Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tremolo

Blog Entries

Default Re: Tremolo

Before I decide how much tremolo to use I would be looking at what style the music is, what era & school of playing the piece comes from and whether I'm trying to play it as the composer intended or if another interpretation is preferred for some reason.
    Some styles would be murdered by tremolo rather than letting the natural decay and silence speak properly.

In terms of general starting points I would tend to look at tremolo where "I can see the whites of their eyes", that is notes from mimim and longer but also crotchets if the piece were slower but needed to be driven hard; sometimes subtlety is the last thing a piece neeeds. If there are dynamics such as crescendo/ diminuendo over whole phrases or passages then tremolo is probably going to cover even shorter notes, but I'd need to make decisions as to whether and how those individual notes may show through with the right hand as against just the left hand changes.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

2. The following members say thank you to Beanzy for this post:

My observations were, as I taught myself tremolo technique, that a good tremolo was "easy". What took me years was the ability to move in and out of tremolo effectively during a tune. i think it was about two years before it became automatic. But of course once you have a good seamless tremolo it becomes a very effective tool to add color to your playing.

Quote Originally Posted by David Lewis View Post
    The interesting unanswered question is when do you start to tremolo? Over an eighth note seems to me too excessive for my style and would slow me down. But to the poster who said that it works.

I go to half notes before I tremolo. And it's nearly always free. What about others?
    That depends on the style and tempo of the tune in question, like Beanzy said. A slow piece may use tremolo on shorter note values than a faster piece.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bart mcneil View Post
    What took me years was the ability to move in and out of tremolo effectively during a tune.
    Yep. For me thats the big bump in the road - transitioning.

How fast should one be able to tremolo?

At the moment I am doing 8 notes to the crotchet (DUDUDUDU) at about 70bpm, but some of the Ranieri exercises are at moderato or quicker which would have me doing 8 notes to the quarter note at well over 100bpm, I am miles off that. And I can't count that quickly!

Oval holes are cool David Lewis's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DavidKOS View Post
    That depends on the style and tempo of the tune in question, like Beanzy said. A slow piece may use tremolo on shorter note values than a faster piece.
    oh agreed... but in any case, I need a longer note... some can do it on a very short note...
    JBovier ELS; Epiphone MM-50 VN; Epiphone MM-40L; Gretsch New Yorker G9310; Washburn M1SDLB;

Fender Nashville Deluxe Telecaster; Squier Modified Vintage Cabronita Telecaster; Gretsch 5420T; Fender Tim Armstrong Hellcat: Washburn Banjo B9; Ibanez RB 5string; Ibanez RB 4 string bass

Pedalboard for ELS: Morley Cry baby Miniwah - Tuner - EHX Soul Food Overdrive - EHX Memory Toy analog Delay
    Fender Blues Jr Tweed; Fender Greta;

For me too, the biggest problem seems to be not so much the tremolo itself, but getting back to normal playing smoothly,without ending the tremolo to soon, in fear that I'll be to late on the next note.

From a point of view of where the movement comes from, there seem to be two methods:
    More from the wrist
    Or rather from the forearm

9. The following members say thank you to crisscross for this post:

Blog Entries

Wrong post
    EDIT Dang this was meant to go in the tremolo/chord thread so I've chopped it out here.
    Eoin

"Forget that anyone is listening to you and always listen to yourself" - Fryderyk Chopin

Here is the youtube video showing exactly how to practice tremolo technique. It is a very effective method to achive smooth and fast tremolo.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxvD41asKCY
    When I started playing mandolin, I did it wrong for the first 6 months until I discovered this video and spent another 3 months to correct it. It allowed me to play tremolo better and also switch between tremoloing and normal picking smoothly.

To crisscross, I think this means the technique is somewhat individual. Neither has a pinky post, however. Katerina (sp?) is very fluid with the entire arm, and strikes me as more relaxed and musical. Of course, Czardaz is a somewhat frenetic piece, which may factor into the sense of tension.

Peace. Love. Mandolin. Gelsenbury's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kkmm View Post
    When I started playing mandolin, I did it wrong for the first 6 months until I discovered this video and spent another 3 months to correct it. It allowed me to play tremolo better and also switch between tremoloing and normal picking smoothly.
    Well, it's the way to practise measured tremolo. The advantage is the switching between tremolo and non-tremolo as you say. But some people don't believe that this is proper tremolo. Just fast picking of a rhythmic figure:

Mandolin Lessons - #8: Tremolo: http://youtu.be/r0AixWeGzx8

14. The following members say thank you to Gelsenbury for this post:

derbex 

Mandolin Lessons - #8: Tremolo Good video -until he got the bagpipes out

I think I probbably do a measured tremolo, although I do loosen and tighten the grip as he demonstrates.