Thread: V-Picks....Anyone Play Them?? Thoughts....

Default V-Picks....Anyone Play Them?? Thoughts....

Hey all,

I was nosing last night looking at mando stuff and came across an ad for these V-Picks. I've never heard of them, but that's not saying much, so I checked them out. That clear acrylic that they make them from is really neat. I have never seen anything like it.

I like to try all sorts of picks. I've got quite a few in my drawer, but nothing like those. I'd like to hear what you all think of them. I don't know about those that are really THICK though. Those may be better used as a Golf Ball marker on the green.

Anyway, I'd like to try 1 or 2 and if I can find a shop that has them.

Opinions?

Thanks
    Nalajr

Default Re: V-Picks....Anyone Play Them?? Thoughts....

Some like 'em, some don't.

I've used one. It's fairly loud but very "clicky" on the strings.

I have a V-pick Lite, one of the big mando picks. I love it. It was the best pick I'd ever used (yes, I've tried a BC) till I found the Dunlop Primetone 1.3 that I've been using for a while now.

At a recent guitar show I stopped by the V-Pick booth. Nice folks. My friend bought some sort of very thick pick with textured strips on it for $8.

I previously used The Freakishly large medium pick and did like it. I would still be, but I tried the Blue Chip CT-55 and never looked back.
    Kenny B. Playing on a Stelling S-5Q #144
    Lakota Leathers strap
    Blue Chip CT55 pick & SR-50
    D'Addario J75 Strings
    Virtuoso Premium Polish / Yes I clean & polish my mandolin

I was one of the lucky winners of V-Picks in the MC draw a while back and got three to try. I am still using the triangular mandolin one (on my mandolin) and the slightly larger triangular one on guitar, but I did not take to the thicker white one - found it just too solid! the picks really are excellent for grip - better than any others I have tried (I have not tried any of the Blue Chip or similar 0 just the usual generic Fender, Dunlop, etc).

I have some of the rounded triangles in 2.5 mm. They're very clicky and I didn't like them at first. Then I put a good bevel on them and they got much better. They are still not my favorite pick but some folks swear by them.

I recently bought a V-pick for $4 and a Blue Chip for $35 at my local store and tried both. I have been using the V-pick now for the last 3 weeks and haven't touched any others including the BC. The V-pick is now my favorite pick. I did not notice any pick click or any other negatives with it. Next time I go shopping I plan to get some other V-pick sizes to try.

I truly don't think there is any one pick that works for all mandolins and all players. You just gotta find what works for you and that might change from year to year. So my philosophy is to try them all.

I have tried an assortment of V-picks and compared them directly to several varieties of bluechip picks. As Bob and others have said, there is a lot of "pick click" on the attack.

I liked and now use several of the varieties including the Gladiator, saga and the Gypsy. If I am at home and want to coax a specific sound out of one of my mandolins I tend to switch picks and work on drawing out a specific tone for a specific song (while trying to be very conscious about my right hand technique).

When I am playing live I always end up playing exclusively with my bluechip TP 60, because the difference isn't enough for me to carry all those picks and switch in between songs.

The price is low enough you can experiment around with these a little. And not freak out if you happen to lose one. Definitely worth your time and $ just to see if you like them.
    I should be pickin' rather than postin'

I pretty much have to echo what others have said. I bought an assortment of V-Picks in different shapes and thicknesses, just to see what they would do. They produce decent tone, but I couldn't get past the clicking noise they make on the strings. The really fat picks were the worst, making a chirping sound every time they touched the strings.

As I recall, the Gladiator was the best one of the bunch. It's not my pick of choice, but I could see using it in a pinch.

I tend to use a variety of picks, depending on a number of factors. I have an assortment of V-Picks, and my favorites are the Freakishly Large Rounded, and especially the Jalapeņo. V-Picks are certainly worth trying, and you may really like them. I have found that I can (easily) control any clicking or squeaking with subtle changes in attack.
    Think globally, bike locally.

I am in the same "contest winner" boat as John Kelly. I don't think I would have ever bought them but, I kind,of like the one they call "Jalapeņo" but, I still need something for traction, it tends to slip. I have used Dunlop lavender regular shape for years, I have about a gross, likely enough to last the rest of my life.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

I have a couple but I don't seem to use them much. You might like them though and it's always worth experimenting.
    Jacobson #24
    Kentucky KM-620
    Michael Kelly
    Fender
    Gold Tone Banjo

They're certainly worth a try. One nice thing is that when you order a couple of picks, Vinni will almost always throw in a sample of a different pick for you to try. I have tried four different models, including the one that JazzMando sells on its' web site. That one and the Saga were the ones I liked best, but I never really was comfortable with them. The things I liked very much with V picks were 1-the grip, very easy to hold onto. 2- Volume, the material produces very nice volume. 3- overall tone, it produced a very complex tone that gave the mandolin more depth and overtones than I was able to get from any other pick. The Negatives: 1- pick noise, very clicky, especially on the unwound strings. 2- this was the main thing that I stopped using them, every pick to some degree had a scratchy edge that was very noticeable on tremolo mostly. It was worse on some picks than others, but it was always there. The first order I placed was for 4 of the same model pick, the Freakishly large rounded. Not only did each pick sound different because of the different level of scratchiness, but even each of the three sides of the same pick were different. I looked at the edge of the pick with a magnifying loop and you could easily see the diagonal lines from the buffing, looking more like it had been buffed with a fine sandpaper. I looked at other picks I had and the edges were smooth and clean. I even tried to buff it better myself but could not get rid of the scratchy tone. I finally stopped using them altogether and sold them.

Lots of players really like them, and they do have some very good qualities, but the clicky noise and scratchiness really got in the way of good tone for me.
    Larry Hunsberger

2013 J Bovier A5 Special w/ToneGard
    D'Addario FW-74 flatwound strings
    1909 Weymann&Sons bowlback
    1919 Weymann&Sons mandolute
    Ibanez PF5
    1993 Oriente HO-20 hybrid double bass
    3/4 guitar converted to octave mandolin

My Florida is scooped pheffernan's Avatar

I'll join the chorus and say that I find the thicker blue "Saga" pleasantly sticky but annoyingly clicky; however, I really liked the thinner 1.0 mm clear "Tremelo" on my flattops until I lost it.
    1924 Gibson A Snakehead
    2005 National RM-1
    2007 Hester A5
    2009 Passernig A5
    2015 Black A2-z
    2010 Black GBOM
    2017 Poe Scout
    2014 Smart F-Style Mandola
    2018 Vessel TM5
    2019 Hogan F5

I've used the jazzmando v-pick, but found the click attack too noticeable for my taste. I currently use the jazzmando d'andrea proplec. Vpicks are well worth trying to see it if it is right for you. I'd be interested in trading one of my V picks for a dunlop primetone.

I have the Freakishly Large Lite, it's very good for mandolin! Also the Tremelo, lost one which later turned up in the Shark vacuum tank snapped in half.....the Tremelo is a great strumming pick as it does have a wee bit of flex to it....It's a bitch to find though when dropped on the grey carpet as it's clear....
    Also have the Memphis Belle and the round one (blue) designed after the 6 pence British coin Brian May of Queen uses on his guitar...lost that one...sad as I really liked it...Vinnie is a great guy and I would definately give him a call. He will actually speak with you and make specific recommendations. Very rare these days, I personally love to support folks like Vinnie!