Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antique guitarshaped mando?

Default Antique guitarshaped mando?

Neighbor sent this link, looks kinda cool, any idea who made it?
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-Mand...item3ceabfa31e

Default Re: Antique guitarshaped mando?

No, but now were all hoping you'll make one so we can watch Ezra demo it!

Scott

Registered User Steve VandeWater's Avatar

That is cool. I want it
    It ain't gotta be perfect, as long as it's perfect enough!

Mandolin tragic Graham McDonald's Avatar

I haven't come across a carved guitar mandolin from any of the big manufacturers as all the guitar-mandolins I have seen in person or in catalogs have been flat-tops. An individual builders long forgotten?

cheers

Love those tuners. A "one-of?" Never seen one exactly like it -- or even reasonably close. Not a mandolinetto.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Ovation mandolins have guitar (with cut away) shape !!!
    I am wondering how can the bridge/saddle hold up to the string tension.
    The bridge/saddle does look like a bridge to me with supporting posts on both end.

I don't think it was US made, it is cool though. On closer look those f holes are rough.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

I may be old but I'm ugly billhay4's Avatar

Very interesting instrument. I,too, would like to know it's origins.
    Bill
    IM(NS)HO

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    I don't think it was US made, it is cool though. On closer look those f holes are rough.
    I am curious why you say that. To me that only thing that looks European (or non-US) are the tuners. I don't think this is a factory instrument, prob a small shop or a talented amateur.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    I am curious why you say that. To me that only thing that looks European (or non-US) are the tuners. I don't think this is a factory instrument, prob a small shop or a talented amateur.
    The tuners and tailpiece are not common and I would assume anyone building it in the US would have used the common parts available from almost any jobber at the time. That mandolin has to be later than the late teens, most likely later than the late 20's. I suppose a small hobbyist type builder might have built it using old tuners and a tailpiece off an old mandolin but I suspect it was built elsewhere.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Perhaps some violin maker's effort at a mandolin? Maybe German or French?
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MikeEdgerton View Post
    The tuners and tailpiece are not common and I would assume anyone building it in the US would have used the common parts available from almost any jobber at the time. That mandolin has to be later than the late teens, most likely later than the late 20's. I suppose a small hobbyist type builder might have built it using old tuners and a tailpiece off an old mandolin but I suspect it was built elsewhere.
    I don't know, Mike, that looks like it could be a Waverly tailpiece minus the cloud (the rest under the strings is just gunk or leftover from a felt / leather string dampener.) The tuners could have come off an older mandolin, been leftovers at the shop or (if this were old enough, brand new.)

We're all just pixxing right now, but I do think it is US made. Howe-Orme was steaming tops on mandolinettos in the early '00s or so. The 'model' form was around and my (uninformed, shot-in-the-dark) guess this was someone's take on those--with the obvious addition of f-holes.

The absence of neck / head joint makes me want to lean away from Italian manufacturer. Too rough and ready for the Germans or French.

The 'point-y' end of the fretboard also suggests US to me (like on Fairbanks or Waldos, though I don't think of this as coming from them, or a production model--too bad! Maybe a demo?)

Just my dos centavos, obviously just guessing....Cool mandolin!

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

Check out those dowels through the back into the neck heel. A "repair"? Or if not, clearly an amateur job. The rest of it looks quite competent, though.

Quote Originally Posted by brunello97 View Post
    I don't know, Mike, that looks like it could be a Waverly tailpiece minus the cloud (the rest under the strings is just gunk or leftover from a felt / leather string dampener.) The tuners could have come off an older mandolin, been leftovers at the shop or (if this were old enough, brand new.)

We're all just pixxing right now, but I do think it is US made. Howe-Orme was steaming tops on mandolinettos in the early '00s or so. The 'model' form was around and my (uninformed, shot-in-the-dark) guess this was someone's take on those--with the obvious addition of f-holes.

The absence of neck / head joint makes me want to lean away from Italian manufacturer. Too rough and ready for the Germans or French.

The 'point-y' end of the fretboard also suggests US to me (like on Fairbanks or Waldos, though I don't think of this as coming from them, or a production model--too bad! Maybe a demo?)

Just my dos centavos, obviously just guessing....Cool mandolin!

