Thread: Does the GatorJourneyman case would fit a 1913 Gibson A Style?

Default Does the GatorJourneyman case would fit a 1913 Gibson A Style?

Does anyone happen to know if the "Gator GW-JM Journeyman Deluxe Mandolin Case" would fit a 1913 Gibson A-Style mandolin? Unfortunately, I just sold the bridge of off my mando and I am waiting on a new one to come from Siminoff so I can't get an accurate depth measurement. I am guessing it would be around 3-1/2"? The people at Gator say that it fits an A-Style, but I've been told that before and the cases didn't actually fit. They also said that the interior depth is 3-1/4" but they don't know if that includes the arched part of the case!?

Thanks,

Ryan

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/acces...luxe-wood-case

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gator.jpg 
Views:	329 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	125234
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gator 2.jpg 
Views:	201 
Size:	11.3 KB 
ID:	125235

Default Re: Does the GatorJourneyman case would fit a 1913 Gibson A Style

Why not measure all dimensions? width length height and such, and communicate with real numbers

the the seller can measure the case in question.

there are arched top cases too .. IDK that one .. looks Flat Topped.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

It is an arch top case. I have all of the measurements of my mando except for the depth (I explain in my 1st post), and I've called around and the only measurements that the stores and Gator seem to have are those which are listed on their sites. Nobody will actually go and measure one because they are in boxes and in warehouses. I was just hoping someone might have some 1st hand experience. I may just order one and see.

Gibson F5L Gibson A5L
    Blog Entries

If this is the same case posted on Musicians Friend website R/
    http://http://www.musiciansfriend.co...ncase &index=9

Features Fits most mandolins
    Traditional wood case craftsmanship
    Antique brass hardware
    Royal blue crushed velvet Interior
    Pebble weave burlap exterior with espresso trim
    Internal accessory compartment
    Interior Dimensions Body Length: 14.25"
    Body Height: 3.25"
    Lower Bout Width: 10.25"
    Middle Bout Width: 10.5"
    Upper Bout Width: 6.75"
    Overall Length: 28"
    Exterior Dimensions Exterior Length: 30"
    Exterior Width: 14.5"
    Exterior Height: 5.25"
    Exterior Weight: 5.2 lb.
    I love hanging out with mandolin nerds . . . . . Thanks peeps ...

Quote Originally Posted by UsuallyPickin View Post
    If this is the same case posted on Musicians Friend website R/
    http://http://www.musiciansfriend.co...ncase &index=9

Features Fits most mandolins
    Traditional wood case craftsmanship
    Antique brass hardware
    Royal blue crushed velvet Interior
    Pebble weave burlap exterior with espresso trim
    Internal accessory compartment
    Interior Dimensions Body Length: 14.25"
    Lower Bout Width: 10.25"
    Middle Bout Width: 10.5"
    Upper Bout Width: 6.75"
    Exterior Dimensions Exterior Length: 30"
    Exterior Width: 14.5"
    Exterior Height: 5.25"
    Exterior Weight: 5.2 lb.
    I am a little confused as you didn't finish your sentence. Yes, it is the same case that I provided the link for. Do you happen to know if teens Gibson A will fit in one?

So Measure and compare..

You cant measure your Mandolin? I cant do it for you.

this part i what you compare to:

interior Dimensions

Body Length: 14.25"

may be this is inside too
    Lower .. Width: 10.25"
    Middle .. Width: 10.5"
    Upper .. Width: 6.75"

Cant do that? Order it, Try it, and if its not satisfactory , Send It Back.

call, talk to Operators , they take things back
    some items , they send the label to pay the return, UPS.
    Last edited by mandroid; Oct-23-2014 at 2:34pm.
    writing about music
    is like dancing,
    about architecture

Quote Originally Posted by mandroid View Post
    So Measure and compare..

You cant measure your Mandolin? I cant do it for you.
    Please do not take offense to the following. It is not my intent to offend anyone, but I am going to be straight to the point and don't want it to be interpreted that way.

Maybe you just missed my earlier post(s), or misinterpreted something that I stated (I am guilty of that myself sometimes)?

Yes, I can measure my own mandolin.

I have every measurement except for the depth. Because as I stated in my initial post I am lacking a bridge at the moment.

I believe that I also stated that I would guess (educated guess) the depth to be 3 1/2".

I also have all of the measurements of the Gator case which is how I know that they came up with 3 1/4" as the interior depth (I also attached a link that includes these measurements in my initial post).

I called Gator and they said it would fit an A style mandolin, but if their measurements are correct and my guess is correct (which I believe it is), then my A style would not fit.

I called a few stores and they said that because the description says that the case fits most mandolins and not mine specifically that I would be responsible for the return shipping costs if it didn't fit.

This is why I was asking if anyone had any first hand experience with the case as I didn't want to go through the hassle of sending things back and having to pay to do so.

