Thread: Mike Marshall's online school?

Default Mike Marshall's online school?

I should preface this by saying I have only been playing a couple months so far.

Right now I am taking group lessons at Jalopy Theater here in Brooklyn and love it! I really enjoy the social aspect of it and that I learn a new song every week or two. This approach is very song-based which is nice because I can feel like I am able to play something without it just being scales and random chords. I just finished "Mandolin 1" and I already signed up for "Mandolin 2," It has really made me excited about the instrument and cant say enough good things about the place.

I started looking into the online school by Mike Marshall and signed up to check out his few free lessons and it all seems pretty great. I really like the video exchange aspect. Given that the lessons I am taking now are more song focused and less technique/theory focused, I am wondering if it would be worth doubling up on the cost of lessons or to just try to dive deeper into technique on my own through whatever i can find/hear from other players etc. Or would it be better to follow the progression of classes at jalopy until a point where I feel I should break off and try something new and then switch?

Does anyone have any insights or experience with any of this that can help me out?
    Eastman MD315

Default Re: Mike Marshall's online school?

Hi Ian, I have been taking individual Skype lessons with Emory Lester for about a year now and I prefer the one on one interaction of individual lessons, there are lots of great instructors available now thru Skype. I send mp3s for advice on my playing and thru the lesson I get my questions addressed right then and there and I can always email a question when necessary. It takes me long enough to get a decent MP3, I don't even want to attempt a video right now anyway.

Haven't done anything online except look at the occasional YT video or use a DVD I have of Herschal Sizemore. I have a few friends that have taken some online courses from time to time and they liked them.

I think you are doing the right thing by going to the group lessons, I am going to start going to a local jam so I can gain experience playing with others.
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Thanks Diane! I hadnt given much though to one on one skype lessons, thats interesting! Do you find the fact that its through computer screen in real time to be distracting or degrading to the experience? (i guess specifically if there is any lag in the connection?)
    Eastman MD315

I would prefer to be in a in person lesson but I feel the best thing about Skype is the level of instruction available now. I realized when I went to Kaufman Kamp a few years ago I wanted a mandolin teacher whose main instrument was the mandolin not the local guy at the music store where I had not had much success in the past. Also, I moved cross country last year and was able to keep him as my instructor rather than searching out a new one at my destination.

We usually go over whatever he's had me working on, he answers any ques and then he gets on with whatever he has planned for the lesson and we wrap up. We do chat a bit at times (my fault) but mostly stick to music, he's very gracious with his time and I told him I owe him quite a bit of overtime at this point.

There is a delay and sometimes the signal gets pixeled or the call drops but it's not been a huge problem so far. We have been able to play a few things together, at my level of playing Emory can easily keep up...ha
    Northfield F5M #268, AT02 #7

Hard to beat Mike Marshall's lessons. I've never sent a video.........but learn so much by watching other students play and see how Mike responds & shows them exactly what will move them along and be within their grasp. I like that for a reasonable monthly fee, if you can put in the time there is tons of stuff on there. He has dozens of archived lessons in beginner, intermediate & advanced and just has a way of describing things that communicate. Mike is not only a world class player but an incredible teacher as well. Whatever his students want to work on in all genres, and the longer it goes on the more tunes will be archived. I keep going back to the same lessons & responses to tunes I already play well & keep coming away with nuggets to work on. In other words the lessons address where you are at now, but show you where to go, other areas to think about & work on. Mike teaches you how to think like a musician. I wish they had this when I was coming up, you can progress at whatever speed you are capable of, and if you have the time to be on there several hours a day or just an hour on weekends, there is a wealth of info on there, even if you are already a pretty good picker.

I think it depends on your learning style. I loved the video exchange system, and was constantly in awe of Mike's teaching style. I quickly learned that by having to film myself, I was much more motivated to play my very best, and if I wasn't happy with the take, I could just record again. In the end, this approach really helped me hone my skills, and I regret I don't have the time to continue these lessons nowadays (two small kiddos at home).

Even if you were never to submit a single video of your own, I think it would be well worth the cost to have access to all of the video exchanges....so much to be learned there!