Mick
    You're right about the tailpiece. I couldn't get that image to enlarge before. It might be a Waverly cloud. The tuners are still out in left field. I think you're wrong about the age though. That is definitely a copy of an f hole guitar and they have a definite start date and that would be well after the mandolinetto craze. Either that or this guy was way before his time.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Tuners may very well have come from some European instrument. From the photos they don't look like they fit perfectly. I am not sure about the period. Waldo mandolins had f-holes and the patent for them dates to 1897. They also have a v-shape at the fretboard end. That, of course, is no conclusive evidence of anything, including where it was made, by whom, or when. However, I would be somewhat hesitant to say it was not made earlier. OTOH my gut does say it was later than the first decade of this century and most likely was after the mandolinetto time, but I am not 100% sure.

Of course, Waldo, Shutt or Gibson did not invent the f-hole. They were on violins way before all these guys. My guess (as some others have noted) is that it could have been made by a violin guy.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Tuners may very well have come from some European instrument. From the photos they don't look like they fit perfectly. I am not sure about the period. Waldo mandolins had f-holes and the patent for them dates to 1897. They also have a v-shape at the fretboard end. That, of course, is no conclusive evidence of anything, including where it was made, by whom, or when. However, I would be somewhat hesitant to say it was not made earlier. OTOH my gut does say it was later than the first decade of this century and most likely was after the mandolinetto time, but I am not 100% sure.

Of course, Waldo, Shutt or Gibson did not invent the f-hole. They were on violins way before all these guys. My guess (as some others have noted) is that it could have been made by a violin guy.
    If it didn't look so much like a modern archtop guitar I might be able to say it was back in the early days. I have to assume somebody added the plastic electric guitar era endpin later on but who knows. The tuners might very well have been off an old non-US mandolin. I think it's a darn nice one off. I can't even attribute this one to Regal. If it was a violin guy he might have got the f holes a little cleaner.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

I was just cruising thru my files and I found this unusual mandolin by Araldo de Bernardini an Italian who emigrated to France around 1921. Other than a rough resemblance for shape, carving and f-holes I doubt that this current eBay was made by that maker or even if it was made in France, tho the French did like to experiment with cross-pollinating instruments: violins with guitar shapes (Chanot) and mandolins with violin shapes (JTL).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	e4_1_b.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	24.2 KB 
ID:	125558   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	c4_1.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	125559  
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:

I think Jim may have made an interesting observation, the tuners may have been salvaged from something else or that sort of scenario.
    However, "French" came to mind first, I have nothing to base any of this conjecture on but, it's pretty cool. Might be fun to spend an afternoon with a glass on the patio with this curvaceous little gem.
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Unless he made the one that is currently for sale as an old man I don't think they are connected but that one is beautiful.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

For posterity, this is the mandolin for sale on eBay right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_12.JPG 
Views:	98 
Size:	28.6 KB 
ID:	125560  
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Mandolin Luthier has these similar tuners shown on his site. I can't access his site right now but he may know what they are.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	tuners.JPG 
Views:	134 
Size:	32.4 KB 
ID:	125561

Cool!
    Timothy F. Lewis
    "If brains was lard, that boy couldn't grease a very big skillet" J.D. Clampett

Full Grown and Cussin' brunello97's Avatar

That style tuner was used by numerous US manufacturers as well. Martin, in particular used them on various mandolins. Fairbanks and Cole as well from Boston. I don't know who made these tuners. They very well may have been imported but on their own their presence on this mandolin doesn't necessarily imply anything about its origin.

I'm a devotee of Ockham's Razor, so Mike's theory of it being a mando-take on an F-hole guitar ('20s) makes sense. The mandolinetto fad and the H-O experiments were a decade or more in advance of that--as was Waldo F-holes as Jim pointed out.

We're beating a dead horse, though, until some more info turns up. I appreciate Jim's gumshoe work (as always) but I agree with his caveat, this doesn't look French at all. My guess is US made by some enlightened free-lancer.

I agree with the consensus so far, NLM: Nice Looking Mandolin. Would love to have it on my lap for awhile.

Mick
    Ever tried, ever failed? No matter. Try again, fail again. Fail better.--Samuel Beckett

'05 Cuisinart Toaster
    '93 Chuck Taylor lowtops
    '12 Stetson Open Road
    '06 Bialetti expresso maker
    '14 Irish Linen Ramon Puig

At one time almost everyone used tuners that were similar to that, some had a single plate some had the double plate. I suspect that they were originally patterned after what was used in Europe and may or may not have been manufactured here. I would assume that by the time mandolin production went big time that somebody started making them here. It appears that the tuner covers on the mandolin in question were either stripped of their plating or left unplated. That could have been done at a later date as well I suppose.
    --M. Stillion

--J. Garber

Infrequently Smelt Gregory Tidwell's Avatar

That thing is totally cool.
    Objects in mirror are closer then they appear.

- Buick, 1986