Thread: Suzuki M 60

Default Suzuki M 60

Does anyone have more information on these?http://www.thomann.de/de/suzuki_m60_mandoline.htm
    I'm looking for a good bowlback under 1 K.

Default Re: Suzuki M 60

The only Suzuki bowlbacks I see in the US are the ones from about the 1970s which are not the greatest. I have heard that there are ones made now that are actually nice instruments, but I believe that they are only sold in Europe and Asia, AFAIK. This Thomann one might be one of those. Sorry I can't be more of help.

Check out the Calace shop. I believe that their simplest model may sell for 1K. BTW are you talking $1000 or 1000 euros?
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Check Matsikas mandolins in Greece.
    I have tried those in their shop in Athens. They have a model that starts from EUR 470 on their website
    http://www.matsikas.gr/en/Catalog-Ma...Accessories_19
    It sounded good when I tried it (last year)

Same model exists on Thomann site:
    http://www.thomann.de/de/search.html...=7812&wgf7812=

I also contacted Calace this year and they have a model that starts from EUR 680.

But if you are in Europe and looking for a bowl back you should check David Hynds website:
    http://www.mandolinluthier.com/
    Although his site has been down for a few days !
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

Thanks Jim, thanks Hany. I just ordered a Matsikas 3 w B-Stock.
    I'll report as soon as it arrives.

The Matsika 3 W arrived today. Sound is OK, but the workmanship a little shoddy. One of the e-strings is lying on the first fret, when played open, so no open string is possible. The saddle is too low. I know,you can fix this problem wih soda and superglue, but I think I'll send it back.
    There seems to be a slightly different type of bowlback with a slightly larger bowl here in Germany. Maybe I'll buy one of those models. Builders are Hopf, Knorr, Doderer and some others. The Hopf is within my pricerange.

Sorry for your bad experience with Matsikas, maybe it's because it's B stock.
    If you get the Hopf let us know how it sounds.
    The German mandolin shape is not the Neapolitan mandolin shape by the way.
    “Music expresses that which cannot be said and on which it is impossible to be silent.”
    ― Victor Hugo

As Hany noted, the German mandolin is much different from the Neapolitan. Italian instruments in general have a brighter sound and use roundwound strings. German mandolins use Thomastik flatwounds and go for that more mellow, guitar-like sound.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

I just ordered a used Suzuki M-30. It has a maple back, like my other mandos

The Suzuki M 30 I bought used has arrived today. I have no bowlbacks to compare, but to me it seems nice. It is strung with Thomastiks wich seem to be the standard in German Zupforchesters. The only thing that bothers me a bit, is the fretboard extension wich produces pick-noise when the e-string is picked. But the sound as such is good.
    https://soundcloud.com/tele1310/rujero-3
    Maybe I'll try Dogal Calace strings one day, but for now,I'm happy with the Thomstiks.

Sounds good, congrats.
    ― Victor Hugo