I found Mike's videos to be absolutely first rate and his feedback on videos to be excellent. What didn't work for me was the time lag aspect. I would work on something, film it, send it off, wait for feedback, and then work on the suggestions from Mike's response. This turned out to be about a 3-4 week cycle. While Mike's suggestions were spot on, many of them were things that could be quickly handled in a one-on-one lesson. I guess I'm spoiled by weekly, real-time, in-person lessons and look forward to going back to those. I've never tried Skype lessons, so I can't compare the experiences.

With those caveats, I would recommend you try Mike's lessons. Even if the feedback system doesn't work for you, it's worth subscribing for a while just to watch the videos.

Geoffrey

Check out Pete Martin at pete@petimarpress.com. Online Skype lessons ! One of the best !

Thanks everyone, very helpful insights!
    Eastman MD315

+1 for MM. During the 2-3 weeks before he replies to your submission, you can watch any of the hundreds of other video submissions from beginner, intermediate, and advanced learners and also access any of the lessons. With this access I don't worry about his response time. You might just sign up for one month and see how you like it.

One more for Mike's lessons, I had a mandolin for 2 years and learned a bit from books and online but couldn't find anything to "commit" to. I joined Mike's online school in June with the intention of making him my "Sensei" and I've learned lots of technique, 6 tunes I can (almost) pull off in a jam, and lots of theory (there's a free theory section whichever school you join). He stresses building repertoire so you have something to work on but you could always send in songs you already know for a "placement" and he'll tell you to use a footstool, put the strap over your head, sit in a straight chair and watch your pick direction - which is just what I needed after watching all the conflicting styles and advice online. IMO you need one style to commit to at least at first then you can see the merits of other styles.

Another +1 for Mike Marshall. The curriculum of video lessons is *extensive*, and they're really well done. As others have said, his feedback on the video exchanges is spot on - with the caveat of the time lag. And watching others' video exchanges with him is very helpful.

As with anything, you get out of it what you put into it. But if you can commit to doing this, you *will* learn to play the mandolin. It's a bargain for the price. Highly recommended.

Distressed Model John Ritchhart's Avatar

Another vote for Artistworks. Mike's site is fantastic in depth and breadth of genres and technique. You can take theory lessons as well.
    We few, we happy few.

I was happy enough with the lessons from MM that I am going back to take fiddle lessons this winter. I know I suck at fiddle and need help.
    Kala tenor ukulele, Mandobird, Godin A8, Dobro Mandolin, Gold Tone mandola, Gold Tone OM, S'oarsey mandocello, Gold Tone Irish tenor banjo, Gold Tone M bass, Taylor 214 CE Koa, La Patrie Concert CW, Fender Strat powered by Roland, Yamaha TRBX174 bass, Epiphone ES-339 with GK1

I really enjoyed auditing everyone else's lessons and learned a ton that way. However, I didn't like recording myself. I love playing for people, but playing for the camera is another matter. It's a very supportive environment, and there's so much material out there.
    ma dh'fheumas tu tarraing, dčan sin gu socair

Instruments

Mann 2 Point - 2011
    Girouard Mandola - 2013
    Pava A5 - 2019

Another +1 for Mike Marshall's School of Mandolin. The site says that it is a bluegrass school, but I have seen videos with every genre you could imagine. From Bach to pop songs, swing, choro, and fiddle tunes. Says a lot about Mike's versatility. I even saw an exchange where the student sent Mike the theme song to Pokemon!!

Mike's teaching style is top notch as well. He will ask you about your musical history and after watching you he is able to identify what it is you should work on. I sent him a simple 4 chord song once and he came back with a 30 minute response showing how the progression and melody could be played in three places on the neck, how you could play it with drone strings, and how it could be played cross-picked as well. That lesson alone was worth the initial cost.

A live lesson has to be at a certain time. Maybe you are busy that day. Your mind is cluttered. You are not at your musical best. Time is wasted getting your instruments out, tuned up and warmed up. How much of the material will you remember? Mike's lessons are on your time whenever you feel like it. I do some of my best work in the wee hours of the morning and find this aspect very useful. OP's consideration of using live lessons in tandem with the Artistworks program seems like the best of both worlds.

You might also check out John Mcganns video lessons. For beginners they are quite good for technique.. John also left us with many good threads here on the cafe. I miss his input but refer to his post on practice every so often when needing inspiration.
    Al in PT

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Al Bergstein For This Useful Post: