Thread: Mandolin treacher question...

Exclamation Mandolin treacher question...

I'm a guitar player who just got his first mandolin and can't decide how to hold the neck. When up on the neck of a guitar, my thumb is all that is touching the neck so naturally I have a tendency to do that.

A mandolin player, that I know, says the neck should rest in my palm, between the thumb and forefinger. He is a self taught player and that doesn't sound just right to me. I will start learning the chords and some scales tomorrow and don't want to start bad habits.

I need guidance....

Twaang

Default Re: Mandolin treacher question...

Quote Originally Posted by Twaang View Post
    I'm a guitar player who just got his first mandolin and can't decide how to hold the neck. When up on the neck of a guitar, my thumb is all that is touching the neck so naturally I have a tendency to do that.
    Yeah, don't do that.

A mandolin is roughly the same fingerboard width and scale length as a violin. So generally speaking, we use violin technique with the left hand instead of what we're used to on guitar... speaking here as a 40 year guitar player who learned mandolin 7 years ago.

Here's the best short video clip I know of, for showing the left hand position. Mike Marshall explaining it:

There are some other tricks you'll learn as a transitioning guitar player, like how useful it is to hold down two courses (four strings) at once with a single fingertip. That's why you don't want a "wide" nut on mandolin. And also how to play out of first position like a violin, which means each finger covers two frets, and you need a strong pinky finger on the left hand.

Welcome to the mando madhouse.

Look at the left hand videos I made here

http://www.petimarpress.com/mandolin...%20videos.html

These are ergonomic techniques taught me by a Performing Arts Medical Assn doc when I was having a lot of overuse injuries.
    -----------
    Pete Martin
    www.PeteMartin.info
    Jazz and Bluegrass instruction books, videos, articles, transcriptions, improvisation, ergonomics, free recordings, private lessons

www.WoodAndStringsBand.com
    Jazz trio

www.AppleValleyWranglers.net
    Western Swing music

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pete Martin For This Useful Post:

I have likely watched that Marshal video 30 times. An excellent guide to developing good basic habits.

Hey thanks everybody!!

That's just what I needed.

Twaang....

Great video, thanks for sharing this.