Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can this cold dry weather we've been having affect my action?

Chicago - most lately but - home is in Northern Arkansas.

Default Re: Can this cold dry weather we've been having affect my action?

One of the different ways of affecting the interior humidity of most instruments is to use your breath to immediately change the interior humidity. Exhaled breath is normally in the 70 to 75% range. If you exhale into the instrument until you feel the temperature change, you've added a bit of humidity to the instrument. I use a straw and it helps get the breath in. I normally do this when I'm taking an instrument out of its case or ... when I return it to its case.

I have forced air heating, and even with room humidifiers and case sponges or even small interior of instrument humidifiers, the exhaled breath seems to help keep my instruments playable. But for me the big thing is to keep the instruments in their cases. I really enjoy having them around as both decoration and immediate playing gratification when they are out but the reality in our frigid winters is to keep them alive and healthy in their cases.

For me, a little exhaled breath in a regular player can make a big difference.
    Mandola fever is permanent.

One of the different ways of affecting the interior humidity of most instruments is to use your breath to immediately change the interior humidity.
    I've seen people blow into their mandolin's f-holes before playing, and I've even done it myself (usually while lovingly murmuring "come on baby, wake up"). But I think the real work being done here is heat, not moisture. Breathing into a mandolin may add humidity to the air inside the chamber, but moisture content in the wood doesn't respond that quickly, does it?

That said, I always notice an immediate change in tuning if I step from a moist indoor environment to an outdoor environment (like taking my mandolin out on the porch while I have my coffee). So maybe it does respond that quickly. Sensitive wee beasties, they are.

Update: I purchased a room humidifier, and it's been running since yesterday. My eyes and throat feel infinitely better to start! The little hygrometer in the case has actually risen up to 46% since then. I'm gonna give it a couple more days before adjusting things again (I raised the bridge a bit initially). I have a couple real hygrometers arriving today, so I'll see how it goes.

It's a bit comforting to know the reason my mando was acting up, thank you all for the suggestions

Please be aware that you can over humidify your instruments. You really need to avoid the humidity extremes (damp / dry). Too much humidity can be as bad or even worse than too little.

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. Actually, I was surprised to see it went 24 posts before a wise crack was made.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

Sounds like you got the right idea golfunit.
    I live about 100 miles as the crow flies from you.
    The temp was 65 degrees here one day 14 the next.
    I grabbed a mandolin I hadn't played for awhile and was wowed.
    I had forgotten how nice it sound. I picked it up the next day and yech.
    Checked my wall gauge and it had gone from 55 to 35.
    Well I shoved dampits in all my f holes and put oasis' in every case.
    Then closed all the cases. And, they'll stay that way till Spring.
    I also ordered 4 hygrometers on E-bay. Now I'll have one in every case.
    They're cheap but better than nothing.
    I have a small spare bedroom I hope to make into a music room in the
    next year or so. I'll keep it humidified. Then [hopefully] problem solved.
    Gary
    vincit qui se vincit

I'm a big believer in room humidifiers instead of in-case types. I have tried many different types, including ultrasonic humidifiers. While they are quiet, I have gone through several and all have broken within a year. The best solution I have found yet is the Vicks warm mist vaporizer. It only costs about $18 and so I was able to buy 4 of them for 4 different rooms. They bring the humidity up to where it needs to be and I have had all four of them for two years now without a single problem. I keep all of my instruments in one room and have absolutely no humidity related issues with the instruments.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin