Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FW74 or EFW74???

Default FW74 or EFW74???

Wondering what the difference is here? I can find no real information online yet explaining the difference between the FW and EFW 74 D'addario strings. Just put a set on my Weber Gallitin for a try out and am really impressed, love the feel and tone as I am leaning towards Blues and Jypsy Jazz styles. Easy to finger and that is a real plus for me now as I managed to run my left pinky thru the crankshaft/ oil pump gear on a Detroit Diesel engine I was rebuilding recently, left is scared and very sensitive
    Appreciate any input on these! Thanks!
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

Default Re: FW74 or EFW74???

Which set did you put on? I've used FW74 but I much prefer TI 154.

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Sheehy View Post
    Which set did you put on? I've used FW74 but I much prefer TI 154.
    Good point there! OOPS! I put on a set of FW74'S
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Sumner View Post
    Wondering what the difference is here? I can find no real information online yet explaining the difference between the FW and EFW 74 D'addario strings.
    My guess is that just as the J74s have become the EJ74s, so the FW74s have been renamed EFW74s.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

5. The following members say thank you to pheffernan for this post:

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Bingo. I can tell you with some authority since I helped in developing the FW74. The strings are the same. Packaging and SKU are slightly different.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ted Eschliman For This Useful Post:

I recently changed strings on my '16 F-4 from FT-74s to FW-74s and I am loving the difference in sound and playability. They remind me a bit of the Tomastik-Infeld mittels I used years ago at only 1/3 the price and the feel/tension is much softer than the FT's. Ted, do you know if the FW's will work with magnetic pickups? TIA

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Chief Moderator/Shepherd Ted Eschliman's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Len, they are the same construction as the D'Addario Chrome electric guitar sets. They are fabulous with magnetic p/u.
    Ted Eschliman

Author, Getting Into Jazz Mandolin

10. The following members say thank you to Ted Eschliman for this post:

lenf12 

Thanks Ted, I have a set of Chromes on my Telecaster and like them very much. They "warm" up the guitar quite a lot. D'addario doesn't seem to mention materials other than phosphor, bronze or brass on their packaging.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL

Taking this in a slightly different bent, has anyone experienced any ill effects from the slightly lower string tensions of the FW74's over regular round wound strings?
    Playing:

2013 Girouard A5 S/N 63
    2013 Weber Gallatin A

Quote Originally Posted by Brandon Sumner View Post
    Taking this in a slightly different bent, has anyone experienced any ill effects from the slightly lower string tensions of the FW74's over regular round wound strings?
    What "ill effects" would you expect? it's just a different feel and different tone. The A and E strings are exactly the same and the wound strings are a bit easier on the mandolin' top. Other than that it just comes down to your preference.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

Made my Fender FM 61se into a decent thing, vs the round wound set I was using.

the 2 loops went on balls for cello strings in the 4 thru body ferrules
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

I just ordered a set of EFW74s for my Colkings MT. I'm wanting to explore different tonal options, and with this mandolin I find myself wanting to move away from the traditional sound of J74s. On this MT I seem to be hearing more string than wood, and I want to hear the character of the wood. Once I get the new set on I'll follow up here. They're currently back ordered on Amazon for a couple days.

Thanks especially to mandobassman for all the input on these strings (read lots via search, very helpful and detailed info). Your posts have convinced me to give them a try.

One of the things I love about the Cafe is the constant flow of information and help that is offered by Cafe members. I have learned so much and have been helped so many times by people willing to offer their expertise. I try to stay away from topics that I know little about but since I have been using flatwound strings for over 18 years, and have used many different kinds and brands, I feel it is a subject where I can offer some educated advice. Obviously, opinions differ, and although I love the sound I get from FW74's, you may not. I'm glad I was able to help in any way and I certainly hope you like them when you give them a try. Let us know how you make out.