I guess that I'll just hold off until I find someone who is in the know, or I find one locally. I just liked the idea of the F style case because there would be more room for a humidifier.

-Ryan
    Last edited by westsideryan; Oct-23-2014 at 6:16pm.

I say buy the case, see if it fits ad return it if it doesn't. Simple and easy.
    Waterloo WL-M

Blues Mando Social Group - member

Like I said early... I don't want to pay the return shipping if it doesn't fit. I also don't want to have to drop it off at UPS if it doesn't fit. If it was "simple and easy" for me I would have just ordered one.

-Ryan

Without having any information that can help you, Ryan --

Let me say that a careful reading of your initial post, which included the information that your mandolin currently lacks a bridge, so that you can't "just measure it" but are estimating its thickness, and your later posts, which stated that dealers aren't willing to pull a case out of its wrapping and measure the depth at the "deepest" point under the arch, and also stated that you didn't want to order a case, find it unsatisfactory, and pay to send it back --

Would have precluded some of the less-than-helpful responses we provided. So let me apologize for our talking past you, to some extent.

Having said that, you may just have to wait until the new bridge arrives from Siminoff, so that you can install it and measure that dimension. I, like you, am a bit suspicious of any case that claims to fit any A-style mandolin, as there's enough variance in body depths and bridge heights to make that claim a bit reckless. I have an old Gibson 3-point F-2, whose body is just enough longer than the later F-model "standard" dimensions to make it a real "squeeze" into most F-model cases. As a result, the headstock fit so tightly against the first case I acquired, that I had the small curl broken off it twice just from setting the case down a bit too firmly.

I ended up buying a rectangular case and having the interior padding reworked to fit the 3-point. You may find that the Gator fits fine, but it might make sense to hold off until you can make an accurate measurement of your mandolin's depth.

Good luck.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Quote Originally Posted by allenhopkins View Post
    Without having any information that can help you, Ryan --

Let me say that a careful reading of your initial post, which included the information that your mandolin currently lacks a bridge, so that you can't "just measure it" but are estimating its thickness, and your later posts, which stated that dealers aren't willing to pull a case out of its wrapping and measure the depth at the "deepest" point under the arch, and also stated that you didn't want to order a case, find it unsatisfactory, and pay to send it back --

Would have precluded some of the less-than-helpful responses we provided. So let me apologize for our talking past you, to some extent.

Having said that, you may just have to wait until the new bridge arrives from Siminoff, so that you can install it and measure that dimension. I, like you, am a bit suspicious of any case that claims to fit any A-style mandolin, as there's enough variance in body depths and bridge heights to make that claim a bit reckless. I have an old Gibson 3-point F-2, whose body is just enough longer than the later F-model "standard" dimensions to make it a real "squeeze" into most F-model cases. As a result, the headstock fit so tightly against the first case I acquired, that I had the small curl broken off it twice just from setting the case down a bit too firmly.

I ended up buying a rectangular case and having the interior padding reworked to fit the 3-point. You may find that the Gator fits fine, but it might make sense to hold off until you can make an accurate measurement of your mandolin's depth.

Good luck.
    Thanks.

Sorry to hear that an "unfit" case broke the curls off of your Gibson.

I actually got the bridge tonight and I am currently taking a break from fitting it.

I could have gotten the case for $50 with free shipping (which might be part of the reason I'd have to pay to return it if it didn't work out), but the offer ended about 2 hours or so ago so I will just hold off for a while.

I was trying to keep the whole "sale" thing under wraps because someone currently has one of these for sale in the classifieds here and I didn't really want to interfere with that. But now I am pretty sure the cheapest you can get them for is $79.

I am without a car for 2-3 weeks because in my spare time I have started replacing the top end of my car's engine. Because of this it would be rather difficult and time consuming for me to get to UPS if I needed to mail something back.

Also, because I am a full time student at the moment (I went back to school after being laid off for two years and unable to find a job that paid a living wage) I don't really have an income and live off of savings. So, right now the $10-$15 it would cost to mail something back impacts me more than it ever would have in the past.

-Ryan

12. The following members say thank you to westsideryan for this post:

Let me reiterate, "good luck." Sounds like you could use some.

And I hope your mandolin brings you some enjoyment as you work through tough times.
    Allen Hopkins
    Gibsn: '54 F5 3pt F2 A-N Custm K1 m'cello
    Natl Triolian Dobro mando
    Victoria b-back Merrill alumnm b-back
    H-O mandolinetto
    Stradolin Vega banjolin
    Sobell'dola Washburn b-back'dola
    Eastmn: 615'dola 805 m'cello
    Flatiron 3K OM

Thanks. Things aren't that tough, just different. In fact, in a way, (as twisted as it may sound) I sometimes feel a little bit grateful that life has thrown me a bit of a curve ball as my current circumstances have actually taught me quite a lot.

-Ryan

15. The following members say thank you to westsideryan for this post: