Thread: Chinese labor and mandolins / guiitars

Default Chinese labor and mandolins / guiitars

I have been waiting for a Recording King guitar for months and was just told that there is a MAJOR labor strike / shakeup in China that is affecting a lot of stuff that used to flow pretty steady. This has me concerned that if I do get the instrument, QA/QC might be suspect. Did anyone else hear about this major development? The Christmas season might be shot for a lot of retailers is what I heard.

Sean

Default Re: Chinese labor and mandolins / guiitars

Nothing recently, but about a month or so ago, I did see a news clip on one of the national networks with video of the labor strikes and protests. That's all I have though!
    2014 Weber F Style Yellowstone HT
    2014 Weber "Special Edition"
    2012 The Loar LM 500 VS

Well, I just posted about this on the Recording King Facebook page (very politely) simply asking for the truth about when guitars would be shipping again and my comment was removed and I am now blocked from posting on that page? I will be canceling my order asap but would like to hear from retailers here that might be able to confirm or expand on this information.

Sean

I blame either Kenny G or Ebola

5. The following members say thank you to OldSausage for this post:

Astro 

poor excuse for anything Charlieshafer's Avatar

Hmmm... Don't know about that, but I do know there's an incredible issue on the docks here as far as getting containers unloaded and shipped. The problem seems to be that the new mega-cargo ships, that hold at least three times what the old ones did, are the ones most used. This sound great, as more gets on the boat coming over, but the problem is all the ports were built to accomodate the normal ships. There's a space shortage, a crane shortage, and even worse, a lack of truckers and trucks that can get the stuff on the road.

One business report mentioned that this could really hurt the Asian manufacturers of just about everything, as most retail buyers (talking big stores here) have a clause that of the merchandise isn't received by a certain date (usually very early in November) they can either cancel or get a huge discount on the merchandise. Essentially, that means if the goods weren't on the docks a month ago, forget it.

Not sure if this hurt the Recording King company or what, but it's just another issue to deal with.

7. The following members say thank you to Charlieshafer for this post:

sgrexa 

Sean,

I haven't heard of any specific instruments being held up, but this sort of thing happens all the time (we just don't always hear about it). If it is not the factories having trouble, it is the trucking or the ocean freight, suppliers of materials, etc.. It is not much different than what goes on here in the USA. No cause for alarm, aside from the delays.

There is also a major shut down for Chinese New Year.
    Robert Fear
    http://www.folkmusician.com

"Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't.
    " - Pete Seeger

9. The following members say thank you to Folkmusician.com for this post:

sgrexa 

Quote Originally Posted by OldSausage View Post
    I blame either Kenny G or Ebola
    I blame both.. Oh and the rain!
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Robert et al,

Thanks for the comments. The shipping issues are interesting. My concern is that I have been told week after week that is shipping, or it shipped, blah blah. Now I hear that all of the talented craftsman are basically either on strike or gone on to greener pastures. I am not sure what is true, but I do not like the way I have been treated and will consider an American made purchase. I think they have been trying to keep this under wraps and now that the holiday season is approaching, dealers are starting to realize that things are much worse than they expected.

Sean

Blog Entries

You likely got banned from the FB page because that thread could be way more incendiary there than here (given our strict rules on those discussions). It was probably best left for a private message.

Jamie
    There are two things to aim at in life: first, to get what you want; and, after that, to enjoy it. Only the wisest of mankind achieve the second. Logan Pearsall Smith, 1865 - 1946

+ Give Blood, Save a Life +

Out of curiosity, Sean, which RK do you have on order?

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    ...Now I hear that all of the talented craftsman are basically either on strike or gone on to greener pastures…
    Recording King is telling you this? The company itself, or other posters on their forum?

I would say telling potential customers that all your good workers are leaving the company, is the dumbest strategy in the history of marketing. If this were happening in my company, I'd surely not blab it around.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by sgrexa View Post
    Well, I just posted about this on the Recording King Facebook page (very politely) simply asking for the truth about when guitars would be shipping again and my comment was removed and I am now blocked from posting on that page?
    Your comments probably expressed counter-revolutionary sentiments which if left unchecked could destabilize social order.

BTW ... I love my Recording King resonator ukulele. I restrung it with steel strings and tuned it GDAE though, mando-style. But it sounds great. I got a good deal on it used (but like new) for $260. I've got a RK resonator mando on my wish list, too, which I'll probably also get used.