Thread: More Airline Observations

Default More Airline Observations

I recently flew on Southwest Airlines. Was pleased to see a couple of passengers board carrying small guitars in gig bags. I had intended to put a laminated mandolin in my large suitcase with plenty of clothing for protection, but I chickened out at the last minute. Good thing, because what I watched the baggage handler do was disturbing. I sat over the wing and watched him bring a large conveyor belt up to the plane. Then he stood about five feet from the end and threw the suitcases onto it. These were not gentle tosses. He threw them down hard in an apparent effort to make them stick to the conveyor. A few hit the edge of the conveyor and fell to the ground. He picked those up and slammed them onto the conveyor again.

This is consistent with Scott's observations in his blog back in February.

I had the opportunity to discuss this with a Delta flight attendant. She pointed out that most of these instruments don't fit in the overhead when the plane is full, she generally does not have room in her storage closet for them, and that it is a violation of federal law to hold one between your legs, so she insists that they be checked. Her advice was to purchase a seat for the instrument if you want to ensure it's safety. The real problem is that the airlines have reduced the flights to make sure they are full, and this has reduced the available space.

I guess it is Traveler Beware.
    Tom

"Feel the wood."
    Luthier Page: Facebook

Default Re: More Airline Observations

I flew to DFW last Thursday on American with a Tenor Banjo (19 fret) and a mandolin... No problems. The attendant even put the TB in the closet...

There is a third option. You can "gate check" your instrument. You take it out to the gate and hand it to the guy just outside the door of the plane. They give you a ticket stub. They then hand carry it down and put it on the plane. At the other end, you wait just outside the door of the plane and they bring it right too you. That way it does not have to go through the airport baggage system. As long as you have a nice case you will be fine. I have gate checked many guitars and even a very fragile Indian Sitar. Everything came out perfect.

I have never flown with an instrument.
    But every time I fly I see dozens of people carrying on bags about 3 times the allowed size, so big that they literally have to hammer the overhead compartment doors shut to fit them in.
    Nobody seems to care there ....
    I have never let my schooling interfere with my education - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by CWRoyds View Post
    There is a third option. You can "gate check" your instrument. You take it out to the gate and hand it to the guy just outside the door of the plane. They give you a ticket stub. They then hand carry it down and put it on the plane. At the other end, you wait just outside the door of the plane and they bring it right too you. That way it does not have to go through the airport baggage system. As long as you have a nice case you will be fine. I have gate checked many guitars and even a very fragile Indian Sitar. Everything came out perfect.
    I've seen these slugs toss instrument cases very hard and with relish.

Oh, Absolutely. Crimes are committed against instruments every day at the airport, but sometimes they say you can't take the instrument on board. At least when you gate check it, the instrument does not have to go through the entire airport baggage system. It is just taken down some stairs to the belly of the plane. It is much much safer than checking it at the ticket counter.