Thread: Another What is it request

Default Another What is it request

A friend of my wife dropped off the pictured instrument, she said it was a Uke, formerly belonging to her late father which she had recently discovered in a closet. She does not play and asked if I would clean it up and see what I can do with it.

My wife, the actually talented musician in our family, was suspicious of the Uke claim and researched a bit. We believe it is a mandolinetto possibly from the early 1900's. There is no label or any identification marks on the instrument.

It cleaned up rather nice, holds it's tune and sounds nice. The little thing projects some sound!

The issues beyond normal wear that I found were a slight area where the back and sides have separated, one of the tuning knobs has been crudely replaced, one of the tuners, 1st G, is kind of funky and the neck appears to have a very slight twist.

Any thoughts of origin or notion of value is greatly appreciated!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01764.jpg 
Views:	215 
Size:	167.8 KB 
ID:	125396   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01763.jpg 
Views:	237 
Size:	149.1 KB 
ID:	125395   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01765.jpg 
Views:	180 
Size:	191.3 KB 
ID:	125397  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01767.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	155.4 KB 
ID:	125398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01769.jpg 
Views:	188 
Size:	169.6 KB 
ID:	125399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01768.jpg 
Views:	224 
Size:	174.1 KB 
ID:	125400  

Default Re: Another What is it request

Other than the tail piece, it looks a lot like this Vernon. http://antebelluminstruments.blogspo...dolinetto.html

Quote Originally Posted by bingoccc View Post
    Other than the tail piece, it looks a lot like this Vernon. http://antebelluminstruments.blogspo...dolinetto.html
    Really looks like the Vernon. Both instruments have oak wood back& sides. I wonder how common was that.

Oak bodied instruments were fairly common in the early 20th century and maybe late 19th century. I have run across quite a few parlor size guitars both American made and German made with oak backs and ribs, not many mandolins though.

5. The following members say thank you to barney 59 for this post:

I believe that is a Taropatch, or basically an 8-string uke. They were somewhat of a novelty instrument and were never as popular as a regular uke.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

Thanks to all for their replies. Agree the closest similar example is a Vernon would it be odd that the head stock metal tag be missing without any evidence of the securing pins? Curious to learn if the number of screws used to attach the tuners to the head stock vary by manufacturer? I see the Vernon model made for Bruno used 3 while the Lyon & Healy mandolinetto photos I've seen used 5. The one we have uses 5 or is it most likely manufacturer used whatever he had in the shop.

Also curious if the body sizes varied very much by manufacturer of the era and if anyone can confirm the Vernon model dimensions.

This one is 21 5/8 overall with a body of 10 1/2 by 7 11/16

On the taropatch suggestion - I originally thought the same but have not found an example with a similar tail piece and bridge arrangement which lead me to a mandolinetto - but I could have easily missed examples.

Further inspection of revealed a hairline crack on the back and the frets need some work.

Really appreciate everyone's comments as it is obvious I am a novice and can use all the help I can get!

Taropatch, nah! It is a mandolinetto, small guitar-shaped mandolin. Meant to be steel-strung -- movable bridge, tailpiece and pickguard. Taropatches are concert ukes with fixed bridges, strung with gut or nylon and no pickguards (usually).
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Professional Dreamer journeybear's Avatar
    Northeastern South Carolina, west of North Carolina
    Blog Entries

Right - I was thinking the strings were a giveaway as to its nature. I'm assuming it came in with those on.
    But that's just my opinion. I could be wrong. - Dennis Miller

Furthering Mandolin Consciousness

Finders Keepers, my duo with the astoundingly talented and versatile Patti Rothberg. Our EP is finally done, and available! PM me, while they last!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Garber View Post
    Taropatch, nah! It is a mandolinetto, small guitar-shaped mandolin. Meant to be steel-strung -- movable bridge, tailpiece and pickguard. Taropatches are concert ukes with fixed bridges, strung with gut or nylon and no pickguards (usually).
    Dammit Jim, I'm a surgeon not a mandolinetto expert.
    Visit www.fox-guitars.com - cool Gibson & Epiphone history and more. Vintage replacement mandolin pickguards

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pfox14 For This Useful Post:

Oak backs and sides were in vogue for a short period of time. I'm not really sure the pickguard is original, or maybe I just wants to see some tortoise color there.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber

Quote Originally Posted by pfox14 View Post
    Come on over, Paul. I will make you one of my famous mandolinetto cocktails.
    Jim

My Stream on Soundcloud
    Facebook
    19th Century Tunes
    Playing lately:
    1924 Gibson A4 - 2018 Campanella A-5 - 2007 Brentrup A4C - 1915 Frank Merwin Ashley violin - Huss & Dalton DS - 1923 Gibson A2 black snakehead - '83 Flatiron A5-2 - 1939 Gibson L-00 - 1936 Epiphone Deluxe - 1928 Gibson L-5 - ca. 1890s Fairbanks Senator Banjo - ca. 1923 Vega Style M tenor banjo - ca. 1920 Weymann Style 25 Mandolin-Banjo - National RM-1

Quote Originally Posted by pfox14 View Post
    I think that was from 'Star Trek VI -The Undiscovered Instrument'

I'll get my coat

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to derbex For This Useful Post:

My favorite Q in this thread is about # of screws used for the tuner backplate. The answer is... this changed depending on tuner manufacturer used and is not a reliable indicator of maker.

I still don't know who made the Vernon and no... lack of or addition of an extra nameplate = nothing to think on. That's entirely a reseller/retailer thing and has no bearing on the maker (usually).

Oh but if it were so easy to simply count the number of screws and know who made it. That would be a dream. As most manufacturers were probably at the mercy of their suppliers it would change anyway. "I need a dozen sets of tuners with 3 mounting holes". Supplier replies "I've only got them in stock with 5 holes, the 3 hole model will be in next January with our next shipment". I'm pretty sure they'd just adjust the process to take whatever they could get. There was no overnight air freight from Asia, New York, or California in those days.
    "It's comparable to playing a cheese slicer."
    --M. Stillion

"Bargain instruments are no bargains if you can't play them"
    --J. Garber