PS. You point out one of the very basic things I love about flatwound strings. That is the ability to hear the character of the wood instead of the overtones of the string. They will sound a little bright when you first install them. Play them hard for a good week and they will settle down to the tone that they are known for and will stay that way for a very long time.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

17. The following members say thank you to mandobassman for this post:

I have had the EFW74s on my Alvarez A800 for about a week. They sound so warm, clean and smooth. I especially love the descending 14 note A major scale starting on the A position on the E string finishing on the a position on the G string. Sounds like a gentle water fall.
    http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/My_Stringies.JPG
    Mandolins- Early 1900's A, Kentucky KM-350, GuitarWorks-A style, Fender MandoStrat 8gone, Alvarez A-800(gone)
    Banjo - 1980 Alvarez Silver Bell (tweaked to peak)
    Guitars- 1976 Martin D-28,1992 Taylor 420, RainSong H DR 1000, Gretsch Anniversary Model. (I'm the original owner of all the Guitars listed)
    Bible - NASV

I just ordered two sets of EFW74's to put on my KM900. Looking forward to hearing how they sound on "Pearl"
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

I put the EFW74s on my MT today. They feel really, really good under the fingers with the slight loss of tension, and the pick glides over them nicely since they are flatwounds (they remind me of violin strings and look a lot like them). There is no loss of volume but gone are the brassy overtones of the J74s, which I believe is what most folks count as a loss of volume.

The EFW74s are a little bright at this point but I think they'll settle in nicely. I seem to be hearing more mandolin and less string, which was my goal.

I don't really want to keep trying strings. To me that is like having a pile of books on the shelf unread: it distracts me from what I'm currently reading. I'm sure I'll try some other sets (GHS Silk and Bronze have my attention) but I really want to settle in with something and get on with the business of making music.

Caleb this is exactly what I am after with switching to flats. Thanks for the review!
    Waterloo WL-M

22. The following members say thank you to Joey Anchors for this post:

Caleb 

Quote Originally Posted by Joey Anchors View Post
    Caleb this is exactly what I am after with switching to flats. Thanks for the review!
    I hope it works out for you. It completely changed my whole outlook on tone and now I find it very hard to play any mandolin with roundwound strings of any kind.
    Larry Hunsberger

Ibanez PF5

Quote Originally Posted by mandobassman View Post
    I hope it works out for you. It completely changed my whole outlook on tone and now I find it very hard to play any mandolin with roundwound strings of any kind.
    Thanks mandobassman! The KM900 had the stock strings on (J73?) before one broke while playing the other day. I always used flatwounds on my electric basses (guts on my upright bass) so I think these EFW74 will be what I am looking for in a mando string.
    Waterloo WL-M

I had my Jacobson #37 Koi outfitted with FW74 strings. I received this mandolin just before Thanksgiving. I was going to put a set of Thomastik strings on last week, but the FW74s still sound great and stay well in tune.

These just came in.. Looking forward to having them put on when Pearl gets her bridge fitted next weekend.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	208 
Size:	139.9 KB 
ID:	129032
    Waterloo WL-M

I've had the EFW74s on for a couple weeks now. I'm not sure if they've settled in or if my ear just got acclimated to them, but they seem much warmer than they were at first. I think I may have lost just a little sustain on the wound strings: the J74s have a bit more oomph but not more volume. I really like the EFW74s though: great feel and sound. I have said this before but it really does seem like I'm hearing the wood of my mandolin rather than the strings with these. That's the best way to describe it. I'm curious to see how long they last.

28. The following members say thank you to Caleb for this post:

Caleb I just got Pearl back from having the bridge fitting and a fesh set of EFW74s put on. I agree with what you have said about how these strings play and sound. Really looking forward to seeing how they sound after a few weeks of playing!
    Waterloo WL-M

Joey, how has the new bridge improved or changed that beautiful Kentucky? (I had a full-contact CA bridge put on my old Eastman a couple years ago and it did wonders.) And since you changed to a very different kind of string at the same time as the bridge upgrade, I bet your sound changed quite a bit.

Caleb, the tone has changed. It sounds much more even across the board. Before is sounded a tad scooped in the mids.. Now it like the mids are brought up to the already solid lowend and bell like highs.

These EFW74 do let one hear more madolin rather than strings and I love how they feel under the fingers.
    Last edited by Joey Anchors; Jan-25-2015 at 8:55am.
    Waterloo WL-M