Thread: Old Time versus Mariachi

Default Old Time versus Mariachi

I grew up around old time and bluegrass, where the extra beat was thrown in at seemingly random times, seemingly to all but the traditional players.

Now out here in mariachi country, and darned if the guitarron bass player, and the guitarist when thumping the guitar bass strings, don't throw in a little hiccup of a delay on the down beat.

Just some of the things about different music in our great land that continue to fascinate me.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Old Time versus Mariachi

I would love to get some Mariachi into my mandolinning.

My band does a song that features a fellow lying in a nursing home reminiscing about times along the border long ago. I thought if I could put in some authentic sounding Mariachi phrases I could really support the vocals.

What makes a phrase or chord strum recognizable as Mariachi?
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

That's a good question, for traditional Mariachi is about as fixed in style and instrumentation as the most hidebound of Bluegrass bands.

There were singers, 4 or more violins and trumpets, voiced in 3rds in 2 parts each, guitar, guitarron, vihuela, all playing strict patterns for the various rhythms of the songs. I suppose you could play either guitar or vihuela parts for strums.

and so on.

Buena suerte.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffD View Post

What makes a phrase or chord strum recognizable as Mariachi?
    Syncopation. Rasqueado style strumming--effective for deploying the syncopated nuance. BTW, is particularly effective on the charango/ronroco. I would recommend those, and even ukes, for mandolinists wanting to get into this music/playing style--you might find a plectrum to be limiting here

Blog Entries

At this point I just want to recognizably emulate it for the song.

At some point though....
    A talent for trivializin' the momentous and complicatin' the obvious.

The entire staff
    funny....

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu2 View Post
    Syncopation. Rasqueado style strumming
    Exactly, but each strum pattern is determined by the specific rhythm of the song in question. It's not just using syncopation or whatever. The videos I posted make it clear.

9. The following members say thank you to DavidKOS for this post:

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    Exactly, but each strum pattern is determined by the specific rhythm of the song in question. It's not just using syncopation or whatever. The videos I posted make it clear.
    Yes, quite. But in general, what really distinguishes "Latin" music from "old-time" and much American music (that which is not influenced, pollinated or permeated by Latin forms, that is) is its rhythmic complex.

Same as with any music, of course--the rhythmic aspect is vitally important...difficult to emulate a form without its rhythmic element. Rhythm--phrasing, accent, feel--is often what makes something special. Subtleties exist in every music, but in Latin forms the rhythm is eminent.

11. The following members say thank you to catmandu2 for this post:

On the guitar and guitarron, the second down beat is slightly delayed, otherwise very similar to a country and western 4/4 straight beat. Like that extra bluegrass bar, I think you have to be born into it to get it right.

I played mando with a local mariachi band, it absolutely fit right in.

13. The following members say thank you to High Lonesome Valley for this post: