Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How many mandolins is considered to many ?

Default Re: How many mandolins is considered to many ?

Quote Originally Posted by Markus View Post
    I have played mandolins for twelve years and have only owned two over that period.

One mandolin that plays great and time spent practicing and playing with others will make you a lot better mandolin player than a mandolin shopping habit ever will.

I know I am in the minority here for this opinion but a mandolin is tool for making music to me. Until I start needing specialized tools for specialized genres I am far better served learning to use my tool than looking at every variety of tool in the catalog.
    Good point. I have always felt the same way. I have been playing for 38 years and I still have one mandolin. But it's a good one, and I use it to learn songs. Never was big on trying to play any particular style, but rather use it to play songs that I like, which takes me across many genres.

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Teak For This Useful Post:

My learning curve was very steep the first half year or so; I went through probably 6, but all low-end stuff that put together wouldn't equal a single higher-end instrument. It took a while to learn not only the sound I wanted but to discern bad from good and the importance of setup and so forth. Since I bought used, I've always been able to resell and break even. My KM-150 ($99 used), Gretsch New Yorker, and TCOM are keeping me satisfied for now and look like keepers.

My next move up will probably be to a Crossover or an Eastman 304 if I can find either one used at some point, though I'm sort of considering a resonator mando (the RK model that runs about $450.) I don't see much value to me in going any higher than that for quite a long time based on my own needs and limitations.

I have other stuff not listed in my sig which may or may not last, like a couple of lower-end guitars and an electric bass guitar (Hofner style.)

4. The following members say thank you to Petrus for this post:

RedKnucklesUnclesCousin GKWilson's Avatar

I've bought and bartered and traded up till now I have 3 very nice mandolins.
    [I've had double that at times.]
    Now I'm retiring and think I only need one. Maybe 2. One for backup.
    Problem is, which one or two should I pass on?
    I love each of theme for what they offer.
    So, to help answer my problem I ordered another one.
    Good luck.
    vincit qui se vincit

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GKWilson For This Useful Post: