Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jonathan McClanahan "revoicing" a 2002 Gibson F-5 Master Model

Blog Entries

Default Re: Jonathan McClanahan "revoicing" a 2002 Gibson F-5 Master Mode

I have to say I am somewhat disconcerted by the constant use of the term "Master Model" to describe this instrument, as it is very misleading in my opinion. It is a Fern (or F-5L). It is as much a Gibson "Master Model" as the Flatiron 'Performer' A-style I have hanging around here at the moment. That also has a "Gibson Master Model" label and is from exactly the same period (2001-2). Is that really a Gibson "Master Model" too? I don't think so.... unfortunately the 'blame' (if there is any) for this confusing state of affairs ultimately lies at Gibson's door as they are the ones who compounded this strange nomenclature when they added the 'real' Master Model... the one with red spruce, varnish and hide glue, etc....the one that is sometimes found in a rather distressed state...

So, we are actually talking about an F-5L/Fern here. It would be interesting to know what the label actually says. F-5L or F5-Fern? As others have pointed out, if it really was a "Master Model" (as we normally understand the term today) there would be a 'V' present on the label designation.... as per those 2002 examples shown in this video:

Clearly instruments vary. There are good, bad and indifferent examples. This one evidently had some problems and it looks like a great job was done in sorting them out and bringing it to life. I too would have liked some "before and after" samples/photos as it is impossible to really assess the results without them. I do think the new finish work looks excellent, and from what I've seen of other F5-L's from that period, is quite an improvement. I also think $1500 to get a mandolin that is not that good sounding up to one that keeps the owner happy is fair enough. If I had a "lump" of a mandolin, I would certainly consider it!
    Last edited by almeriastrings; Oct-30-2014 at 1:58am.
    Gibson F5 'Harvey' Fern, Gibson F5 'Derrington' Fern
    Distressed Silverangel F 'Esmerelda' aka 'Maxx'
    Northfield Big Mon #127
    Ellis F5 Special #288
    '39 & '45 D-18's, 1950 D-28.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to almeriastrings For This Useful Post:

Looks beautiful and sounds great to my untrained eyes and ears. Thank you for posting

Quote Originally Posted by testore View Post
    A refinished instrument is always worth considerably less than a fresh one. The mandolin is more playable, but less valuable.
    Less valuable to whom exactly? The current owner or some future owner? We're not discussing a Loar signed F-5 here of which there are not many all original examples remaining and hence their "value" in the marketplace. This is a relatively recent Gibson that left the factory in less than optimal condition. How much value can be attached to that? Putting it right has at the very least stabilized that downward decline in value. I would contend that it has enhanced the value considerably by addressing the build issues (weight, tinny sound, etc.) and upgrading to a custom finish that's as good (or better?) than the original Gibson lacquer finish. I think the current owner had a vision for this mandolin and Jonathan helped him realize it. Who cares how the future market will value this mandolin if the current owner is happy with the results now? BTW I'm too am waiting with baited breath to see/hear how the re-voicing goes with the '51 F-12. My '56 F-12 was revoiced by Randy Wood back in 2008 and it was worth every penny in sound transformation. I did however decline Randy's advice to do a total varnish refinish. The 50's nitro finish is one that is near and dear to my aging heart.

Len B.
    Clearwater, FL
    Last edited by lenf12; Nov-09-2014 at 11:23am.

5. The following members say thank you to lenf12 for this post: