perfection we can catch excellence" Vince Lombardi
    Playing Style: RockMonRoll Desperado Bluegrass Desperado YT Channel

Goose 2 may be close to correct on this. Economics could be the reason for the sale. Maybe someone wanted it much more,"$$$$$$", than Danny did. Money talks, the mandolin walks.
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings

Agreed that money talks. If I had a Loar, or a pre-war Martin, etc., I'd sell it, but something nice to play music on, and use the rest of the money to better my life in general.

Had a friend with a mint restored 57 T- bird. I was at his home and noticed the vacant spot in his garage. I asked where was that T- bird, the one he was never going to part with. He said that his boss at work wanted it more than he did. $$$$$ Again, Money Talks!
    Lakota Leathers strap
    D'Addario J75 Strings